GPS locates me 3 blocks away

louveres

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Grayslake, Illinois
Ever since I got my new 3 GS on Iday 3, I saw that the GPS never gets my current location right. I went to the Apple store, they did a reset network to no avail. Did anybody else have this problem? My wife's 3G works perfectly, the GPS is very accurate.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
My iPhone is always right. If I were getting that result, I'd probably move. :eek:k:eek:k

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
is it always 3 blocks off or it is at a certain spot...

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
ipwn3gs has a good question. If this only happens in one location then there could be a gap in the GPS coverage there or something else interfering. If it happens everywhere, then go get it fixed/replaced.

Joe

louveres

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Grayslake, Illinois
No, it's everywhere. Even when driving on the Highway, it doesn't move with me. There has to be something wrong.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
If your wife's 3G's GPS works fine in the same vicinity, I'd say there's a bad GPS chip and it's only using cell tower triangulation. Get it replaced.

Shonai

Jun 24, 2009
Well, in 'Map', my phone locates me at the exact spot that the closest Cell tower is. Wich is a bit to my left, across the river.

Otherwise its very precise.:eek:k:eek:k

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
My first iPhone 3G had this issue. Took it into the Apple store and when they tried the gps it put me a few miles away. They promptly exchanged it.

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
At my house, the GPS always puts me about 2 miles away (in the middle of a bay!). However, the GPS is accurate pretty much everywhere else...

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
No, it's everywhere. Even when driving on the Highway, it doesn't move with me. There has to be something wrong.

haha i can imagine you making in a one way street on wrong way or something . be safe tho :sneaky:
i am sure Apple will take care of you.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Sometimes the phones have interference from something. For instance, my 3G places me in Istanbul, Turkey whenever I'm in my school (work). I thought it was just my phone, until a coworker tried hers....and she was also located in Turkey.

I told my principal that since we were clearly NOT in NY, we should not be subject to state budget cuts. :005:snicker

louveres

Bronze
Jul 22, 2007
Grayslake, Illinois
I went to the Apple store, got a new phone right away. The guy at the Genius bar was very helpful, and found out that the GPS module was bad in my old phone.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Sometimes the phones have interference from something. For instance, my 3G places me in Istanbul, Turkey whenever I'm in my school (work). I thought it was just my phone, until a coworker tried hers....and she was also located in Turkey.

I told my principal that since we were clearly NOT in NY, we should not be subject to state budget cuts. :005:snicker
I was once driving in DC, and my 3G told me that I was a few miles outside of Six Flags in Georgia.

Another time it had me near Peabody, Massachusetts, which I have lived near, though not in years.