guidance needed: 1.1.2 unlocked => 1.1.4 unlocked

darkomano

Mar 5, 2008
Hi....

I bought a 1.1.2 OTB iPhone which was unlocked, activated and jailbroken when I bought it. I mention this here to establish that I do not know which method was used to bring the iPhone to this status.

I now wish to upgrade to 1.1.4. I tried first soft-upgrading to 1.1.3 using the dev Team's firmware (from Installer) but it while downloading the ipsw file it got stuck at 48% and didn't budge for a while. I panicked and I soft-reset the phone.

I then tried restoring it to 1.1.4 using iTunes (the guy I bought the phone from warned me not to upgrade through iTunes, and not to use ZiPhone. Should I listen to him?) but while "preparing your iPhone for ....." it gave me an error "...cannot be restored...". I aborted the process.

Can someone please answer these questions?

1. What is the safest way of upgrading/restroing to unlocked, activated and jailbroken 1.1.4?
2. Should I first "restore" to 1.1.3 and then "restore" to 1.1.4?
3. Is restoring better than upgrading? Does upgrading somehow affect the BL?
4. I checked and my BL is 3.9. Does that somehow affect the process?
5. I read somewhere that the ZiPhone process is not recommended because its irresversible. Is that true? Should I be worried about that? Is there another safer option?
6. Do I need to "virginize" the phone before Ziphoning it? Or restore it back to OTB condition? How can I do that?
7. If somehow something goes wrong, will the "refurbish" button on ZiPhone bring the iPhone back? To which status/firmware?

The iPhone is actually my wife's (a birthday gift!) and I don't want to (a) mess it up and live in the doghouse for the rest of my life, and (b) appear as a complete moron who has no idea what he's doing :sick:

Thanks!

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I'm sure manofthedark has shown you what to do, but I have used the refurbish button on ZiPhone and it worked for me. It sets your phone up, so it can be reset back to whatever firmware you want in iTunes. Ideal for if you have a locked phone and need to return it to Apple.

While it is running, iTunes will raise errors, but you just ignore them. When refurbish is finished, iTunes will tell you that it's found an iPhone in restore mode. You then just restore back to whatever firmware you want and use ZiPhone again to unlock it all.

Hi....

I bought a 1.1.2 OTB iPhone which was unlocked, activated and jailbroken when I bought it. I mention this here to establish that I do not know which method was used to bring the iPhone to this status.

I now wish to upgrade to 1.1.4. I tried first soft-upgrading to 1.1.3 using the dev Team's firmware (from Installer) but it while downloading the ipsw file it got stuck at 48% and didn't budge for a while. I panicked and I soft-reset the phone.

I then tried restoring it to 1.1.4 using iTunes (the guy I bought the phone from warned me not to upgrade through iTunes, and not to use ZiPhone. Should I listen to him?) but while "preparing your iPhone for ....." it gave me an error "...cannot be restored...". I aborted the process.

Can someone please answer these questions?

1. What is the safest way of upgrading/restroing to unlocked, activated and jailbroken 1.1.4?
2. Should I first "restore" to 1.1.3 and then "restore" to 1.1.4?
3. Is restoring better than upgrading? Does upgrading somehow affect the BL?
4. I checked and my BL is 3.9. Does that somehow affect the process?
5. I read somewhere that the ZiPhone process is not recommended because its irresversible. Is that true? Should I be worried about that? Is there another safer option?
6. Do I need to "virginize" the phone before Ziphoning it? Or restore it back to OTB condition? How can I do that?
7. If somehow something goes wrong, will the "refurbish" button on ZiPhone bring the iPhone back? To which status/firmware?

The iPhone is actually my wife's (a birthday gift!) and I don't want to (a) mess it up and live in the doghouse for the rest of my life, and (b) appear as a complete moron who has no idea what he's doing :sick:

Thanks!

darkomano

Mar 5, 2008
Actually I have yet to contact him, I will be doing that now. I really appreciate all the help I can get with this thing, but I would also be really grateful if someone took some time to answer my questions specifically.

Thanks for the input guys.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
ctually, you can contact me via AIM as well, and I can answer your questions in real time. screenname - thenewmrbobefore4

have a great day.