Greenpois0n does't work for iPhone 3G 4.2.1 ..?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

fonzi

Sep 23, 2010
I'm getting mixed info about jailbreaking an iPhone 3g using greenpois0n rc6. Some say it works, but i keep getting the "Try Again" button after putting the iPhone into DFU mode.

Could somebody clarify this for me. thanks

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
greenpois0n is very iffy (if you know what I mean). But that's Chronic-Dev Team for ya! It's best to just use PwnageTool to create your own pre-jailbroken IPSW that you can restore to with iTunes. If you aren't on Mac OS X, then use sn0wbreeze.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Are you sure the phone is in DFU mode and not Recovery mode? DFU should give you the black screen but you should still be able to tell it's on. Also make sure when you connect your phone, iTunes doesn't come up. It shouldn't be active at all.

fonzi

Sep 23, 2010
I tried to put the phone into DFU but i don't get the 'black' screen. the phone is completely off. I've tried holding both sleep and home button for 10 secs, and then releasing the sleep button.

I'm stumped on how to set my phone into DFU mode.
Also, to turn the phone on, I need to hold the sleep and home button for 10 secs.

It's a 3g with iOS 4.2.1

besweeet

Contributor
Silver
Jun 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
briansweet.me
I tried to put the phone into DFU but i don't get the 'black' screen. the phone is completely off. I've tried holding both sleep and home button for 10 secs, and then releasing the sleep button.

I'm stumped on how to set my phone into DFU mode.
Also, to turn the phone on, I need to hold the sleep and home button for 10 secs.

It's a 3g with iOS 4.2.1
Sounds like you're already in DFU mode...

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
I literally just finished j/b my 3G before I put it up for sale... I tried using GP but had no luck... there's some sort of issue where gp won't recognize the phone is in dfu mode.. I went to pwnage and it worked perfectly.. I'd also suggest giving pwnage a try.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
greenpois0n isn't a reliable jailbreak tool... PwnageTool and sn0wbreeze are.
Hmmm... I guess it depends on a lot of factors... computer OS version as well as updates installed, etc. ... who knows. I just know it would always say "Try again" for me until I realized I wasn't really in DFU mode. Once I got it there, it went as smooth as butter.