Group messaging

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I have a question about group messaging. Why is it that when I recieve a group message and people start to message it opens different threads?

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I believe this is because they choose, by accident, to message the whole group and not just the person who started the group message.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I don't think I explained it right. What I should have said is that the person that replies to the group text comes in as a new group text not in the original group text. So that person's reply starts a new group text.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I don't think I explained it right. What I should have said is that the person that replies to the group text comes in as a new group text not in the original group text. So that person's reply starts a new group text.
That's how it is supposed to work, but what happens to me sometimes is every group member I get a separate text from and not just from one from conversation.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I thought that all replies were suppose to a group text were suppose to stay in that group and not start a new one. I have the samething that happens to you I get a separate text from some of the people in the group text.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I thought that all replies were suppose to a group text were suppose to stay in that group and not start a new one. I have the samething that happens to you I get a separate text from some of the people in the group text.
I am unsure about what happened a long while back with a group text many people received at my school, but it stayed as a group text...I'm not sure if a new one was started near the beginning though. I'm unsure how that would happen.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It stays in a group if everyone is using iMessages, but I always get separate texts from people with Androids that are in the group.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
It stays in a group if everyone is using iMessages, but I always get separate texts from people with Androids that are in the group.
So in order for it stay in that one group text I would have to disable iMessages and everyone that uses it?

Last edited:

Vcoronel127

Bronze
Aug 30, 2011
Sounds like although we're able to group text, Apple is still a log way in perfecting it. What good is a group thread when it opens a separate thread when everyone responds

Sent from my iPhone

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Sounds like although we're able to group text, Apple is still a log way in perfecting it. What good is a group thread when it opens a separate thread when everyone responds

Sent from my iPhone
Well it somewhat makes sense as iMessage is only to another iPhone.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Still..Apple should be able to take a thread and keep in organized..android or not

Sent from my iPhone
I think what would need to happen is for all the different phone makers get together and work out this issue. That would never happen haha.

Nov 8, 2014
I can always group message with all contacts that use iMessage, but if someone is on that thread that uses Android, that persons response comes in as a separate text.

detroity2k

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Detroit, MI
I don't know. I've never tried it.
I am unable to find a thread that discuss the possibility of creating a group and name it example: "My Kids" and having the ability to send text messages to them. I currently use an old thread over and over but I would like to be able to name group like a contact. You can name groups in icloud but you cant sent text, sms, imessage to that group. Am I looking for something that does not exist or please explain how to do it without a 3rd party app like text2group.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I am unable to find a thread that discuss the possibility of creating a group and name it example: "My Kids" and having the ability to send text messages to them. I currently use an old thread over and over but I would like to be able to name group like a contact. You can name groups in icloud but you cant sent text, sms, imessage to that group. Am I looking for something that does not exist or please explain how to do it without a 3rd party app like text2group.
Sadly this isn't built into the software unless I've been blind for several years. I did find a good app though that you may like. It's called 'Group Contacts!'

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1432513126.369977.jpg

I just tested it and it works well. :)

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can do this with stock messaging app as long as everyone in the group is using iMessages. Send a message to two or more contacts, then press the "Details" button in the upper right corner and type in a name in the Group Name field at the top. Here are some screenshots:
IMG_1771.jpg IMG_1772.jpg
Sadly this isn't built into the software unless I've been blind for several years. I did find a good app though that you may like. It's called 'Group Contacts!'

View attachment 41704

I just tested it and it works well. :)
It's there. It's an iOS 8 feature.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
You can do this with stock messaging app as long as everyone in the group is using iMessages. Send a message to two or more contacts, then press the "Details" button in the upper right corner and type in a name in the Group Name field at the top. Here are some test screenshots:
View attachment 41705 View attachment 41706

It's there. It's an iOS 8 feature.
Right, but I took what they wanted as adding contacts into an actual group like that can be saved as a contact "group" so if the text gets removed then they can just select that group again.