GPS TomTom or other software

swimtorg

Dec 7, 2008
I am really bummed how I can not find any software that will give you turn by turn directions or even real time GPS directions. Does anyone know if any software that is either ready for a jailbroken phone or in the app store that will allow this?

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I agree, some sort of software should have been out by now. Im thinking though that maybe the iPhone is just not ideal for turn by turn because of the time it can take edge to render some map pages, which could be the reason for no apps yet. But this is just speculation on my part.
btw welcome to EIC, (E-ntertaining & I-ntelligent C-onversation)

swimtorg

Dec 7, 2008
I do not see why Edge or the 3g network has anything to do with it. There is a built in GPS receiver that should work, and you can go ahead and install the maps on the iPhone. I had the Nokia n95 with GPS and tomtom worked on it because it had a built in GPS, I did not have to connect to the interent. Now granted not having to install the maps woudl be great, but even over the 3g connection it should work

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Yes, your right, that is a good point, with the installed maps edge should should not matter. How much memory do the maps eat up?

swimtorg

Dec 7, 2008
I am sure they do not take up that much. I think that when I installed tomtom on my other phones the file was a 1 GB, but because you pay for the stupid internet you should be able buy download maps as you need them.

Yes, your right, that is a good point, with the installed maps edge should should not matter. How much memory do the maps eat up?

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would love to see TomTom Navigation on my iPhone. I have used the European Maps with Dell PDA in my car, and like the way TomTom make their software!

You can then go buy an car holder/adapter for the iPhone...cool!