grandfather plan

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
hey guys
im currently on a grandfather family plan (att no longer sells these plans, we only have it because we never upgraded). Its cheaper, and is better than the plans att is currently offering.
however, to get the iPhone, we would have to dump this plan and get a new one which is about 60 bucks more expensive.
worth it?

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
I don't know that I'd be able to justify $60 a month just so I could have an iPhone.

That said... if you look at it this way, things change a bit. You've had this old plan and, presumably, lived with an old phone for quite some time. Over that time, you've saved a considerable amount of money because you continued to pay yesterday's price on today's product. All of that savings is money in your pocket... money you COULD say you were "saving for an iPhone", part of the expense of which is an upgrade to your plan.

juzcallmeg0d

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
ummm u shouldnt have to ditch your current plan when u upgrade

you would just add the data plan to what you have now

ive seen people upgrade a *literally* 10 year old phone to a brand new phone and keep their 10 year old plan.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
ummm u shouldnt have to ditch your current plan when u upgrade

you would just add the data plan to what you have now

ive seen people upgrade a *literally* 10 year old phone to a brand new phone and keep their 10 year old plan.

trust me, you have to. i asked them if you could tag on the u.d, but they literally said,
"well, we are told that we have to get rid of all these plans from the system, so unfortunately, you would have to upgrade"

trust me, i asked a'plenty. i have to upgrade. question is, is it worth it?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
trust me, you have to. i asked them if you could tag on the u.d, but they literally said,
"well, we are told that we have to get rid of all these plans from the system, so unfortunately, you would have to upgrade"

Why don't you tell us what you're paying now? And yes, nearly anything is worth it for the iPhone.

dukefan

Jul 6, 2008
I stopped in two different AT&T stores today to get a sense of what might happen on Friday. Both had a manager up front so I had a person who might be around on Friday to back up what they said.

Question 1:
I have a current plan that I like - do I have to change it to swap out an iPhone?

Answer: No. All plans remain in place for existing AT&T customers. The only thing you have to add is the data plan for the iPhone. Since I am changing out a Blackberry for the iPhone3G, it's basically a non-event. I'm paying $30/month for the BB, and now it will be $30/month for the iPhone3G. No change in cost at all - just a 2-yr extension.

Question 2:
I want to change another RAZR to an iPhone.... what's it gonna cost?

Answer: Just a $30 data plan in addition to what you have now.

Question 3:
I want to buy two iPhones on Friday... can I do it.
Answer:
No - Corporate AT&T Policy is one iPhone per person. However, a person is defined as anyone breathing. So bring a child and you can get one for each...
:cool:

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California

If they're trying to get rid of the old account plans, they're gonna find a way to make you upgrade at some point anyway. Life is short. If you can afford the increase, I say go for it. Can you cut out $60 of fast food and entertainment or something... call it an investment in your health. :)

You must be paying nothin' (and have very few minutes) if the new plan alone is going to increase your monthly cost by $60. We're adding a second iPhone as the account primary (me) and passing the v1 along to my husband, dropping our minutes back (with 11,000 roll over minutes, we've clearly been paying for too many), changing from individual texting plans for my daughter and me to a family text plan, and getting the corporate discount reinstated (because of the 3G being the primary instead of the v1)... our bill is going to go up $7 a month.

thedunn805

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
I had the same problem for the first iPhone
you have to upgrade

Revs9k01

Jul 2, 2007
11,000 RO MINS!

How is that possible? I have like 1,000 expire every month and the total never goes above 2,000.

Life isn't fair.......

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
It's just hard to say this time. At&t has really changed their businesss model since last year. They might very well require you to upgrade your plan to a current choice.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
Danger--Rip Off Attempt

Well, no you don't. I have kept my plan for 6 years now and I will not give up 1100 Family minutes for $59 + $9.99 for the 2nd line with roll over. I have about 4800 rollover minutes banked.

I already went to an AT&T store and asked what I would have to do. I was told just switch my $20 data plan to the $30 plan. Text plans are optional, but it's $0.20 per text, so I have to make that selection.

If I were you, I would go to another AT&T store or an Apple Store. That's bull$#!* that you HAVE to upgrade. They just want to get the commission off of your new plan. Did you ask for a manager? Did you make a stink that you know people who have not had to upgrade? Did you call AT&T customer service?

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
11,000 RO MINS!

How is that possible? I have like 1,000 expire every month and the total never goes above 2,000.

Life isn't fair.......
We upped to 1400 minutes a month when we added the fourth family member to the plan; it seemed the smart thing to do because I couldn't see how 700 minutes could POSSIBLY be enough given that YEARS ago I was struggling with 500 minutes on an individual plan. But the mobile-to-moblie makes a HUGE difference for us. Nearly everyone we talk to has AT&T.

I just pulled my current balance. We have 11,518 RO minutes with 864 expiring this month.

That's a lot of wasted money. :(

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
I'm in the same boat and my bill will be doubling and I'll have half the minutes. They basically say "too bad" I said its like you are punishing the long term customers because we HAVE to upgrade the plan to get a new phone. I can't even buy a phone outright. They gave me a $25 credit when I called customer service and complained. I've called a few times before and no one has even offered me anything. They say the stores can do more but they always act like they have no idea what I'm talking about.

NateEssex

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
NJ
There will be a scene if they try that on Friday, especially after I was told I could keep my plan. Are there other AT&T stores in your area? I have like 6 around me.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
I'm in the same boat and my bill will be doubling and I'll have half the minutes. They basically say "too bad" I said its like you are punishing the long term customers because we HAVE to upgrade the plan to get a new phone. I can't even buy a phone outright. They gave me a $25 credit when I called customer service and complained. I've called a few times before and no one has even offered me anything. They say the stores can do more but they always act like they have no idea what I'm talking about.
lucky. they just give me their number so they can get commission off my plan/phone

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
lucky. they just give me their number so they can get commission off my plan/phone

well, I have been a long time customer. I've had this phone number almost 10 yrs and before that it was my parents number that they got in 1986 on mobile something or other that got bought by att eventually. I remember the good days when we called att and said I want a new phone and they put about 150 cash credit on the account and we went to the store and got what phone I wanted. Also, att used to just add 100 anytime minutes to your plan for renewing and/or being a good customer. Thats how I ended up with 850 anytime minutes on a 39.99/mo plan. In my opinion $25 bucks is nothing. I'm going to ***** about the $18 fee if they try to charge me that.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
hey guys
im currently on a grandfather family plan (att no longer sells these plans, we only have it because we never upgraded). Its cheaper, and is better than the plans att is currently offering.
however, to get the iPhone, we would have to dump this plan and get a new one which is about 60 bucks more expensive.
worth it?
wow tough decision, i say wait around a bit to see if you really want an iPhone that bad

$60 a month is a ton of money