Gray Bar throughout the artist's songs.

know1uno

Bronze
Mar 28, 2009
Oh my iPhone in the iTunes portion of the phone. I've got lots of artist and lots of songs under each artist. However, on one of my artist, all of their songs are also separated by a gray line through the screen if the song starts with a different letter of the alphabet. No other artist but this one, has this problem. All other artists, no matter how many songs I add under their name of this gray line separating the songs. This is the same gray type line that separates the different artists by the alphabet. I've taken it to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and they can't figure it out, either.

Today it was suggested to remove all of this artist's songs from the iPhone and start all over with him, but I have already done that, before coming to the iPhone store.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Can you post a screenshot?

know1uno

Bronze
Mar 28, 2009
I wouldn't know how.

But hopefully you can visualize it. You know how there is a gray bar between each artist listed when there is a change in the first letter of the name.

Say from G to H.

There is a gray bar that goes across the screen in each of this artist's songs, and this is the only one that does that.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
hold the home button and quickly press the sleep button
the screen will flash white and then the screenshot will end up in your camera roll

know1uno

Bronze
Mar 28, 2009
Well I was able to get a screen shot, posted it on Photobucket, but cannot move it over here.

UGH !

Help, please.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Just as I suspected...its a virus.

LOL but seriously there's nothing wrong with your phone.
The gray bar separates the artists by the letter their name begins with. Thats why "H" shows Hey Girl and Higher Ground.
If you get more artists it will fill nicely and probably look better.

Oh wait on second note, I realized you were under the songs for that artist. Thats weird. I bet when 3.0 comes out it will fix it for you. If you don't want to wait you can restore now...

know1uno

Bronze
Mar 28, 2009
No, that isn't the problem.

Those are not artists, those are songs by one artist, Michael McDonald. Yet all of "his" songs are listed like that, yet none of my other artist's songs are listed that way. There is no gray bar at all between the other artist's song, just his. That is what is driving me crazy.

I'm very anal about certain stuff.

:)

edit......I just now read the final paragraph of your reply. That is what the Apple store recommended, restoring the phone, but I think I've already tried it. I might try it again to make sure.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's what it's supposed to look like.

the real question is why your other artists DON'T look like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

know1uno

Bronze
Mar 28, 2009
Because I remove all the album information from my iTunes. I don't care what album and stuff like that, I just want the artist's name and the song title.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't understand why removing the album info would keep the gray bars from showing. they separate the songs based on their title... which has nothing to do with the album info...

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
If I click artist (tab at the bottom), then on an artist I am presented with All songs, or the albums. If I click all songs I get the gray bars but if I click an album there are no gray bars. Its just the way the phone works.

Edit: after further investigation, artists that have more than about 25 songs will have gray bars for when clicking All songs. I had several artists with 24 or less and there were no gray bars. An artist with 28 songs had the gray bars.