GPS / Maps Question

dutchin

Jul 22, 2008
Hi guys,

just a quick question, I have just bought an iPhone 3G outright with no contract in Australia from Telstra. Now they have unlocked it for me at the store for a fee, i had to call their techs from the store, and aparently my phone will be unlocked and i can use any sim in it after 72 hours. Ok, so i have it home now and i can use all other features of the phone, but my question is, i have it hooked up to wifi in my house, and when browsing maps everything works fine but i cant seem to get it to locate me, even when outside. is it a problem that i don't have a sim card in the phone? i figured without a sim card it would just locate me with gps and wifi?

thanks

andy

dutchin

Jul 22, 2008
so basically what you are saying then is that the gps function on the iPhone is useless unless there is phone reception? hmmm that could be kinda crappy where i live

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
the GPS should work independent of the service provider. Here in the States, the government has birds in the sky that are free for all to access, but my question is does Australia have their own GPS satellites for free use? Without any GPS connection, location would solely be based on cell tower location and/or wifi connection.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
My "locate" feature in Maps has a hard time inside my apartment as well. I think Wifi actually does a lot more harm than it does good.

When you're on Wifi, the first piece of information the phone uses to get your location is your IP address, which really is not that accurate at all. It will find what city I'm in, but the blue circle will be around some part of the city that I'm definitely not in. This, I think, can really mess up the GPS part of the phone, especially if you don't have that great of a signal to a satelite.