GPush is RELEASED!

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I've not tried it yet, since I use nuevasync.

But, try it, for $0.99, here....

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I'm not impressed thus far, seriously. And, wehre's the support from the creator? Well, Anyone? Bueller?

fedexgnd

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Just tried to buy it and got a message saying product no longer available. That didn't last long

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
You're right! I think it was/is a good thing...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well I got it, but it's not working. They apparently have some server issues to work out on their end. I couldn't connect to register.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
...just received an email:
Ivan,
It's not a problem with the application - there is a server issue we are experiencing - the whole team is working on fixing the problem, which we hope will be resolved later today. Please bear with us.
To stay up to speed follow us at http://twitter.com/GPush4iPhone
Thank you,
Dave - Team GPush @gpush4iPhone...

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
So this is ALMOST push but not quite? Not a bad workaround for 1 buck.

fedexgnd

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
I wonder when there will get servers back up?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
?

I'm not sure I want my mail going through a 3rd party, let alone a 3rd party who cannot even get their servers working on the first day of release.

--
Mike

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
?

I'm not sure I want my mail going through a 3rd party, let alone a 3rd party who cannot even get their servers working on the first day of release.

--
Mike
The mail isn't routed through their servers at all. All Gpush does is simply notify you of new mail, but you still have to physically open the mail app to read it.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Too Late, Switched all my stuff over to MobileMe and loving it. Gmail is a thing of the past for me.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
it's still good for junk email. no need to spoil your mobileme with that.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The mail isn't routed through their servers at all. All Gpush does is simply notify you of new mail, but you still have to physically open the mail app to read it.
Maybe I didn't express myself properly.

You need to supply your Gmail password to Gpush. On their end, presumably on their servers, your gmail account is constantly accessed. Once a new mail is received they know it, because they are logged in as you. They then send you a push notification, and you can then check Gmail manually.

I don't really know anything about this company other than they were planning to release Gpush, released it, then had to pull it because of server issues. Guess I'm not comfortable with them having access to nearly all of my email.

What I do now is have my gmail forwarded to MobileMe. Actually I only have mail I consider important forwarded to MobileMe, primarily so I can get a push notification. I still check my mail on the iPhone via Gmail. I didn't find push sped up the checking email process all that much anyway.

--
Mike

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
They are losing some serious credibility with this server issue. I'm starting to think I wasted a buck.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I've tried PushMail, it just works...

But, with GPush, I'm really not sure what to say now. I wish I never bought it, but more importantly never signed up to it. The money is not the issue here, just the whole server thing. It just tells me they were not really ready...

This seems like a cool one. PushMail App

Anyone tried it? From this site, the dev says nothing is stored longer than what is needed for the push. No Gmail account info needs to be entered.

http://justanotheriPhoneblog.com/wordpress/iphone-software/pushmail-app-push-gmail-on-an-iphone

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
PushMail requires forwarding all mail to them. Not that I don't trust these smaller companies, I'm just a little leery of giving that much trust to a small company I don't know.

But in essense, that is what I do with MobileMe. I suppose, if Yahoo push works for you, you could use that too (I never had good or consistent results with Yahoo push).

--
Mike