GPS.....hmmm

gulbane

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So when I go to maps it seems to function exactly like my old v1 did. I get a big circle around my location - and Im actually located a block or so away on a different street.

Do I have something set wrong, or is the 'real' GPS just not that detailed? It seems to be slightly smaller of a circle on the map showing where I am.

When I tried Loopt, it put my location a block off. :/

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I'm in my house, top floor. Ah, so it needs a direct view of the sky - just like normal car GPS's. Im a dope, thanks!
Hm, well I'm in the top floor of my house and GPS worked. Must be circumstantial.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Mine was a bit slow going at first but I've tried it several times since and it has located me with no problem.

However, when I entered into my Camera App for the first time, it asked if I wanted Camera to locate me. I had no idea what that meant.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
Mine was a bit slow going at first but I've tried it several times since and it has located me with no problem.

However, when I entered into my Camera App for the first time, it asked if I wanted Camera to locate me. I had no idea what that meant.
That means it will add the longitude/latitude (your location, basically) to the information embedded into your photos. That way, when you upload them to Flickr or somewhere else, anyone can click on the photo/map to see exactly where you were when the photo was taken.

It's called geotagging.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
That means it will add the longitude/latitude (your location, basically) to the information embedded into your photos. That way, when you upload them to Flickr or somewhere else, anyone can click on the photo/map to see exactly where you were when the photo was taken.

It's called geotagging.
Very smart thinking. I had a feeling it was for something related to this. Very neat.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal

I think the camera can use the GPS to store the geolocation in the EXIF meta data for the picture. Meaning AFIK that you can group pictures by location or find pictures with certain coordinates...

[oops my response was in the making as the other more accurate one was posted above]

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
It does the same thing on the V1 iPhone with firmware 2.0. I guess it's using the Cell towers on V1.

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
when i first got the iPhone, the gps would work. i was thinking it was one of those gps devices that required an extra item.
I tested itagain today and its brilliant :)
Quick and easy to use.

dotcom

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
i think i found a glitch in the system, every other time i fire up the maps or any program using location, it shows me in south carolina! im in denver lol. even when the gps is not being used and it is locking on to the cell towers it shows me in south carolina. any thoughts?

gregneedham

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Used it today in my car. It was amazing....blue dot was at most 30 feet off of my position, and it followed me around the corners and through the streets as close to real time as I could ask for.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
"locate me" doesn't seem to work at all for me.
my 2G iPhone would find me, but on 3G the icon in Maps just spins and never gives me any location (outside or inside)....

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
So when I go to maps it seems to function exactly like my old v1 did. I get a big circle around my location - and Im actually located a block or so away on a different street.

Do I have something set wrong, or is the 'real' GPS just not that detailed? It seems to be slightly smaller of a circle on the map showing where I am.

When I tried Loopt, it put my location a block off. :/
you need a direct connection to a gps satellite

dotcom

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
a reset and restore fixed my problem, i have also found that if you enter gps coordinates in the search field on google maps it will drop a pin :) geocaching here we go

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
gps, blue dot w/ directions questions

when I am looking for directions and enter the destination I noticed that the blue gps dot will move where I am driving, but why doesn't it automatically go to #1, #2, etc....instead I have to manually press the right arrow? I thought it work in a way that when the blue dot got past #1 the iPhone would move it to #2 automatically.