Grandfathering data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by mbushnell, Oct 21, 2013.

1. mbushnell

mbushnell New Member

I currently have an iPhone 3gs that I am considering updating to a 5s.

My current Data Plan with AT&T is Unlimited. I understand that if I purchase a new iPhone 5s through AT&T, I will be able to "grandfather" my unlimited Data Plan to my new iPhone.

Would this still be the case if I purchase a 5s through Apple (either through my local Apple Store, or online)?

Should I get my new iPhone through AT&T, can I still utilize the Genius Bar @ my local Apple Store, as if I purchase the iPhone directly from Apple instead of through AT&T?

Thanks for any info.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I believe you should be able to still grandfather your plan even if you go through Apple. Your provider won't change. I've done this before and was able to have and keep my grandfather plan.

Sent using iCafe app

3. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Verizon made everyone give up their unlimited plans when the iPhone 5 came out. Not know about AT&T

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

4. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

yes you can buy the phone from Apple and still keep your unlimited data. It doesn't matter where you buy the iPhone. AT&T won't change your data plan unless you opt out. I know I purchased my iPhone 5 from Apple the same will apply to the 5s. And if you're still in doubt call AT&T and ask them. But you're fine go ahead and buy your 5s. You will still have your unlimited data plan.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can buy an AT&T iPhone wherever you want and keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan. You can use subsidy too. This is the discount that brings the price down to $199.
    You can keep your unlimited plan with Verizon, but it's a bit tricky and expensive. To keep it you HAVE to buy one in person at an Apple Store and pay full cost for a contract-free iPhone. If you preorder online or use subsidy, you will lose unlimited data with Verizon.

6. Mthoroughbred

Mthoroughbred Contributor
    Silver

Correct and correct

Sent using iCafe app

7. mbushnell

mbushnell New Member

Thanks guys, that's answered my questions.

8. BrunoKona

BrunoKona New Member

No matter who you get the iPhone from your plan will switch over. if they somehow screw it up, call customer service and complain. Thats what I did and got my plan back after the At&t store screwed me up...

9. njsonja

njsonja New Member

I have Verizon. I am allowed to keep my unlimited data as long as I pay the full value of the iPhone through Apple which was approximately $800 a couple of months ago.

10. BrunoKona

BrunoKona New Member

yes if you do that payment plan thing they will try and switch your plan. There is a cheaper plan but will take away your unlimited data. My friend did it but I don't recommend it.

Sent using iCafe app