Greetings from the UK

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 22, 2007
hi...I have just been given an iPhone by my wife , we are still waiting for the release in the UK (its taking forever) anyway, so she bought me an 'unlocked' iPhone from ebay USA....i have tried to download my contacts,music etc from my iTunes folder but it tells me there is only 300MG available not the full 8GB..could it possibly be that the 'any SIM' application that I presume is the unlocking software has used up all the memory...surely not ? Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong or is this a simple case of bad karma for buying an unlocked phone ? hope this has'nt made me a villain, we are HUGE fans of everything Apple and will buy UK iPhone's when they are finally released........we just could'nt wait any longer..the iPhone is rarer than rocking horse **** over here on this side of the pond..please help a poor irishman !...Brian :oops:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
hi...I have just been given an iPhone by my wife , we are still waiting for the release in the UK (its taking forever) anyway, so she bought me an 'unlocked' iPhone from ebay USA....i have tried to download my contacts,music etc from my iTunes folder but it tells me there is only 300MG available not the full 8GB..could it possibly be that the 'any SIM' application that I presume is the unlocking software has used up all the memory...surely not ? Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong or is this a simple case of bad karma for buying an unlocked phone ? hope this has'nt made me a villain, we are HUGE fans of everything Apple and will buy UK iPhone's when they are finally released........we just could'nt wait any longer..the iPhone is rarer than rocking horse **** over here on this side of the pond..please help a poor irishman !...Brian :oops:
Wow that sucks!

Good luck with that 'ol pal, why she didn't wait for the UK release?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Nope, the unlock software should not be taking up that kind of space. If it is still on there "anySim" etc, then remove it using something like iBrickr.

Maybe do a restore and see if that fixes the problem?

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Nope, the unlock software should not be taking up that kind of space. If it is still on there "anySim" etc, then remove it using something like iBrickr.

Maybe do a restore and see if that fixes the problem?
Are you actually telling someone with an unlocked phone to restore it through iTunes?

brian travers do NOT do this!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
It sounds like you have an unlocked 1.1.1 iPhone and the symbolic link, used during the jailbreaking process, was not removed.

You can fix this, if you can SSH into your iPhone.

DO NOT restore yet.

--
Mike

Oct 22, 2007
Thanks guys I really appreciate your help and advice..unfortunately I am a complete beginner regards iPhones and all this new 'unlocking' terminology..ill have to find some help with this over here......Brian

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I've restored my phone many times via iTunes. It is unlocked, but under 1.0.2 not 1.1.1. An iTunes restore does not do anything to the baseband, only got to jailbreak it afterwards.

Are you actually telling someone with an unlocked phone to restore it through iTunes?

brian travers do NOT do this!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I've restored my phone many times via iTunes. It is unlocked, but under 1.0.2 not 1.1.1. An iTunes restore does not do anything to the baseband, only got to jailbreak it afterwards.
Yes, but iTunes will want to update to 1.1.1--and without knowing to shift-click it could mean an update, which could be bad.

The 300 MB space issue, however, is not usually related to 1.0.2--it's a 1.1.1 issue (failure to remove symlink).

--
Mike

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Very true.

Brian, did UK Customs give you any problems getting the iPhone shipped over to you?

Yes, but iTunes will want to update to 1.1.1--and without knowing to shift-click it could mean an update, which could be bad.

The 300 MB space issue, however, is not usually related to 1.0.2--it's a 1.1.1 issue (failure to remove symlink).

--
Mike

Oct 22, 2007
Hi folks.....firstly Ravman, we had no problems with UK customs,the iPhone just arrived via UPS,not sure if that would be the case everytime though as I have in the past had to pay import duty on ebay items from the States,but its a very random thing...secondly.. yes Tinman this iPhone is a 1.1.1. you said
Tinman
"Yes, but iTunes will want to update to 1.1.1--and without knowing to shift-click it could mean an update, which could be bad."

if i can possibly ask for a little more help..how do you shift -click ? or is it too late ? and can I remove the simlink ?

i have to say what a great community this is,thanks for all the help..even if i am stuck with a no memory iPhone my friends are all over the thing ,its truly a thing of beauty,only wish i could load it up with some music..anyway thanks again...Brian

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hi folks.....firstly Ravman, we had no problems with UK customs,the iPhone just arrived via UPS,not sure if that would be the case everytime though as I have in the past had to pay import duty on ebay items from the States,but its a very random thing...secondly.. yes Tinman this iPhone is a 1.1.1. you said
Tinman
"Yes, but iTunes will want to update to 1.1.1--and without knowing to shift-click it could mean an update, which could be bad."

if i can possibly ask for a little more help..how do you shift -click ? or is it too late ? and can I remove the simlink ?

i have to say what a great community this is,thanks for all the help..even if i am stuck with a no memory iPhone my friends are all over the thing ,its truly a thing of beauty,only wish i could load it up with some music..anyway thanks again...Brian
OK, before restoring anything, you need to see if you can get into the iPhone to fix the symlink issue (which isn't a very big issue at all).

If you are on a PC, download iBrickr 0.91 from here:
http://ibrickr.com/downloads/ibrickr_v0.91.zip

After unzipping that file (into a folder) run ibrickr.exe and go through the steps to add PXL support. If that is successful, report back.

--
Mike

Oct 22, 2007
OK, before restoring anything, you need to see if you can get into the iPhone to fix the symlink issue (which isn't a very big issue at all).

If you are on a PC, download iBrickr 0.91 from here:
http://ibrickr.com/downloads/ibrickr_v0.91.zip

After unzipping that file (into a folder) run ibrickr.exe and go through the steps to add PXL support. If that is successful, report back.

--
Mike
hi mike........i am using a MAC G5 ,could'nt even access
http://ibrickr.com/downloads/ibrickr_v0.91.zip[/url] but in trying to do so i discovered mostofmymac.com which offers to unlock the phone using the IMEI number from mine and then licences it over the net using INdependence NOT ibrickr..does this sound right? btw..i fully appreciate if you've had enough of my dumb questions and i still think you guys are great for all your help so far.....im under the impression that im probably way past being able to start again as the phone has already been unlocked and ive probably screwed up by going onto the update in iTunes when i initially tried to set it up....any minute now the UK gets the iPhone and i know 5 minutes later every kid under the age of 21 will be able to crack the unlocking...im pretty sure ill be able to get it done then....Thanks a million for your time..Sincerely Brian T

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
hi mike........i am using a MAC G5 ,could'nt even access
http://ibrickr.com/downloads/ibrickr_v0.91.zip[/url] but in trying to do so i discovered mostofmymac.com which offers to unlock the phone using the IMEI number from mine and then licences it over the net using INdependence NOT ibrickr..does this sound right? btw..i fully appreciate if you've had enough of my dumb questions and i still think you guys are great for all your help so far.....im under the impression that im probably way past being able to start again as the phone has already been unlocked and ive probably screwed up by going onto the update in iTunes when i initially tried to set it up....any minute now the UK gets the iPhone and i know 5 minutes later every kid under the age of 21 will be able to crack the unlocking...im pretty sure ill be able to get it done then....Thanks a million for your time..Sincerely Brian T
yes, if you are on a Mac iNdependence is the way to go. Not sure you need to do much though. Try to stick with solving the 300 MB issue:

"Kills the 300MB of disk space problem (only needed by people who used iNdependence 1.2.2)"
http://code.google.com/p/independence/downloads/list

Also, if the site you mentioned wants you to pay, and your iPhone is already unlocked--which I assume you paid a premium for in the first place--stay away. Keep that as a last resort.

--
Mike

Oct 22, 2007
yes, if you are on a Mac iNdependence is the way to go. Not sure you need to do much though. Try to stick with solving the 300 MB issue:

"Kills the 300MB of disk space problem (only needed by people who used iNdependence 1.2.2)"
http://code.google.com/p/independence/downloads/list

Also, if the site you mentioned wants you to pay, and your iPhone is already unlocked--which I assume you paid a premium for in the first place--stay away. Keep that as a last resort.

--
Mike

OK..thanks again Mike..ive download INdependence....im going to spend a few hours working out exactly what to do next..don't want to make anymore mistakes...great stuff...Brian
:confused:

jdave76

Oct 2, 2007
Tinman

I lso got phone off ebay to uk got nailed at customs for £72.00,it said gift and $100on the parcell:mad:
but really nice phone :)

Oct 22, 2007
completly locked out now !

greetings all.......ok this morning when i tried to turn my iPhone on to try & make a start on getting some memory back using the INdependence software (very confusing btw) i was confronted with a complete block by AT&T saying the sim card i am using is not legitimate and can i replace the AT&T sim,all this came via iTunes........:confused::confused::confused: i do believe the bad karma has caught up with me...any help gratefuly received...Brian

Oct 22, 2007
all my problems solved and dreams come true

Greetings again folks...just dropped by to express my sincere Thanks for all the help and FANTASTIC advice I received here in my quest to get my VERY poorly (locked up) iPhone back to full health...using ibrick via PC ,im a MAC user but got my mate to help out with his PC and superior intelligence all my functions,memory (full 8gig)..everything works..im on the ORANGE network here in the UK so anyone out there who is still sceptical about the unlocking proceedure has nothing to worry about..Thanks Tinman,Ravman and all the other people who helped me out..what an incredible piece of kit,all my iTunes,podcasts,photos,bookmarks just fell out of my desktop into the iPhone....thats all for now..Live long and prosper..Brian.:)