Great little app

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doc Holiday

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Seriously

First of all, I would like to think us iPhone users have some level of intelligence and know the difference between an application and a webpage with just a bunch of links on it. I've seen these iinked webpages popping up calling themselves apps and it's pissing me off. As a developer, calling this an app is a joke. It's like me creating a search application just by making a webpage with a link to google on it, give us anxious "real" application hungry owners a break from these so-called "web apps"

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
First of all, I would like to think us iPhone users have some level of intelligence and know the difference between an application and a webpage with just a bunch of links on it. I've seen these iinked webpages popping up calling themselves apps and it's pissing me off. As a developer, calling this an app is a joke. It's like me creating a search application just by making a webpage with a link to google on it, give us anxious "real" application hungry owners a break from these so-called "web apps"

Very well done.

Juego

Jun 23, 2007
Agreed :cool:

Boros

Jul 13, 2007
Rude Response...

Damn, you're smug.

The poor guy was just trying to post something helpful. No, it's definitely not an app, but these stupid Web pages are about all we have right now. Personally, I found it to be a useful bookmark.

Being new here, I'm surprised at how rude some of these responses are.

Doc Holiday

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Damn, you're smug.

The poor guy was just trying to post something helpful. No, it's definitely not an app, but these stupid Web pages are about all we have right now. Personally, I found it to be a useful bookmark.

Being new here, I'm surprised at how rude some of these responses are.
First off, welcome to the forum. I'm sure by now you've found a lot of useful information.

It is not my intent to hurt anyone's feelings, it is just my opinion which many iPhone users share. I didn't call the poster any names and by my response I hope he/she, as well as others, now understand the difference. You're right, web apps are the only thing available right now, but not all of them are stupid. I mentioned this in a previous post, that web apps have their place and when developed correctly for the iPhone can be quite useful such as the remote desktop apps floating around.

Many of us on here can't wait for "real" applications to be released and we are on here to keep an eye out, anxious for anything new. So when someone posts "new iPhone app" and we find out its a web page of links it's disapointing and yesterday i vented.

If you found it useful, cool. In a few steps you can do the same thing. All I'm saying is that this post and simiilar ones should be called "Nice Links Page". By the way, you're way to nice by calling him a poor guy, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt in that he was trying to be helpful. You make me sound like I'm the big bully, damn I one of the good guys on here ha ha ha

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
First off, welcome to the forum. I'm sure by now you've found a lot of useful information.

So when someone posts "new iPhone app" and we find out its a web page of links it's disapointing and yesterday i vented.

You make me sound like I'm the big bully, damn I one of the good guys on here ha ha ha
I am less then a year to Macs but I have three of them; I admit I stepped on toes here but yes, some of you come of as rude, which I guess is ok because I came off as stupid.

Not being a programmar, I found the site I listed, to be just what I was looking for ... for now.

See you all around... Van

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
it's a forum about 85% of the people on all forums are rude. It adds color :laugh2:
You know in the early days of this forum (3 weeks ago) we were all commenting on how polite and cordial everybody is here. So please let's not be rude just because we think everybody else is going to be. Assume the best out of people. You might be right.

Doc Holiday

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
I know what you really wrote...

Hey Van, that's cool. You found something and posted it. But didn't you read my response, do you understand where I and many others are coming from?

By the way, you weren't very careful not to call this an app, thus the title of your thread "Great little app" and you weren't stepping on anybody's toes, you were just misleading. I don't know anybody who would call a portal page a web app, do you? Even your friend on here would agree with me on that.

I find that most of the people on here are actually quite helpful and to say "yes, you all are, or certainly come off as, rude" IS RUDE. Just because I didn't play cheerleader and say, "Great find Van, thanks!" I'm being rude? I was sarchastic at best and what does you owning a mac have to do with my opinion of your "great little app" find. Listen, I know you didn't create the page and my complaint isn't with you, but towards web programmars who create these pages and call them apps, that's all.

Doc Holiday

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
You know in the early days of this forum (3 weeks ago) we were all commenting on how polite and cordial everybody is here. So please let's not be rude just because we think everybody else is going to be. Assume the best out of people. You might be right.
Early on I bet it was nice here, but now that there are over a million iPhone users, this board is being flooded with misinformation, repeated posts and people with different sensitivity levels. I have written numerous posts helping others out and it's frustrating reading misleading information. Yesterday I got fed up and spoke out, now I'm being called rude for doing so? How I see it, I assume nothing, so when someone posts something that's my impression of that person. I know you mean well, but with surge of iPhone users now out there, this board needs all the help filtering the junk. Can we please drop this subject now?! I have encoding threads to post to :laugh2:

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
Don't really think I was that wrong...

Hey Van, that's cool. You found something and posted it. But didn't you read my response, do you understand where I and many others are coming from?

By the way, you weren't very careful not to call this an app, thus the title of your thread "Great little app" and you weren't stepping on anybody's toes, you were just misleading. I don't know anybody who would call a portal page a web app, do you? Even your friend on here would agree with me on that.

I find that most of the people on here are actually quite helpful and to say "yes, you all are, or certainly come off as, rude" IS RUDE. Just because I didn't play cheerleader and say, "Great find Van, thanks!" I'm being rude? I was sarchastic at best and what does you owning a mac have to do with my opinion of your "great little app" find. Listen, I know you didn't create the page and my complaint isn't with you, but towards web programmars who create these pages and call them apps, that's all.
As I understand it, at this stage of iPhone development, there are no real apps for the iPhone that Apple has not stuck in it. Web pages are in fact being called apps for the iPhone. I am not going to debate if they are or are not, but they are being called that.

That said... I agree with you... lets just drop it ... see you around...

rj5620

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
As I understand it, at this stage of iPhone development, there are no real apps for the iPhone that Apple has not stuck in it. Web pages are in fact being called apps for the iPhone. I am not going to debate if they are or are not, but they are being called that.

That said... I agree with you... lets just drop it ... see you around...
Van, thanks for the pointer very useful.:cool:

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
van

thanks for the cool find. Having all those assembled in one place is quite helpful to us new iPhoners. Been happily using Macs for 22 years which has nothing to do with this issue cause your find and post were helpful to iPhone. App, portal, thingy, widget, who cares what it is -- its helpful and makes using iPhone better.

ya'll chill