GUIDE: How to fix "different SIM detected" after jailbreak/unlock

jadi929

Nov 4, 2008
Once you jailbreak/unlock your iPhone, you should have access to Cydia and Installer.

Follow the steps below to get rid of the "different sim detected" message

1. Use QUICKPWN 2.1 procedure to Jailbreak and Unlock.

2. Now you need to remove the previous activation, for that you need to follow the below procedures.

2.1 Remove any sim cards inside so you have access to cydia, than open cydia, and you are going to search and find the following applications, than install them

- Open NTPD
- Open SSH
- Automatic SSH

3. Download and Use WinSCP to connect to iPhone
Download WinSCP http://sourceforge.net/project/down...lename=winscp417setup.exe&use_mirror=internap

Guide on using WinSCP with iPhone http://limitededitioniphone.com/windows-guide-to-using-winscp-with-iphone/

4. Follow the below steps:

4.1 Download patched lockdown file from here
http://rs309.rapidshare.com/files/139572019/Lockdown.zip

4.2 Navigate to to /private/var/root/Library/ and copy lockdown folder to your desktop (for backup just in case - this you need to do)

4.3 Delete that folder from phone

4.4 Unzip downloaded patched file and upload to phone to replace the folder you just deleted (make sure you replace the acutal lockdown folder that has the files in it)

4.5 Naviagte into patched folder and make sure file pemissions are set to 644 for all files (right click on "lockdown" and go to properties, than set file permission to 0644)

4.6 Reboot phone

If you have any question, let me know.

Feb 8, 2009
cydia wont work

we followed your instructions but when we removed the SIM card and gained access to Cydia the opening screen says "Unable to Load (No Internet connection) we tried to search for Open NTPD, Open SSH, and Automatic SSH but it returned no results. cydia does display a bunch of apps just not the ones we need. any suggestions?

Feb 10, 2009
Hi I have followed the instructions, now - with no sim card i can't get in the phone

Any help i would appreciate

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Can someone verify this works or make corrections if possible. I'm having this same issue, but I want to be sure this works before moving forward with it.

Thanks in advanced

south

Feb 20, 2009
i did all of these steps but it is still giving me the "slide for emergency" screen whether i have a sim card in there or not

Alecia

Feb 22, 2009
Miami
It Worked!

OMG thank you soooooo much! I have been up for 2 days searching different sites and trying a bunch of things with no luck...I tried this one time and it worked....I was kinda skeptical because everyone left replies saying that it didn't work, but I did it as a last ditch effort and it actually worked...THANKS! :laugh2:

Alecia

Feb 22, 2009
Miami
You have to be connected to wifi...log into winscp...follow this person's directions exactly as written and it will work....worked for me!

teepee

Apr 21, 2009
not working

beware, this fix does not work on all phones. Tried this with me 1g iPhone FW 2.2.1 and it also did not fix it and also I cannot access my iPhone via iTunes or use it with the original SIM or no SIM

has anyone recovered their iPhone from this "fix"? Any help? All is appreciated!

twrc

Apr 30, 2009
It worked like a dream for me. Thank you so so much - you have put an end to several stressful days of nervous tinkering. :)

PJPJPJ

Jun 2, 2009
This so works!

Worked like a Charm! THANKS SOOO MUCH! FYI, for those that it didn't work for, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS - Really! :laugh2:

ixajaxi

Aug 2, 2009
I used Redsn0w to Jailbreak and UltraSn0w to unlock. Now I am at the different sim detected problem. Can I run these steps described from here? just too much work or else.

rizvics8

Oct 8, 2009
Help please

Ok i get to step 4.2 and i did that. Now the steps after that i just don't understand at all. Now my iPhone 3g is completely locked and it says no SIM card installed insert a valid sim with no pin lock to activate phone.

4.3 Delete that folder from phone

4.4 [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Unzip[/COLOR][/COLOR]

downloaded patched file and upload to phone to replace the folder you just deleted (make sure you replace the acutal lockdown folder that has the files in it)

4.5 Naviagte into patched folder and make sure file pemissions are set to 644 for all files (right click on "lockdown" and go to properties, than set file permission to 0644)

These three steps are confusing me. Can someone make it easier for me please.

glen2180

Nov 14, 2009
This guide really works for me

this is a great instruction, which really works for me. i tried with iPhone 2g and now using oficially activated orange sim. accurate guide really thanks to jadi929:eek:k:eek:k

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Why would we trust someone with two posts? PJPJPJ, you're probably the same person as the OP using two different accounts. Fail!

linh

Bronze
Jun 29, 2010
I was sufferring with this Different SIM detected and found this. First I didn't want to try it since I have the 3GS but out of frustration, i said what the heck...and it works perfectly. I have ot put my SIM back and plug in iTunes 9.2 after this procedure. iTunes said Phone activated and voila` no more message. I did tried to turn the phone off and on a few times and no more F****ing message appears. Thanks a million jadi929.

pagani

Jul 29, 2010
I have been trying to unlock my original iPhone (2G) running 3.1.3. I used Snow to jailbreak it and I think I did it successfuly. HOwever, I got the 'different sim detected' message and I haven't been able to fully implement the procedures you detail herein.

1. Does the fact that I did not use quick pawn influence my success? I have access to Cydia but not Installer. HOw do I get the second one if it is needed?

2. I was able to download Open SSH, but not the other two you detail in step 2. Does this influence my success in following your instructions?

3. I installed WinSCP, but have no success in pasting the patched folder I downloaded from the web. I was able to delete the current folder, which thankfully I backed up, because deleting it made my phone non-fucntional, even as an 'iPod touch'

4.1 I downloaded and unzipped the file as you instructed

4.2 - 4.5 I used an alternate program from the one you suggested to browse and access the path you describe: iPhone Browser. I changed permission, but still nothing seems to have changed. When I insert the SIM from my new phone provider (T-mobile), the SIM is still not accepted, and phone is essentially a brick with a dial pad for emergencies.

Any tips on what else I can do or where I went wrong? I will be very grateful. I realize now what an essential productivity tool my iPhone is. Anything on the other replacement phone becomes so inefficient to complete.

pagani

Jul 29, 2010
A quick update: I actually paid attention how to use WinSCP and how to transfer files between my computer and the iPhone. It worker like a charm, and now my iPhone is mine again. Thanks for the steps, in hindsight they were very thorough and concise. I am very grateful.

operator

Aug 25, 2010
How to prevent?

Is there any way of preventing this error from happening? I want to unlock my 3gs on 4.0, but only if it 100% safe, what do I do to prevent "Different Sim Detected" from occuring?