Guide: "Easy" Jailbreak 1.1.1 without restoring to 1.0.2 (Windows!)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This is my easy guide for jailbreaking an iPhone on 1.1.1 without having to restore to 1.0.2. Please note this guide is for Windows users.

Update:Go here for an even easier guide:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/t...1-1-without-restoring-to-1-0-2-windows.12715/

Longer Guide (older method, but still works)
(Deprecated as of 10/13/2007 10 AM PDT.)

Downloads needed:

Jailbreak kit:
http://conceitedsoftware.com/iPhone/1.1.1-jailbreak.zip

DLLs:
Link removed.

SSH kit:
http://devices.natetrue.com/iPhone/sshkit.zip

iBrickr 0.9 (only needed to get its copy of iPhoneinterface.exe:
http://ibrickr.com/downloads/ibrickr_v0.91.zip

BSD World:
http://iPhone.natetrue.com/BSD_Base-2.0.tar.gz
http://iPhone.natetrue.com/BSD_Extra-2.1.tar.gz

Installer:
http://rapidshare.com/files/62116904/Installer.zip.html

Extract each of the above downloads into a separate folder. Place iPhoneinterface.exe from iBrickr folder into sshkit folder, overwriting the copy already there. Place the two DLLs within the iTunesMobileDevice folder into both the Jailbreak kit folder (1.1.1-jailbreak) and the sshkit folder.

You will also need WinSCP installed on your PC. Get it here:
http://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Phase I (Jailbreak)

1.) Restore or update to 1.1.1 using iTunes. No need to downgrade to 1.0.2.

2.) Close iTunes after successfuly restoring to 1.1.1. When iTunes asks if you would like to restore your settings from backup, let it (unless you want to clear out all of your settings, SMS messages, call history, etc.).

3.) Visit the tiff exploit page on the iPhone:
jailbreak.toc2rta.com
(Do NOT go here unless you are jailbreaking 1.1.1!)

This should crash Mobile Safari. In fact this is what is supposed to happen. If it doesn’t try it again.

4.) Run iphuc-jailbreak.exe (inside the 1.1.1-jailbreak folder) on your PC and enter the following command:
putjailbreak rdisk0s1 /dev/rdisk0s1

5.) Re-start iPhone (turned it off then back on).

6.) Run iphuc-jailbreak.exe again to verify read-write access using the following command:
getfile /etc/fstab fstab

This copies fstab to the folder that iphuc-jailbreak.exe is in. Open fstab in Notepad and see if looks like below (not necessarily on two lines—that is OK):
/dev/disk0s1 / hfs rw 0 1
/dev/disk0s2 /private/var hfs rw,noexec 0 2

If yours looks like this then read-write access is in place. Your iPhone is out of jail!

Phase II (Install SSH on iPhone)

1.) Run sshify-windows.bat from the sshkit folder. Follow carefuly the instructions to restart iPhone.

2.) Copy com.apple.update.plist from the sshkit folder to the jailbreak kit folder on your PC.

3.) Run iPhoneinterface.exe (inside the sshkit folder) and enter the following:
putfile /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.update.plist

4.) Restart iPhone again.

Phase III (Connect to iPhone via WinSCP)

1.) Make sure your iPhone is connected to your WiFi network. You will need its IP address, which can be found in Settings-->WiFi. Tap “>” next to your WiFi network to see your iPhone’s IP address. Leave your iPhone connected to a power source.

2.) If you have ever used WinSCP with your iPhone before open WinSCP click Tools, Cleanup, Un/check all, and then click OK. This will clear out any remnants of earlier connections. If you have never used WinSCP with your iPhone before, just proceed to step 3.

3.) In WinSCP click the New button to set up a new connection. Enter your iPhone’s IP address in Hostname (leave port at 22). Enter user name of root and password of alpine. Leave private key file blank, but make sure file protocol is SCP. Click Save to save the connection.

4.) Double-click the saved connection to connect.

5.) You might get an error message the first time you try to connect. Try again and it should work (don’t worry about a Groups message).

6.) Navigate to the root (“/”) folder on your iPhone using WinSCP. Do this by double-clicking the folder icon with two dots in it (the first one) in the right pane of WinSCP. When you see the folders Applications, bin, cores, etc., you are there. Leave WinSCP open.

Phase IV (BSD World, Springboard Patch, Symlink Removal)

1.) Open the BSD_Base-2.0 folder. Once inside double-click the BSD_Base folder. You should see bin, lib, sbin, and usr folders.

2.) Drag and drop the folders into the right pane of WinSCP (which should be at the root folder of the iPhone). DO NOT drop onto an existing folder—drop onto the bottom of the pane, or anywhere—just don’t drop onto an existing folder. When WinSCP asks if you want to replace a folder, agree to it. It will ask several times.

3.) Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the bin and usr folders contained in the BSD_Extra-2.1 folder.

4.) In WinSCP navigate to the /usr/bin folder.

5.) Drag and drop springpatch from the Jailbreak toolkit folder to the /usr/bin folder.

6.) In WinSCP open the /bin folder and select all files (Ctrl-A).

7.) Press F9 and the properties window opens. In the Octal field enter 0755. Click OK.

8.) Repeat step 6 for the /lib/sa, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin folders.

9.) BSD World is now installed (leave WinSCP open).

10.) In WinSCP click the terminal icon (or go to CommandsàOpen Terminal). This opens the terminal window.

11.) In the Enter Command box enter:
rm /var/root/Media

12.) In the Enter Command box enter:
mv /var/root/Mediaold /var/root/Media

13.) In the Enter Command box enter:
springpatch

Phase V (Finish Up)

1.) Navigate to /Applications on the iPhone using WinSCP.

2.) Drag and drop the Installer.app folder into /Applications on the iPhone. Be careful not to drop onto an existing folder.

3.) Open the /Applications/Installer.app in WinSCP.

4.) Press Ctrl-A to select all files, F9 to bring up properties, and enter 0755 in the Octal field.

5.) Repeat step 4 for the /Applications/Installer.app/InstallerPlugin.webplugin folder.

6.) Restart the iPhone (last time!).

7.) Start iTunes and sync. You might have to restore your settings again, but you will not revert back to a virgin 1.1.1.

--
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

sr4482

Oct 9, 2007
I am following the instructions, but when running iphuc-jailbreak, it keeps telling me "failed to start because iTunesMobileDevice.dll was not found.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I am following the instructions, but when running iphuc-jailbreak, it keeps telling me "failed to start because iTunesMobileDevice.dll was not found.

Has anyone encountered this problem?
Download them here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/62133418/iTunesMobileDevice.zip.html

Place the two DLLs within the above download into both the Jailbreak kit folder (1.1.1-jailbreak) and the sshkit folder.

I have updated the guide to include this information.

Good luck!

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Easy? Still like my old-skool firmware!

Edit: do appreciate the good work on behalf of us win-box users though!
LOL that's why I quoted "easy." And at least the jailbreak part is easy--and even installing SSH on the iPhone. And once you get to that point you are on your way.

I should note that I am actually glad now that I had to restore my already jailbroken 1.1.1 iPhone. It looks like I've gained about 325 MB of space. The "Other" category in iTunes used to show up as 275 MB. Now it shows as 48 MB--and all my apps are installed. And it's not like iTunes was lieing, that space was not available. Before re-jailbreaking I had only 230 MB free, now I have 558 MB free. Plus I am glad any old crap is now gone (I assume there were traces of stuff I didn't use, or didn't want still hanging around--and again, I have all my apps installed now).

--
Mike

Oct 12, 2007
Bought my iPhone yesterday!

Hi quick question..
I got my phone yesterday.. I did the field test mode thing and my phone is running version 04.01.13_G which means it's already got 1.1.1 firmware.

The nifty diagram on Entong's sticky thread "before buying iPhone read this first" says that I am screwed.

Your jailbreak 1.1.1 post is newer; does this method unlock my virgin 1.1.1 phone?

Can you point me towards a method to unlock my phone? I saw some threads about TurboSim and SuperSim but it looks like supply is low.

I want to use my Sim cards for T-mobile Dallas Tx and (MTS or Beeline) in Moscow, (neither sim card says N3 on it.

Huge thanks for anyone who answers my noob questions!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Hi quick question..
I got my phone yesterday.. I did the field test mode thing and my phone is running version 04.01.13_G which means it's already got 1.1.1 firmware.

The nifty diagram on Entong's sticky thread "before buying iPhone read this first" says that I am screwed.

Your jailbreak 1.1.1 post is newer; does this method unlock my virgin 1.1.1 phone?

Can you point me towards a method to unlock my phone? I saw some threads about TurboSim and SuperSim but it looks like supply is low.

I want to use my Sim cards for T-mobile Dallas Tx and (MTS or Beeline) in Moscow, (neither sim card says N3 on it.

Huge thanks for anyone who answers my noob questions!
The steps outlined in this guide are for jailbreaking (freeing the files ystem to allow third-party apps and mods).

While it wouldn't hurt you to use this guide it won't unlock your iPhone to use with other carriers. However, there has just been several developments that DO allow a 1.1.1 iPhone to be unlocked (without the need for TurboSIM).

See here for an example (though I would not unlock just yet--I would wait till it is perfected):
http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9628

--
Mike

purefx

Sep 24, 2007
If you follow the guide to completion you will have one new icon: Installer. Since you already have Installer you don't need AppTap.

--
Mike
Thanks a lot for posting this Tinman. If I screw up, restoring still works correct?

Also, I can't get the site to crash my phone, only my browser.

Johny5

Bronze
Aug 4, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Easy 1.1.1

Thanks for the tut Mike.

I had followed an alternate that was much more cumbersome. For some reason my phone hung at the Apple logo when rebooting after an App install (don't remember which). Anyway, yours is much more streamline and worked great for me with exception for the SSH install. I kept getting an error; file 0 near the last script line?

I'm sure there's an easy fix, but I used an alternate SSH file http://devices.natetrue.com/iPhone/sshkit.zip

This required iPhone interface from 'the latest iBrickr' to be placed in the SSH folder.

Another issue some folks may come across is placement of the phonedmg file. I originally saved mine on an external drive. From that location I was unable to run the iphuc-jailbreak.exe? For some reason it would only work from my C:

A bit off post, do you know how to force iTunes to hold a recent backup? My most recent that was held is ~60 days old, and was done while Outlook calendar was still visible even though the phone had been synced multiple times since?

Hope this helps some others; and thanks again, it was nice not to have to downgrade.

J5

purefx

Sep 24, 2007
--------PHASE 1: Getting files off your iphone---------
s_iPhoneInterface
s_Waiting for phone
s_Connection established.
e_Not jailbroken
r_command
r_command

During SSHkit install its stalling here. Any ideas? I confirmed the phone is jailbroken.

Thanks for the help.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks for the tut Mike.

I had followed an alternate that was much more cumbersome. For some reason my phone hung at the Apple logo when rebooting after an App install (don't remember which). Anyway, yours is much more streamline and worked great for me with exception for the SSH install. I kept getting an error; file 0 near the last script line?

I'm sure there's an easy fix, but I used an alternate SSH file http://devices.natetrue.com/iPhone/sshkit.zip

This required iPhone interface from 'the latest iBrickr' to be placed in the SSH folder.
Hmmm, I thought I covered this in the guide. I am on m iiPhone now, but didn't I link to the same location for the SSH kit?
--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
--------PHASE 1: Getting files off your iphone---------
s_iPhoneInterface
s_Waiting for phone
s_Connection established.
e_Not jailbroken
r_command
r_command

During SSHkit install its stalling here. Any ideas? I confirmed the phone is jailbroken.

Thanks for the help.
Try copying the DLLs from the DLLs download to the sshkit folder.

--
Mike