Griffin iTrip AutoPilot for iPhone finally available!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
This has been on their website for months, but it's finally available to buy. I really hope the new iPhone shielding works to cut out that interference from the GSM radio.

I just ordered mine. It probably won't be here until next Tuesday or Wednesday, but I'll post a review when I get it.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripautopilot

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Well CRAP! Just got this email from Griffin Customer Service:

One or more of the items you ordered is backordered. See the above listing for exactly which product(s) are backordered, indicated by a ZERO quantity. We will keep your order in our system, and ship the product the day it arrives, unless you advise us otherwise.

Looks like they would say on their web site if the item wasn't available. Just thought I would let everyone know to save you a little aggravation.

joeg679

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Are there any wireless ones like the giffin for the ipod?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Well, I tested out the Griffin iTrip Autopilot today and wasn't completely blown away by it. Just so everyone knows, this is the first Griffin iTrip FM transmitter that is recommended for use with the iPhone.

FM Transmitter:

Well at least you don't get the annoying "Accessory not compatible with iPhone!" message when you plug in this puppy. There's no need to place the iPhone in Airplane Mode to maintain a clear signal either. I didn't get any feedback from the GSM radio within the phone. While the signal scan feature was nice I found that when I ran it a second time, it selected different frequencies within a block or two from my house. The claims were that it would select the three best frequencies to tune your FM radio to for a clear music from the iPhone, but it was a disappointment. The FM transmitter does work better than the wireless iTrip because it does a good job of shielding the GSM radio in the phone, but like someone said earlier, if you live in a relatively good-sized town, you're going to pick up too many FM radio signals for it to give you a clean station. I'll bet it works better once I get out of town.

Battery Charger:

The iTrip Autopilot does a good job of charging the iPhone without the heating up problem you get from some of the other aftermarket car ipod chargers that I've tried in the past. I've even had some that seemed to drain the battery faster than they charged it, and most of them would cause the phone to heat up which always worried me. I haven't experienced either of these problems with the new iTrip Autopilot for iPhone.

I really do like the color ring on the cigarette adapter plug that glows read while it's charging the iPhone and green when the iPhone is completely charged. The instructions said that it would glow red when it was first plugged into the cigarette lighter, and it would glow amber while charging. While my eyesight is not what it used to be, I can still tell the difference between red and amber. Mine never glowed amber.

Update:

While I still haven't seen the red ring glow amber, it does definitely glow green when the iPhone becomes fully charged.

RDS:

I don't know how many cars have the RDS feature built into their audio system, but my Chevrolet Malibu does. I figure it's pretty much a GM exclusive feature. I enjoy seeing the song and artist info print across the stereo face when I have it tuned to stations that transmit the RDS signal, and I was really looking forward to having the song and artist info show up when I listened to the iPod feature on my iPhone. Unfortunately, it didn't work on my system. My car is a little older (2002), so I'm hoping someone else can try this with a newer car to see if it will actually work.

Update: RDS was working just fine today. It's actually pretty cool. Maybe it takes it a little while to read all the track information from the iPhone before it starts transmitting that to the RDS on the car stereo. I'm not really sure how it works, but it does work with both files I purchased from iTunes and files I imported from my own CDs.

Overall Impression:

While the shielding is better on this FM transmitter than the ones that I've tried in the past, and the battery charger does seem to be completely compatible, I just can't say that the iTrip Autopilot for iPhone is worth the $100 they charge for it. I can't really blame Griffin for it because everyone knows that FM transmission just isn't the best way to connect your iTunes music to your car audio, but because I don't have an auxilary input on my car stereo, FM transmission is my only choice.

Update:

With the RDS working now, it makes the iTrip Autopilot for iPHone much more enjoyable. I still don't know whether it's worth the hundred bucks, but if you can put up with slight interference from time to time, it is at least a viable option.