Great, I'm starting anew!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
Charleston aka Chucktown, SC
So i restored my phone to wipe away my 3rd party apps and while restoring, it tells me "restore timed out while waiting for iPhone software to restart" or something along those lines ..

joy! i guess i get to start over and lose everything on my phone! anyone had this happen when they restored? and if so, is there a fix or do i wait and hope i can restore with 1.1 or whatever tomorrow and use my bacckup?

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
I got the same error message too. Freaked me out. However, restarting my computer and then trying another restore attempt fixed my problem. Hopefully you'll have the same luck.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I got the same error message too. Freaked me out. However, restarting my computer and then trying another restore attempt fixed my problem. Hopefully you'll have the same luck.
well my backup just updated to the one that is clear .. i just lost everything! apparently after it began syncing .. even though it wasn't a full sync, justified it to backup nothing. i tried it 3 times and it never worked, but i didn't restart. oh well, i lost all my text messages.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
I got the same error message, ignored it, and then synced the phone. And wallah back to normal. By the way you would lose your text messages no matter what happened, since you are wiping your phone. When you sync, you only back up your contacts and music, not your text messages and such. What REALLY sucked, is I forgot to reset my gmail to not download all my messages, and I had to delete about 200. good times...good times.

well my backup just updated to the one that is clear .. i just lost everything! apparently after it began syncing .. even though it wasn't a full sync, justified it to backup nothing. i tried it 3 times and it never worked, but i didn't restart. oh well, i lost all my text messages.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
I got the same error message, ignored it, and then synced the phone. And wallah back to normal. By the way you would lose your text messages no matter what happened, since you are wiping your phone. When you sync, you only back up your contacts and music, not your text messages and such. What REALLY sucked, is I forgot to reset my gmail to not download all my messages, and I had to delete about 200. good times...good times.
After a RESTORE I got all of my text messages back, all the way back to the first ones I sent on the phone. It backed up my texts to the point that I last synced the phone. Every message you have on your phone after*edit* you sync, will/should be there via the restore backup feature in the iTunes software.

All I had to reset was email settings since I don't sync my email. Also, bookmarks will restore.

ahduke99

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
After a RESTORE I got all of my text messages back, all the way back to the first ones I sent on the phone. It backed up my texts to the point that I last synced the phone. Every message you have on your phone before you sync, wil/should be there via the restore backup feature in the iTunes software.

All I had to reset was email settings since I don't sync my email. Also, bookmarks will restore.
yeah .. i lost all my texts from july up till today .. oh well .. and my notes as well that i had written. nothing real important in them.

Next time that happens, simply move the slider on the iPhone to unlock the phone. For some reason, the restore is trying to unlock it to continue with the restore but it won't respond so this will simply "nudge" it along. When you move the slider, click continue in iTunes and the restore will finish.

I was getting this restore timed out just after the iPhone was activated message and the above worked perfectly.

kryptedak

Sep 21, 2007
hey

i can not find the answer to this question,

"i have sofware unlocked my iPhone, i am having some probs with ibrickr adding apps to my phone, if i do a restore using iTunes will i have to unlock my phone again?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
So i restored my phone to wipe away my 3rd party apps and while restoring, it tells me "restore timed out while waiting for iPhone software to restart" or something along those lines ..

joy! i guess i get to start over and lose everything on my phone! anyone had this happen when they restored? and if so, is there a fix or do i wait and hope i can restore with 1.1 or whatever tomorrow and use my bacckup?
The same thing happened to me...