Grand Central

OhWhyMe

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Has anyone got an accounted started with Grand Central lately? I "reserved a number" with them but I don't know if they are accepting more users yet or what. If you have how long did it take for your account to get set up after you reserved your number. Thanks!

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I got my number before they closed it to new users and it was active immediately for me, IIRC. I love the service - I use my GrandCentral number all the time for Craigslist ads and other situations when I don't want to give out my cell phone number.

OhWhyMe

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
I got my number before they closed it to new users and it was active immediately for me, IIRC. I love the service - I use my GrandCentral number all the time for Craigslist ads and other situations when I don't want to give out my cell phone number.
Can you give invites out still? If so can u send me one?
Thanks

GreenHead

Jul 24, 2007
I did not see anything about invites on there. I have a number but never use it. Forgot I had it until this thread poped up.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I have an account but I don't see anymore option for sending out anymore invites & I know I didn't use all of them so they may have closed it.

OhWhyMe

Bronze
Jan 17, 2008
Well I suppose I'll have to wait for them to start accepting new users. It seems like it's been awhile since they stopped taking new users, I wonder what's taking so long.

oakie

Bronze
Oct 18, 2008
Las Vegas
www.revtarded.com
I did not see anything about invites on there. I have a number but never use it. Forgot I had it until this thread poped up.
it's been a closed beta for about 8 months now.

Well I suppose I'll have to wait for them to start accepting new users. It seems like it's been awhile since they stopped taking new users, I wonder what's taking so long.
closed beta. the main issue was that they ran out of numbers to assign and arent going to purchase more until they move out of beta. the secondary issue was while in open beta, they were getting too many users giving too little feedback, which pretty much caused the whole test to come to a grinding halt. only recently have they made decent testing progress and new features are slowly being rolled out for testing again.

i will say their new routing system has improved call quality tremendously beginning a couple of months ago. i was on the verge of donating my account to someone else because of the call quality sounding like a half-duplex speakerphone, with the incoming sound cutting out if both parties spoke at the same time. now i couldnt be happier.

but for those looking for GrandCentral's single number/multi-point contact capability, first consider that once it gets opened up again, they will begin charging fees. the whole GC system was always intended from the start to be a paid service.

if you're accepting of that fact but still want the functionality, look into www.phonefusionone.com it's the same exact type of service, but with more available features, like data/fax capability and PBX options.