Guide: Jailbreak and unlock your 1.1.1 iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks for the link wildonrio. I have a question for you. I plan on buying a new iPhone and unlocking it for a friend who has Tmobile. Does that mean I need his SIM card in order to get pass the activation?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Thanks for the link wildonrio. I have a question for you. I plan on buying a new iPhone and unlocking it for a friend who has Tmobile. Does that mean I need his SIM card in order to get pass the activation?
There are two types of activation with 1.1.1. The first is getting the phone to actually start working, you know when you first turn it on and it says "Activate iPhone, Connect to iTunes". The second is after you run anySIM 1.1, you still can't get any sim card to work until you "activate" again. The link above describes how to fix the second activation problem. The first one, I still am trying to figure out a good way to do it. The only way I was able to come up with is to sign with AT&T and then once the phone is unlocked, turn around and cancel. They let you cancel in 30 days with no penalties. This way is pretty annoying though.

If you come up with a good way to get past the first activation, let me know. I know that DVD Jon has a way to do it at hacktheiPhone.com, but it looks hard (for me anyway) and I believe it's now deprecated. There has got to be an easier way...

In answer to your question, no you don't need anyone's SIM to get past the activation, either one.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll do some more searching to see if there's any way to bypass that first activation without having to do the whole AT&T thing. I'll let you know if I find anything.

So even though the guide states "You need to have your sim card on your iPhone while activating it", they're just referring to the blank SIM card that your new phone comes with?

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll do some more searching to see if there's any way to bypass that first activation without having to do the whole AT&T thing. I'll let you know if I find anything.

So even though the guide states "You need to have your sim card on your iPhone while activating it", they're just referring to the blank SIM card that your new phone comes with?
Once again, which activation - the first or second?

For the first, if you do it by signing a contract you're going to cancel later, then you need your AT&T SIM in there that came with the phone. If you do it some other way, we don't know yet since we are both researching that.

For the second, no, you don't need any SIM in there for that (that I'm aware of). Even if you do, it doesn't need to be the SIM you are going to use as your main SIM. Once it's unlocked with anySIM, it really is just that - any SIM, any time, switching in and out as you please. So yeah, you can use the blank SIM that came with your phone.

okay what about the update 1.1.1 just for the 3rd party apps NOTTTTT to "unlock anysim type deal"
Check out TinMan's guide, it's usually near the top of this mods forum.