Great new app-Scientific Calculator

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
That's amazing. I've never used RPN but this is definitely going to make me learn it. I hate the built in calculator and this thing makes it's amazing. Now if only we had a TI-89 emulator on the iPhone :)

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Looks good. Hopefully we will see this in the installer soon! I simply don't know how to put things on the phone using the mac OS. I think it is one of those things I need to learn at some point.....

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Looks good. Hopefully we will see this in the installer soon! I simply don't know how to put things on the phone using the mac OS. I think it is one of those things I need to learn at some point.....
Can anyone give some advice on how to install on either Mac or Windows?

Thanks.

p.s. I know the MMI post has some info on installation, but I am unfamiliar with how to get it to actually run -- I think I can handle the install part but its the altering of the app once on the phone that I could use help with.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
Can anyone give some advice on how to install on either Mac or Windows?
For Windows

Download whichever version you wish (I prefer the latest skin by Armadillo). Once downloaded, open it up in WinZip and extract it. You will then again need to open up the extracted file with WinZip and extract that file as well (it should automatically create a folder called MACalc.app and place all the files into that folder).

Then, startup WinSCP. Use your WiFi connection IP address for "Host name" , "User name"=root, and "password"=alpine ("password"=dottie on 1.0.2). Also make sure to select SCP for file protocol; leave "port number" at 22 and "private key file" blank.

Once it opens, you want to get to the /var/root/applications directory on your iPhone (the right side of the screen). Then on the left side of your screen, you want to locate the whole folder created on your PC "MACalc.app" and click it.

Then click "files" up above, then click "copy". A dialogue box will open up asking you if you want to copy MACalc.app into /var/root/applications. Click yes. Once the folder has been copied to the iPhone side (right side) double click on that folder on the iPhone side (MACalc.app). Then right click on the file named "MACalc" then click "properties". When properties opens up, you want to set the number in the box to the right of the word "Octal" to 0755, then click OK. Do the same for the file "vibrator".

When you've done all of that, you can shut down WinSCP, then restart your iPhone. You should then have the MACalc icon on your springboard and ready to run.

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
For Windows

Download whichever version you wish (I prefer the latest skin by Armadillo). Once downloaded, open it up in WinZip and extract it. You will then again need to open up the extracted file with WinZip and extract that file as well (it should automatically create a folder called MACalc.app and place all the files into that folder).

Then, startup WinSCP. Use your WiFi connection IP address for "Host name" , "User name"=root, and "password"=alpine ("password"=dottie on 1.0.2). Also make sure to select SCP for file protocol; leave "port number" at 22 and "private key file" blank.

Once it opens, you want to get to the /var/root/applications directory on your iPhone (the right side of the screen). Then on the left side of your screen, you want to locate the whole folder created on your PC "MACalc.app" and click it.

Then click "files" up above, then click "copy". A dialogue box will open up asking you if you want to copy MACalc.app into /var/root/applications. Click yes. Once the folder has been copied to the iPhone side (right side) double click on that folder on the iPhone side (MACalc.app). Then right click on the file named "MACalc" then click "properties". When properties opens up, you want to set the number in the box to the right of the word "Octal" to 0755, then click OK. Do the same for the file "vibrator".

When you've done all of that, you can shut down WinSCP, then restart your iPhone. You should then have the MACalc icon on your springboard and ready to run.

Thank you! But allow me to be ungrateful and ask for additional guidance. I already have the app loaded on my phone with iBrickr. Is there anyway to accomplish the 0755 change on the phone with MobileFinder or some other app like that?

Thanks very much!

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Thank you! But allow me to be ungrateful and ask for additional guidance. I already have the app loaded on my phone with iBrickr. Is there anyway to accomplish the 0755 change on the phone with MobileFinder or some other app like that?

Thanks very much!
If you have terminal on your phone you can navigate to the directory you created when you installed the calc to the phone (MACalc.app on my phone) and once in that directory you can enter the "chmod +x *" command to set the permissions. Someone told me you can do it in Finder but I have yet to figure that method out.

Nov 28, 2007
For Windows
... startup WinSCP. Use your WiFi connection IP address for "Host name" , "User name"=root, and "password"=alpine ("password"=dottie on 1.0.2). Also make sure to select SCP for file protocol; leave "port number" at 22 and "private key file" blank.

This is not working for me. First of all there is no "applications" directory under /var/root/ on my jailbreaked 1.1.2 phone. There is only "Library" "Media" & "root.zip."

Some (but not all) of my apps are located in "Library," so I copied MACalc.app into that directory and reset the permissions to 0755 for MACalc & vibrator. Rebooted the phone, and no MACalc icon on my springboard. MACalc also doesn't show under Uninstall in Installer app (not sure if it's supposed to).

As a possible work around I then created a new directory under /var/root/ and named it "applications," copied MACalc.app into that directory etc., rebooted but still no joy.

Any thoughts as to why this is not working?

Nov 28, 2007
Got It! :cool:

Thanks for that termleach. First time using WinSCP, didn't realize I could back up the tree to get to /Applications/.

Now it's time to refresh my RPN skills, it's been a long time!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Has anyone else had issues when they use the alternate skin that the program will just freeze and not work properly? I've made sure all the permissions are correct (as that was the first problem), but it doesn't like to swipe to the second keypad and a lot of times it doesn't recognize when I press keys. Just curious if anyone else had any issues.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Whoever posted the apps location was wrong. The correct apps location is /Applications/
I think that some people have their phones set to move the applications to the same partition that the music/videos are kept to give them more room. That is probably why the poster showed his applications as being under Var/Root.... You are correct, on most of the phones, the applications are off the base menu under the Applications folder.

Nov 28, 2007
Has anyone else had issues when they use the alternate skin that the program will just freeze and not work properly? I've made sure all the permissions are correct (as that was the first problem), but it doesn't like to swipe to the second keypad and a lot of times it doesn't recognize when I press keys. Just curious if anyone else had any issues.
I'm using the alternate skin with no issues here, played with it for 2 hrs. straight last night with no problems.

Well, maybe not. It's been ages since I used a RPN based calculator (HP), but when I try to use [Sto] or [Rcl] all the keys grey out and become non functional. Hitting a number key brings it back but whatever has been stored can't seem to be recalled. I probably need a refresher course in how this function in RPN works.

apper90

Aug 15, 2010
I have never liked the "reverse" way of thinking when using RPN calculators. The best Scientific iPhone App in my opinion is CalcAdva (http://sites.google.com/site/calcadva/). It has both a Scientific calculator, a Programmar calculator, user defined variables, all pre-defined constants you can imagine, and a function to check the history of calculations, correct a faulty digit, and re-calculate all the expressions again.