Guess the price of the iPad mini

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So I guess there is no 8GB cheap iPad mini ?
No, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea. $329 is too much for some people, so they'll still lose more sales to Android than they would have if they had come out with an 8 GB for under $299. It's not like they won't sell millions either way, though.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
No, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea. $329 is too much for some people, so they'll still lose more sales to Android than they would have if they had come out with an 8 GB for under $299. It's not like they won't sell millions either way, though.
I think 8GB is entirely too small for an iPad. I do think a $299 price point would have been a death blow to 7-inch Android devices. Honestly, I think at $329, they'll still sell a ton. With the marketing, Apple Stores and ecosystem -- they can get away with stretching their profits. For every customer they lose because of the more affordable option, they'll get how many who will be new iPad owners. If they lose customers because of this pricing, it's most likely customers who already own an iPad, but would have purchased a second if it was sub-$249.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think 8GB is entirely too small for an iPad. I do think a $299 price point would have been a death blow to 7-inch Android devices. Honestly, I think at $329, they'll still sell a ton. With the marketing, Apple Stores and ecosystem -- they can get away with stretching their profits. For every customer they lose because of the more affordable option, they'll get how many who will be new iPad owners. If they lose customers because of this pricing, it's most likely customers who already own an iPad, but would have purchased a second if it was sub-$249.
Well, I wouldn't have bought it, but I think a lot of people who are on tight budges would have. They'll just go with Android instead. I'm pretty sure I could get by with 8 GB just fine if I needed to. It would take some resource discipline that I'm not used to, but it's completely doable. Just sync two movies at a time, a couple playlists, a bunch of books and several apps and games. We pay for the convenience of not having to do that. We have the luxury of being able to sync our entire music library and 15 movies on it, but do we really need to?

Yes, I agree, they will still sell millions regardless of the lack of an option for less than $300. I'm just saying they could have sold even more. I think there are a lot of people who can't justify or afford $329 for a tablet, but could go as high as $249.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
$329 for the mini just seems in my opinion to be to high. I have the 16gb Nexus 7 and $249 was the sweet spot. I know it's only $30, but all my marketing classes would tell you that a $299 iPad mini would sell better than the $329.

I have been reading all of the reviews on how they are stating that the iPad mini is worth $129 more than the Nexus 7 (Comparing it to the 8gb model). Two of the points they make is screen size and Apple's ecosystem. First of all I think that the 7 inch size is perfect for reading books, especially on the train or subway as it is truly one handed. Also the Nexus 7 fits into my jacket pocket (though I do wish it had the smart cover). Also the Nexus 7 has a resolution of 1280 x 800 compared to the ipad mini at 1024 x 768.

Second, the Apple Ecosystem. I have a lot of Apple gadgets in my family(wife & mom have iPhones, daughter and son have iPod touches and iPad 2) so I use the ecosystem a lot. In the past I think that the size of the App Market was more of a point for Apple, however, in the past year or so, the Google Play Store (Hate the name) has really stepped up and there are a lot of developers making Android apps and all of the Apps I need are available on both platforms.

The big issue I had when I decided to try Android, was that all of my music is in iTunes. I found a good solution that works. I use Isyncer to sync my HTC One X to iTunes and it works great.....playlists and rating all sync quite nicely. The one thing that I don't miss was having to convert my avi media to iTunes format......

One thing that I found odd as I watched the iPad Mini presentation was that Apple introduced all of these new upgraded models (Mac Mini, Macbook, iMac and New iPad), then when they introduced the Mini they kept comparing it to the iPad 2, which would have been fine if they had not just made that device 2 generations older. If they were going to kill the iPad 3 (New iPad name does not make sense anymore) I would have thought that the iPad mini would have come with the iPad 3 processor and specs instead of the iPad 2.

Not a rant against Apple as I love and own many of their products, I just think both OSes are mature enough that I find it hard to justify paying $80 more for the iPad Mini over the 16gb Nexus 7....

~S

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
when they introduced the Mini they kept comparing it to the iPad 2, which would have been fine if they had not just made that device 2 generations older. If they were going to kill the iPad 3 (New iPad name does not make sense anymore) I would have thought that the iPad mini would have come with the iPad 3 processor and specs instead of the iPad 2.

Not a rant against Apple as I love and own many of their products, I just think both OSes are mature enough that I find it hard to justify paying $80 more for the iPad Mini over the 16gb Nexus 7....

~S
I agree... If it had updated hardware (iPad 3 processor / memory) then I would probably buy one... I did not expect a retina display on the mini (that will be next year) but to release a *new* product sporting 2 year old hardware at a premium price just makes me scratch my head...

I am only slightly interested because of the size.. I really think I would enjoy the 7.9" form factor but I can't justify the cost with the old hardware Apple included..

Now if it had iPad 3 specs (minus the retina) I'd buy it....

My .02

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I agree... If it had updated hardware (iPad 3 processor / memory) then I would probably buy one... I did not expect a retina display on the mini (that will be next year) but to release a *new* product sporting 2 year old hardware at a premium price just makes me scratch my head...

I am only slightly interested because of the size.. I really think I would enjoy the 7.9" form factor but I can't justify the cost with the old hardware Apple included..

Now if it had iPad 3 specs (minus the retina) I'd buy it....

My .02
Why would you think the mini has old hardware?

you could say the same for iPAd4 old hardware since they use the old "un-thin"body
Yes A5 Chip is perhaps "Old"
The display has no retina but still is not the same as iPAd2 .
One way to make the devices thinner is to change the display glass what Apple has done.
Resolution is higher, since the size is smaller and it refers to pixels only
I can not speak for any graphics chips (no data available)
But everything else is new
Redesigned body/housing.display
Siri
Cameras and video recording
new Wifi and bluetooth 4.0 and LTE
Nano sim too
All compatible with iPad4 exept that one is thick and heavy
So old hardware hardly? if you said old chip perhaps

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Why would you think the mini has old hardware?

you could say the same for iPAd4 old hardware since they use the old "un-thin"body
Yes A5 Chip is perhaps "Old"
The display has no retina but still is not the same as iPAd2 .
One way to make the devices thinner is to change the display glass what Apple has done.
Resolution is higher, since the size is smaller and it refers to pixels only
I can not speak for any graphics chips (no data available)
But everything else is new
Redesigned body/housing.display
Siri
Cameras and video recording
new Wifi and bluetooth 4.0 and LTE
Nano sim too
All compatible with iPad4 exept that one is thick and heavy
So old hardware hardly? if you said old chip perhaps

I say old hardware because during Apple's presentation they constantly compared the Mini to the iPad 2. In my opinion, at the $329 price point, I would have expected the Mini to have the internals of the Ipad 3. Again this is just my opinion.

~S

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My take on pricing: the Mini prices are designed to allow an upgrade in the spring with retina and A6 with no price change.
I think this will happen, but not in the spring. I think it will be next fall.

lovercase

Bronze
Jun 12, 2012
Wi-Fi version: $329 for 16GB version, $429 for 32GB version and $ 529 for 64GB version. 4G models: 16GB version is $ 459, 32GB version for $ 559, 64GB version for $ 659.-------------From the media reports​

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
I do think the price is off putting but they would have to reduce the iPod Touch price if they went with a lower price than $329.

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Wi-Fi version: $329 for 16GB version, $429 for 32GB version and $ 529 for 64GB version. 4G models: 16GB version is $ 459, 32GB version for $ 559, 64GB version for $ 659.-------------From the media reports​
Thank you for the literal after the fact answer to the question.