GPS: is it working right?

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
MY GPS does not work like the demo showed by Steve Jobs. It moves to a spot pauses and then moves to another spot. Its not tracking or following smoothly at all. Is this how your GPS is working or is mine defective?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
MY GPS does not work like the demo showed by Steve Jobs. It moves to a spot pauses and then moves to another spot. Its not tracking or following smoothly at all. Is this how your GPS is working or is mine defective?
Sometimes mine acts like you described, and sometimes mine acts like in the Apple videos. It just depends on how strong of a GPS signal you have and also things like, if the phone is in an open area with a clear view of the sky.

cpolaris502

Bronze
Nov 15, 2007
Rogers, MN
yup, mine is both ways too. smooth sometimes, jerky other times. it definitely is accurate though. i was on satellite view walking around my driveway and it followed me perfectly. my driveway is about 50'x20'.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
yesterday my gps was acting that way. But then again the area I was at I would always switch between edge and 3g

unitas

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Ok, I might have a weak GPS antenna. I'm going to bring it back to Apple for an exchange. Other than the GPS, everything works fine. I don't want to bring it in and get a Defective screen or something even worse. The grass is not always greener.

I do want the smooth GPS though...

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Where are you from? If you're from a large city or heavily forested area, the line of sight to the satellites will be weak and won't track properly.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Posters in the growing thread on Apple's discussion board complaining about iPhone 3G signal issues were excited by the possibility that the new firmware update might correct their problems. Apple has not acknowledged any issue with the iPhone 3G's ability to maintain a connection to worldwide 3G networks, but complaints have been pouring in about a higher-than-usual frequency of dropped calls and weak signals in areas that accommodate other 3G phones without problems.

...and you people say complaining doesn't do anything.

+1 for the complainer

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey
Mines also like that.. works smoothly sometimes while not during others.

Its also the same during App installing. Sometimes installing an App takes a few seconds, other times it says minutes and it crashes the phone..

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
for me it seems to work fine when driving normal but if your on the highway or going speeds of 50 plus it seems to be a bit like yous aid were it goes stops loads goes ect..

cpolaris502

Bronze
Nov 15, 2007
Rogers, MN
Ok, I might have a weak GPS antenna. I'm going to bring it back to Apple for an exchange. Other than the GPS, everything works fine. I don't want to bring it in and get a Defective screen or something even worse. The grass is not always greener.

so the gps works but it just doesn't track your movement smoothly? theres nothing wrong with that. it could very easily be the area that you are in, its not ones fault. of course the demo is going to look perfect.

Bravo

Bronze
Nov 14, 2007
Hollywood

weak GPS antenna

man you have a vivid imagination!

(posted while tethered)

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
it mostly has to do with the software's signal read rate. I think it's slow compared to, say a Garmin handheld GPS unit. I think every time you see the blue circle resonate, that's the refresh rate. My garmin reads about once per second.

When it moves smoothly it's more like connect the dots and it looks like a predictive track code was written into the software.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
The iPhone has a-gps, not gps (a-gps is better). So if it cannot find a satellite signal, it should still be able to work via the cell phone towers. Not as good as the satellites, but still good enough. So maybe the spotty movement is due to that?

CKhaleel

Aug 3, 2008
It all depends on location and how fast the network is going...

Jul 14, 2008
I think that is how they work off and on. Mine does the same thing occasionally and it is only sometimes accurate. Earlier today while at work, it showed me as being two blocks away from where I really was though a few times it has been able to pick me up there within a few feet. This is while using 3G.

There have been a few times it has showed me as traveling through peoples backyards and one time, it showed me as driving through a lake, several hundred feet to the left side of the road. I did manage to stay dry somehow after that one.:eek:

Remember, if you need a real GPS get a Garmin or something that is usually accurate within a few feet.

IndyBlues

Jul 29, 2008
Mine works the same as described above, sometimes smooth, sometimes choppy.
My only complaint is getting the direction of travel to always point up on the iPhone.
It's a pain to keep turning the phone while driving. Am I doing someting wrong, or is this the standard?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Yes I have found that to be a pain also. There is no way of having the direction you are traveling pointing up, like a normal GPS does (via settings).

Let's hope it could be in future firmware upgrades?

Mine works the same as described above, sometimes smooth, sometimes choppy.
My only complaint is getting the direction of travel to always point up on the iPhone.
It's a pain to keep turning the phone while driving. Am I doing someting wrong, or is this the standard?

Disasterpiece

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
Danville, California
Mine has been consistantly smooth.

One thing i hate about it though, when im driving, and wathcing my little dot track my postion, hte screen doesn't move with the dot, so im constantly reaching for the iPhone while driving, and trying to move the screen so i can see the dot again...lame.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Mine has been consistantly smooth.

One thing i hate about it though, when im driving, and wathcing my little dot track my postion, hte screen doesn't move with the dot, so im constantly reaching for the iPhone while driving, and trying to move the screen so i can see the dot again...lame.
Yes I completely agree. The dot should be kept within a certain range in the middle of the screen on its own with no adjustments from the user. It's quite a pain especially when the map is zoomed in a bit.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Yes I completely agree. The dot should be kept within a certain range in the middle of the screen on its own with no adjustments from the user. It's quite a pain especially when the map is zoomed in a bit.

This is achieved by making sure the blue crosshair/circle in the lower left of the maps screen is "BLUE". If you aren't centered on your screen, tap this icon and you will get centered and the map will scroll with you.