GPS/Location Services - Question

itrocks4u

Jan 13, 2009
Hi,

I just recently got my iPhone 3G and for now did not get a data plan. I have made sure that Edge (through Boss Prefs) and 3G is OFF and also asked my service provider to block my internet access. Seems it works fine since if the WIFI is off, it simply says 'could not connect' or 'safari could not open the page at it is not connected to the internet'. That should be good enough to no there is no internet working on my iPhone?

Now the topic, So I was outside my house using wireless and playing around with google maps. It tracked my location through the dot (pinpoint). but as i started moving in my car, the pinpoint kept moving as well (no more wireless). So if Edge is OFF and 3G is OFF too, how was it still tracking?

I also noticed that there were parts of the screen where there was no map but only the pinpoint going around.

Does it have to do something with Location Services? I had it on off but maps asked me to turn them on to locate me. Do I pay for those location services? Like do I need to have a data plan or is it making use of internet? Or is it just GPS?

Please let me know. I really don't want huge charges on my account without knowing.

Thanks.

Regards,

S

nutty88

Oct 17, 2008
iPhone comes with a built-in GPS that is used to update your current location, which is how the pinpoint is updated as you move. Maps are downloaded on-the-fly via GPRS and since you have turned off EDGE and 3G, you will not get the maps onto the device.

I am not sure what data plan you have with your telco but GPRS data is expensive in where I live. Luckily I signed up a 50gb data plan with my telco. I was shocked to see 500+mb of data being downloaded and the amount came up to USD1,100. Of course this was knocked off due to the plan.

itrocks4u

Jan 13, 2009
iPhone comes with a built-in GPS that is used to update your current location, which is how the pinpoint is updated as you move. Maps are downloaded on-the-fly via GPRS and since you have turned off EDGE and 3G, you will not get the maps onto the device.

I am not sure what data plan you have with your telco but GPRS data is expensive in where I live. Luckily I signed up a 50gb data plan with my telco. I was shocked to see 500+mb of data being downloaded and the amount came up to USD1,100. Of course this was knocked off due to the plan.
So basically if I can't download maps, it means 3G/EDGE/GPRS is NOT working on my account?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Maps also load via WiFi, or So I thought....
I just confirmed it on my 3g phone. Airplane mode, WiFi on, location services on. Maps loaded fast and location was determined quickly - INSIDE my office.

itrocks4u

Jan 13, 2009
Maps also load via WiFi, or So I thought....
I just confirmed it on my 3g phone. Airplane mode, WiFi on, location services on. Maps loaded fast and location was determined quickly - INSIDE my office.

yes. I'm okay with WiFi since i'm not charged for that with the service provider.

But I'm more concerned about the rest of 'em (3G/EDGE/GPRS)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You're going to have to put the phone in Airplane mode in order to use any service that would normally use data, and then use WiFi. Otherwise, the phone doesn't know what plan you are on, and it will use whatever means it has at it's disposal to connect and perform it's normal function.

itrocks4u

Jan 13, 2009
Can't I just turn 3G OFF from the options and Edge OFF as well through Boss Prefs?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Can't I just turn 3G OFF from the options and Edge OFF as well through Boss Prefs?
Well, if you turn them both off, can you still make a phone call? If you can, then you can pull data, which means you can be billed.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Man - don't get me wrong!.. But I love my free data-plan, and could not live without Safari and mails on the road! ;)