Guidelines To Help Improve Our Community

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
We have an extensive laundry list of forum policy guidelines. It was first created in July of 2007 and was updated last on March 3rd. Most people don't read them, at least until after they get in trouble. Over the past few months, much of my time has been dedicated to cleaning up some of the older, poor content that plagues every forum. It can have an adverse effect that directly impacts the sustainability of a community. I'm happy to report that the clean-up is done and I'm incredibly excited about the path forward.

My goals for this site are to see the forums at everythingiCafe evolve in a way that's not happening elsewhere. That list of policies remains in effect, but I wanted to put together a set of guidelines that would be useful to improving the overall quality and experience you have at everythingiCafe. I certainly realize this is a new way of thinking and for some, it's a change in how you've used forums in the past. Please know that this is not aimed at any one individual or past posts. If it was, I'd be in trouble. It's about working together as a community to be the best.

While I might add to this in the future, I thought it was important not to fall into the trap of creating a list of 60 rules. Instead, here are just three. That's it.

3 Ways You Can Help Improve Our Community

Be Descriptive
When creating a new topic or posting in an existing topic, please be descriptive in the title and within your post. You are more likely to get responses, interaction and help foster discussion. When you create a new post, you'll see a pop-up with related topics. If you are posting about the same topic, please use the existing discussion to prevent duplicate posts.

Good title:
My iPhone 5 Won't Connect To WiFi

Poor titles:
Quick question
Need Help?
iPhone
ipad
Why won't my....

If you are posting a link, video or image, it is good form to include some type of background or opinion on the content being shared. When posting photos, it's best to upload them directly to our site. Using third-party photo sharing sites can over time result in images that get lost or broken. It creates a disjointed user experience when images go missing.

Give Us Your Best
Members are the lifeblood of any forum and we love when people take part at eiC. Improving the quality of content benefits everyone. Where possible, we'd greatly appreciate members doing their best to add value to discussions, while being mindful of how their contributions will read. While shorthand is popular and well accepted for SMS, it does not read well in a public forum. Help us out by lifting the quality of content. It goes without saying, but foul langauge is not part of raising the bar.

Good: It will likely be anodized aluminum that's been dyed, so scratches could show some silver underneath. However, silver under black stands out a lot more than silver under champagne. The colors are similar enough that I don't think it would be very noticeable.

Poor: ?No 4 alunimum too easy scratchHelpppppppppp!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2013/08/11/report-apple-iphone-september/2640021/

Be Friendly
Whether you are new here or have been kicking around since 2006, be nice. Be friendly to others. It's perfectly fine to have disagreements, but argue your position. If you do disagree with a member, don't make it a personal attack. I know many Android users that I call friends. ( ;

Above all, don't attack moderators for doing their job. I set the rules, all they do is get grief for helping me. This one is easy. If they say you're out of line, get back in line. My mother always says, "Don't make mountains out of molehills." In most cases, we're just giving you a 'heads up' on the policies. If you feel you've in some way been treated unjustly, I'm very approachable. I want folks here to get along.

Good:
I think your point about Android having apps that are on par with iOS is incorrect. If you look at Twitter for Android, the launch speed alone is not as fast as on the iPhone.

Bad:
You don't know what you're talking about.
Google Search.
There have been a thousand threads about this topic, search.
Go back to the Android forums, you troll.

I'm going to leave this thread open for discussion. While I created the list, I'm certainly open to any and all suggestions on improving the community.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think that's a short, sweet, and useful set of guidelines. This place is already known for being one of the friendliest forums on the web. I think we can all raise our game a little in terms of quality of discussions.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
This would be an example of a poor thread title and post. I'm going to assume they are screaming for help. They may also be running around their house as they type, because otherwise this looks like a crazy person wrote it.
poortitle.jpg

Safe to say, this does not meet our quality guidelines.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
That post does have entertainment value. But what, exactly, was their problem/question?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That post does have entertainment value. But what, exactly, was their problem/question?
The App Store wasn't launched until 2.0. Prior to this, the only way you could get third party apps on the 2G iPhone was to jailbreak. He updated his software without realizing there wasn't a jailbreak for that version, so he needed directions for downgrading the firmware. He didn't need to unlock it, but he was still concerned about the remote possibility of bricking the phone (making it unusable) while downgrading. Some people think a panicked tone will get quicker replies.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I like this thread. Without opening it, I already have a clear idea of what to expect.

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 12.31.34 AM.png

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
The App Store wasn't launched until 2.0. Prior to this, the only way you could get third party apps on the 2G iPhone was to jailbreak. He updated his software without realizing there wasn't a jailbreak for that version, so he needed directions for downgrading the firmware. He didn't need to unlock it, but he was still concerned about the remote possibility of bricking the phone (making it unusable) while downgrading. Some people think a panicked tone will get quicker replies.
That's one of the best explanations ever. I didn't get my first iPhone until January of 2012. It was also my first smartphone. Thanks! It all falls in place now. My ignorance had me :confused:

K. Ill rly try to txt better here. gonna be tuf tho srsly. l8r. :ROFLMAO:

I think the first rule is perhaps the most challenging, and also the one that makes the biggest improvement. I don't create many threads but when I do my instinct is to be terse. I've actually gone back and looked at my previous titles and learned how I could have done much better.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
If this were my first experience at a forum, I probably wouldn't come back. You might as well say, "Hey dopey, you should learn how to search. But I'm so much smarter than you, so here are the results you seek."

search.jpg

The forum search police are always out in full force.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Okay, so maybe attention grabbing titles do work.

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 10.09.16 AM.png

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
If this were my first experience at a forum, I probably wouldn't come back. You might as well say, "Hey dopey, you should learn how to search. But I'm so much smarter than you, so here are the results you seek."

View attachment 36088

The forum search police are always out in full force.
f60752b4481e83013217fa3d82f616bd.jpg

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I understand the urge to tell members to do a Google search. I get the urge all the time. My first instinct when researching something is to go to Google. However, I understand that some people can't use Google properly to save their life, and we have plenty of members who are perfectly capable of answering questions. It's the help here (and Off Topic, of course :D) that keeps the forum alive and growing.

Google-Fu should be a class in high school. Here are my favorite techniques:
  • Use the Search Tools to limit the date-relevance of displayed results. Sometimes I'm really only interested in the latest information on a search topic and this is a perfect tool.
Capture.PNG

• Add the Personal Blocklist to your extensions. It allows you to permanently block sites that regularly show up but don't provide relevant information, such as ask.com and others that are simply referral search sites. Note that in the first image above, each result has a "Block ...." below the result.
Capture2.PNG

Simply using these two techniques will make your searches more relevant and your searches more productive.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Google-Fu should be a class in high school. Here are my favorite techniques:
  • Use the Search Tools to limit the date-relevance of displayed results. Sometimes I'm really only interested in the latest information on a search topic and this is a perfect tool.
View attachment 36331

• Add the Personal Blocklist to your extensions. It allows you to permanently block sites that regularly show up but don't provide relevant information, such as ask.com and others that are simply referral search sites. Note that in the first image above, each result has a "Block ...." below the result.
View attachment 36332

Simply using these two techniques will make your searches more relevant and your searches more productive.
The "block" part doesn't show in Safari on iPhone.