Grandfathering data plan

mbushnell

Jun 21, 2009
New Jersey
I currently have an iPhone 3gs that I am considering updating to a 5s.

My current Data Plan with AT&T is Unlimited. I understand that if I purchase a new iPhone 5s through AT&T, I will be able to "grandfather" my unlimited Data Plan to my new iPhone.

Would this still be the case if I purchase a 5s through Apple (either through my local Apple Store, or online)?

Should I get my new iPhone through AT&T, can I still utilize the Genius Bar @ my local Apple Store, as if I purchase the iPhone directly from Apple instead of through AT&T?

Thanks for any info.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I believe you should be able to still grandfather your plan even if you go through Apple. Your provider won't change. I've done this before and was able to have and keep my grandfather plan.

Sent using iCafe app

radtechy

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
Verizon made everyone give up their unlimited plans when the iPhone 5 came out. Not know about AT&T

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008

My current Data Plan with AT&T is Unlimited. I understand that if I purchase a new iPhone 5s through AT&T, I will be able to "grandfather" my unlimited Data Plan to my new iPhone.

Would this still be the case if I purchase a 5s through Apple (either through my local Apple Store, or online)?

Should I get my new iPhone through AT&T, can I still utilize the Genius Bar @ my local Apple Store, as if I purchase the iPhone directly from Apple instead of through AT&T?

Thanks for any info.
yes you can buy the phone from Apple and still keep your unlimited data. It doesn't matter where you buy the iPhone. AT&T won't change your data plan unless you opt out. I know I purchased my iPhone 5 from Apple the same will apply to the 5s. And if you're still in doubt call AT&T and ask them. But you're fine go ahead and buy your 5s. You will still have your unlimited data plan.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

You can buy an AT&T iPhone wherever you want and keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan. You can use subsidy too. This is the discount that brings the price down to $199.
Verizon made everyone give up their unlimited plans when the iPhone 5 came out. Not know about AT&T
You can keep your unlimited plan with Verizon, but it's a bit tricky and expensive. To keep it you HAVE to buy one in person at an Apple Store and pay full cost for a contract-free iPhone. If you preorder online or use subsidy, you will lose unlimited data with Verizon.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
You can buy an AT&T iPhone wherever you want and keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan. You can use subsidy too. This is the discount that brings the price down to $199.

You can keep your unlimited plan with Verizon, but it's a bit tricky and expensive. To keep it you HAVE to buy one in person at an Apple Store and pay full cost for a contract-free iPhone. If you preorder online or use subsidy, you will lose unlimited data with Verizon.
Correct and correct

Sent using iCafe app

BrunoKona

Oct 5, 2012
No matter who you get the iPhone from your plan will switch over. if they somehow screw it up, call customer service and complain. Thats what I did and got my plan back after the At&t store screwed me up...

njsonja

May 17, 2014
I have Verizon. I am allowed to keep my unlimited data as long as I pay the full value of the iPhone through Apple which was approximately $800 a couple of months ago.

BrunoKona

Oct 5, 2012
yes if you do that payment plan thing they will try and switch your plan. There is a cheaper plan but will take away your unlimited data. My friend did it but I don't recommend it.

Sent using iCafe app