Great little app

M

mynameisjesse

I'm one of the creators of uPhoneHome and like one other person said, there are no true apps for the iPhone. If iBookmarks is considered an app for the iPhone, I see no reason as to why this wouldn't be. It's coded the same way, and it serves a purpose just like all the other ones do. It's been out for less than a week so we still have a loooot to add.

As for saying were just stealing links and calling it an app, that is absurd. It's ment to be used as your iPhones home page, a way to get to all these great iPhone 'apps' everyone loves with one simple click. I do not currently own an iPhone, but my partner does...this was created as something he wanted to have. Soon it will be much more but for as of right now we are trying to keep everything easy and simple.

Is there something you'd like to see us add? Is there something missing from it? Constructive criticism is more than welcomed.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
Welcome

I'm one of the creators of uPhoneHome and like one other person said, there are no true apps for the iPhone. If iBookmarks is considered an app for the iPhone, I see no reason as to why this wouldn't be. It's coded the same way, and it serves a purpose just like all the other ones do. It's been out for less than a week so we still have a loooot to add.

As for saying were just stealing links and calling it an app, that is absurd. It's ment to be used as your iPhones home page, a way to get to all these great iPhone 'apps' everyone loves with one simple click. I do not currently own an iPhone, but my partner does...this was created as something he wanted to have. Soon it will be much more but for as of right now we are trying to keep everything easy and simple.

Is there something you'd like to see us add? Is there something missing from it? Constructive criticism is more than welcomed.
Thank you for your good work and welcome to the forum... Van

Doc Holiday

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas

Wow, I thought we were going to drop this discussion, but I guess not. I'm glad in way, because maybe I'll be able to squash this "real" app vs. "web" app thing once and for all.

A "true" iPhone app can be run directly from the main screen or through the Safari web browser. Apps that run through Safari and are formatted for the iPhone are called "iPhone Web Apps" So with that said, there are "true" iPhone apps available, just none that run directly from the main screen without the use of Safari. A web page of links is neither. It's just a web page of links, you can't actually do antything, like play a game, search a database, remotely control your computer, chat with someone...

So what purpose does uPhoneHome and "apps" like this serve? It's not a bookmarks application (iBookmarks), because they're not my bookmarks. My assumption that it's purpose is to provide conveniently icon'd links to iphone-friendly web pages. Is that a correct? But why do you have the linked pages open in a frame with your menu at the top? That gives the impression that those pages are your's when they really aren't. I didn't realize that was happening, so yes you are stealing linked content and displaying it as your own. You should just link to the sites without the frames and regardless of what it's meant for, the issue is what it is doing.

So if I were to use uPhoneHome, how do I set this as my home page, umm you can't and maybe if you had an iPhone you'd know that, but at least your friend should of known that. So what I need to do if I want to continually use uPhoneHome is add this page to my bookmarks, but wait a sec, did I say "add to my bookmarks"? All the links to my iPhone favorites (THAT I, NOT EVERYONE, LOVE) are all here, IN MY BOOKMARKS. Selecting a specific page in my bookmarks is much faster than loading your "app" and scrolling through every iphone-related link that people have suggested.

All these links and more can be easily found on the applications section of this website and users can pick and choose what they want and add them to their bookmarks PLUS a description of the page. On your "app" I can't tell what most of these do unless the name is self-explanatory. And why would I want every link to iPhone "app" pages? I don't have a link to every PC or Mac "app" on my computer, do you?

You have sort options that don't give any information on how things are sorted after you sort them (date sort doesn't list the dates and category sort doesn't list the categories)

A user can't customize it, at any given time their favorite link can be moved or removed without them knowing and it takes longer to select a page using this than selecting it in your bookmarks.

Maybe this feedback can help improve your "app" or whatever you want to call it.

If you find uPhoneHome and web pages like this useful, that's great. My problem is with people who create link pages and call them apps and people who steal content from other pages and display it as their own.

I can't wait till non-web apps start being developed so that when they come out, we can call web pages "web pages" again.

ADDENDUM: uPhoneHome is sneaky! By placing linked web apps in a frame, users can't get the web address of the actual web app to add to their bookmarks! So users of uPhoneHome have to link through their page. Hmm.. I'm interested to see what they plan on next.

Doc Holiday

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
van

thanks for the cool find. Having all those assembled in one place is quite helpful to us new iPhoners. Been happily using Macs for 22 years which has nothing to do with this issue cause your find and post were helpful to iPhone. App, portal, thingy, widget, who cares what it is -- its helpful and makes using iPhone better.

ya'll chill
Glad you find this useful. Let me ask you this, do you use all of those web apps? Wouldn't be nice to have just the web apps you actually use in one convenient location and displayed as what they are? I'll let in on a secret, it's called BOOKMARKS. It's the little book icon on the bottom of Safari. Take the web addresses of those web apps that you use and add them to your bookmarks. You can even give them custom names to describe them. But wait, uPhoneHome won't let you do that because they have hidden the actual web address by placing the web app in a frame. Isn't that suspicious to you? Why would they do that?

Why should I care what uPhoneHome and "web apps" like this are called? Because it's misleading for one. A links page is not an iPhone app. It's just a page being viewed on the browser with links on it like any other web page. You don't play games, search databases, remotely control your computer (these examples are iPhone apps). Secondly web apps like this are taking other people's content and displaying it as their own. Did you know the web apps displayed on uPhoneHome are not theirs? Perhaps you did. Did you notice when you click on an app, uPhoneHome's menu bar is at the top? You might not care, but what if you developed a web app and uPhoneHome linked it without permission and started using it for their own purposes and benefit would you care then?

I hope you understand the point I'm trying to make. I'm glad you're enoying your iPhone. I know i am! :laugh2:

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
LOL you're on a rampage Doc! ;) I agree with you on the whole misleading "apps" vs "link" thing. Apps are all those items that uPhonehome is portal-ing to. Hopefully people will begin to understand the difference between the two.

Now, that being said, I do want to state that Apple themself have said there will be no SDK for the iPhone as of right now and for the foreseeable future. Anything that is written for the iPhone has to be coded and run in Safari, hence a web "app"; so we can actually can call them apps :p

BUT I agree, LINK PORTALS ARE NOT APPS...

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
But to the web coder that just posted: nicely done page. It does look WAY better than the other sites out there that list all those apps. Nice clean and iphone-ish.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
iPhone Applications on this site's home page

Says iPhone Applications on the home page, so I for one will continue to call them that. I don't care if it is a menu structured application that runs other applications so long as I can get what I want to run when I need it to run... God bless those making these apps for us who do not have the skill to do it for our selves. We can't all invent visicalc.