Griffin Reveal...Opinions?

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
I haven't seen much comment on this case (maybe because they are in such short supply). Just wondering if anyone here got one before the backorders started.. I placed an order direct from Griffin middle of last week, and in response to an inquiry I submitted through their website, I was advised my order won't ship until first week of August.

I know clear cases can be unpopular since they scratch so easily, but a user on MacRumors came up with a good idea--using a BSE simple back on the Reveal case itself... In fact, I just ordered a simple back from BSE before coming here...

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
^^ Yeah, I definitely see your point about using a BSE to protect an external case, but the scratches would bother me. I strongly prefer clear cases (there's just no accounting for taste, I guess!). IMO, most cases are bulky/ugly. I don't want something to cover up the inherent beauty of the iPhone, yet I do want to provide at least some minimal scratch protection. I figure the extra $8 for the BSE simple back will provide me with something that covers my criteria for an iPhone case...

Anyways, I am hoping at least some users here have gotten a Reveal & will provide their impressions.

I

iPhoneGenius

I'm a big fan of clear cases. The Griffin Reveal is nice but doesn't protect enough of the front part of the phone along the side. A better case in my opinion would be the Griffin iClear.

bubbatex

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Austin, TX
I bought one yesterday at the local Apple Store. I have an Incase Slider and felt it was too big. I wanted something thinner and was looking at the Power Supply Air Jacket. The Reveal is thin, but adds more protection than the Air Jacket - or a Feather, Moshi, etc. It is higher than the bezel, so you can lay it on its face, but the bottom bezel is not covered. The clear back DOES scratch and very easily - I literally saw micro-scratches on it after wiping it with a micro-fiber cloth. It also gets those watermarks with the cover touches the iPhone's back. However, I don't really look at the back! And I like the fact that you can see the logo - just hated covering that up!

Anyway - only been one day - so we'll see how it goes. I might keep it as my everyday case just for scratch protection (I work from home) and get a Speck Candyshell for when I want more out-and-about protection.

Jul 30, 2009
DO NOT BOTHER WITH THIS GARBAGE CASE!

It scratched the hell out of my brand new iPhone 3GS. I was diligent about removing and cleaning it every 1-2 days with a microfiber cloth and it still made DEEP gouges on the back of my iPhone because the plastic on the TOUCHES the iPhone and creates scratches. I exchanged SEVERAL emails with a tech at Griffin and he refused to offer any sort of retribution for the damage sustained to my device, not to mention that he wouldn't even refund my money for the case. He said he'd give me any other Griffin case I wanted but why in the world would I use any of their other cases after this?! Not to mention they're all ugly in my opinion.

Here are pictures of the scratching that occurred from using the Griffin Reveal. Some of the dots in the image are small dust particles but the ones in the red circles are small abrasions that do not clean off. Keep in mind that I put this case on my brand new 3GS the SAME DAY I bought it, it didn't have a single scratch before.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4140/dsc02001o.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9194/dsc02002q.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1556/dsc02003t.jpg
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/8649/dsc02006s.jpg

bubbatex

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Returned mine today - was worried that it might end up scratching the back of my 3GS, the back is slick - just as slick as the iPhone is and I need more grip, and the damn thing scratches up so easily. I wiped it with a clean micro-fiber cloth and got little scratches on it. I hated seeing all the watermarks on the back when I turned it over too.

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007

5shelties

Bronze
Jul 28, 2009
OK, I give up! What is a BSE back for the iPhone? Have done Google and Ebay searches, but...nada

Samurai

Jul 15, 2007
I've had this case for three weeks. I love the looks of the case but the back clear plastic gets scratched up easily.

My big complaint is that dirt got under the back clear part. I took the case off after about 1.5 weeks and cleaned it, but dirt got under it again, mostly by the camera hole. There was one clump of dirt that I cleaned out and I noticed that where the clump of dirt was it took a chip out of my iPhone case. I can't believe some of you have multiple chips and scratched. This really sucks because otherwise I love the case, now I don't want to put it back on my iPhone.

PS - I'm an extremely (OCD) neat person and take really good care of my stuff so dirt getting into the case isn't because I toss the phone around dirty locations.

i like the griffin reveal. It's a great idea, but the case scratches up way too easily. There are tons of scratches on it and i've only had it for a week. I would say to only get it if you have a white iPhone because when i tried it on a black iPhone, you can see the scratches on it a lot more than on a white iPhone where you can't even tell the case is scratched up.

Saints

Bronze
Jul 24, 2009
New Orleans
I have been having this case for about a month now and I have to say that it is the best case I have ever seen as far as looks. The back does scratch, but it doesn't really bother me at all, the scratches are fine and not very noticeable unless looking up close and afterall, that is what a case is for. I think that a few of the reviews here have been unjust about scratching the back of their phone as I think that any case is capable of doing this if you get dirt or debris inside of it, mine has zero scratches on the phone itself from the case. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in incase some of the other reviews have scared people away. This is an overall great case imo and I would buy it again.

vporter

Sep 14, 2008
I wish I had read these reviews prior to purchase :( However, it is better than the Speck Candyshell ONLY because the bulk is reduced with this case. It looks good with the black 3gs, IMO. I'm going to give it a go for a bit. I rather the case gets scratched than the phone.