Green Apple

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Hi Guys, happy St Patricks Day. Well its with heavy heart that I have to report the return of my first iPhone. I purchased it on Friday (I was one of the first in the que for the official irish launch) but it didn't make it past St Patricks day. It froze on just after set up friday and I had to do a soft and hard reset. However the problems persisted and I replaced it today. The main problem was the phone function and it ended up that when anyone rang me the phone shut down and had to be restarted. Very worrying!

Is this a common fault or was I just unlucky? Is the iPhone glitchy! I know the iPhone is a complicated device but I use a blackberry curve all the time and although not as slick it never lets me down especially at the basics.

Well the new ones syncing as we speak and I hope to have better luck this time.

jtesnani

Dec 11, 2007
it's probably just a faulty device, unlucky. the first mac i ever got (powerbook), the backlight broke two minutes after i turned it on...swap it the next day at the Apple store and all was well after that. good luck with this one!

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
well I am set up again and am posting this from my iPhone. Let's hope I am a little luckier with this one. I would love to hear if anyone else had this problem.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've never heard of that one. There's a lot of tech shoved into that little case though, I'm amazed more of them aren't faulty due to a minute hardware issue. I wouldn't worry about it now, though... most people don't have those sorts of issues.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Sorry about your luck, I hope the next one works out! :)

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Hi Guys well I am on iPhone number 2 and guess what its happening agian. the phone is switching itself offmainly when someone trys to ring but occasional whenever. I got the second one from the same shop, is this jsut a bad batch. So presently i have an i phone without the phone = iPod touch at $100 per month.

I have read round this and some other forums its seems that its not uncommon problem but it doesn't always involve ringing the phone

Any help/suggestions welcome

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I've been very haappy with mine as well. No call-related crashes.

I suggest 2 things:
1. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed. You can update via iTunes.
2. Consider having the store swap out the SIM card. I know this is your second iPhone, but the SIM cards could've been the "bad batch" as well.

Let us know what happens.

-K

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Well guys I picked up my 3rd iPhone after the same fault started again (phone went dead when people started to ring me). This time before I synced anything I rang the phone from my sons phone (one of the problem phones) and it worked however when I synced my info (contacts, music etc) it bricked again when I rang. I reset the phone and started with sync only photos, then music and finally contacts. It seems like it was a corrupt contact... I phoned Apple for help and they suggested grouping contacts before syncing and then syncing one group at a time. The problem is i don't know how many there are of my 500 + and I haven't the time to go through them one at a time even then its when they ring me so i would only know when it bricks. So I have given up trying to sync my contacts and am going to add them in manually or as people ring. A real bummer especially all the email addresses etc and the lack of copy and paste.

The weird thing is I am using the mac address book application you'd think this would make things seemless. I feel guilty for getting 3 new phones when this was the problem but then if Apple cant make the sync from the Apple address book work then really why should I!

Is there a way that I can get the contacts on my iPhone to overwrite my mac address book when I get these sorted?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I'm on XP using Outlook, but if this happened to me, I would try to export my contacts to some other format (comma separated list, for example) then reimport them. Hopefully, that would fix the corrupt data (or at least not transfer it). Does the Mac address book offer such an option?