Group messaging

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Right, but I took what they wanted as adding contacts into an actual group like that can be saved as a contact "group" so if the text gets removed then they can just select that group again.
Please rephrase your reply. I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Please rephrase your reply. I don't understand what you're trying to say.
I took what they wanted as say the group text gets deleted, then they can reselect it in contacts app, or just type in text message, my kids, for example.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I took what they wanted as say the group text gets deleted, then they can reselect it in contacts app, or just type in text message, my kids, for example.
I didn't take it that way. He said he just wants to name the group like a contact and he can do that. The only stipulation is that they are all using iPhones. You're needlessly complicating this.

RBNetEngr

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2013
I have a message group with my kids and I, and we gave the group a name, as was highlighted in an earlier message.

However, every now and then someone will reply to a message and it will come as a new group message rather than to the original group message.

I suspect it may be because we have multiple IDs associated with iMessage, including a mobile number and one or more email addresses. When everyone sends from their iPhone, it uses the phone number of the iPhone. However, replying to a group message using a wifi-only iPad, or from a Mac, may use the email address of the sender, thus changing the makeup of the group and creating a new group message thread.

I need to test this hypothesis with my kids.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have a message group with my kids and I, and we gave the group a name, as was highlighted in an earlier message.

However, every now and then someone will reply to a message and it will come as a new group message rather than to the original group message.

I suspect it may be because we have multiple IDs associated with iMessage, including a mobile number and one or more email addresses. When everyone sends from their iPhone, it uses the phone number of the iPhone. However, replying to a group message using a wifi-only iPad, or from a Mac, may use the email address of the sender, thus changing the makeup of the group and creating a new group message thread.

I need to test this hypothesis with my kids.
It will come through as a separate message if it is sent as a text rather than an iMessage. This could happen because of a poor signal or problem with iMessages at the time. Another possible reason is that someone is added to the group message with their phone number (because that's the default on their iPhone) and then they reply from their iPad, which sends the message from their email. This can be fixed by adding both their email and their phone number.

RBNetEngr

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2013
You described the scenario perfectly. We all have iPhones, but then they each have a MacBook while I have an iMac and iPad. If I reply to the group message thread from the iMac or iPad, it creates a new thread.

Are you saying that we all need to have the iPhone phone number and all email addresses that we all may use for iMessage listed in the contact info for ALL of us on ALL of OUR devices?

So, if one of us has two or three email addresses associated with iMessage, we all need to have all of those email addresses listed in the contact info for that person, on all of our devices (or we each need to have iCloud sync the contact list between all of our devices)?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You described the scenario perfectly. We all have iPhones, but then they each have a MacBook while I have an iMac and iPad. If I reply to the group message thread from the iMac or iPad, it creates a new thread.

Are you saying that we all need to have the iPhone phone number and all email addresses that we all may use for iMessage listed in the contact info for ALL of us on ALL of OUR devices?

So, if one of us has two or three email addresses associated with iMessage, we all need to have all of those email addresses listed in the contact info for that person, on all of our devices (or we each need to have iCloud sync the contact list between all of our devices)?
No. All you need to do is add each person to the group message twice. First with their phone number and then with their iMessages-associated email address that they send and receive messages from. If they have multiple emails associated with it, add them all to the conversation.