Grainy iPhone pics (synced from iTunes)

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
This applys to every iPhone owner outhere.

I don't know why no one has made a big fuzz about photos in your iPhone being grainy or low res...(not your camera roll pics)...this has been an ongoing issue with iTunes primarily because it "Optimizes" your photos when synced to the iPhone causing it to show grainy or low res.

how can we enjoy our sharp, crisp photos on our iPhone if iTunes converts it to low res...atleast we should have an option on weather we want it this way or not.

This happens with any type of photo, whether it's high res or 320x480.

if you haven't noticed...go to your photos on your iPhone and look at what im talking about...then go to your Stock wallpaper that came with your iPhone and compare them....

i Think we should all send Apple an e-mail about this...and maybe...just maybe they might do something about it.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
You know what, I noticed this and was going to make a post about it but forgot all about it. What brought it to my attention was when I synced my photos off of my camera roll to create a new photo folder for those pics and when I synced them back they looked worse than before.
I wonder if there is a way around it. Like stop iTunes from syncing photos all together and just manage your pics with Windows Explorer via drag and drop?

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
well...I totally misread the title and expected to see pics of naked old ladies.

Bummer!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Doesn't do this in a Mac. iPhoto imports full-size full-quality images. Mine are very clear.

- John

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Doesn't do this in a Mac. iPhoto imports full-size full-quality images. Mine are very clear.

- John
really? Are you talking about the same thing the OP is? I'm on a mac and have the same issue. Images synced FROM iPhoto TO the phone are grainy at full zoom.

Are you saying that if, on your phone, you zoom in all the way on a photo that did not originate from your phone, you do not see a fuzzy polka dot pattern?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
oh wow i never noticed that
(probably because the pix i sync to the phone are just wallpapers and i cant zoom in)
its kinda subtle but its noticeable when zoomed in

why would they do that when you have 8gigs (or 16) of space

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly

- John
Yeah, you got this backwards, john. The OP is complaining about the processing iTunes does on photos when you tranfer them TO your iPhone.

I'm pretty sure they do this to keep the photo app running at a consistent, peppy speed. Huge graphics files could take a minute or more to render on the iPhone's processor, and panning and zooming would be dramatically slower.