Guns

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I looked Cor-bon up, looks good. Anyone have any suggestions for ammo at the range? I usually just get whatever was on hand, but if I can find a lead-free practice round cheap I would be very happy.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I use Winchester 165gr. FMJ for the range. Affordable and consistent.

Actually, the shotgun is often suggested as a better alternative to a handgun in homes with children or other occupants because shot won't penetrate walls and hit loved ones in other rooms. I agree with stutter that a shotgun is a great choice.

Hawk, if you are purchasing your handgun for personal protection, do not overlook single-shot stopping and knock-down power. Do some research and read more than one or two articles on the Hatcher Scale of Cartridge Effectiveness. Also check out Jeff Cooper's comments on this issue. I chose to standardize on the .45 caliber for all of my handguns including my wife's Glock and Combat Commander as well as my HK (I love that gun). That being said, i also have a much less effective 9mm handgun, but it has a 100 round magazine (it's a Calico) LIBERTY%203..jpg .

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Rick, well said. If one is not going to practice at the range regularly your proficiency / accuracy declines markedly that is why most people should have a shot gun for home protection. If a home intruder has ever heard the sound of a shot gun breach being broken open or the sound of a round being raked into the chamber of a heavy caliber hand gun they will usually leave rapidly unless they are on drugs and then all bets are off. We don't have kids at home so we do keep our pieces loaded and ready for action. The National Rifleman, the monthly magazine of the National Rile Association has a piece, I believe entitled the Armed Citizen that has very short descriptions of the every day citizen successfuly protecting themselves, their families or their property which the 'lame stream' media would never print. :eek:k:eek:k

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
Im a little late to the party here but I carry either the Glock 30 (45) or the glock 27 (40). Both are not too heavy and shoot great in my opinon. I leaned towards the 9 as the ammo made today, even a 9mm can do damage and eventually end someones day

Where are the women in this thread? :dft008:surprised

Since we're talking firearms and personal protection, here is a link for the ladies. Actually, there is good information for the men as well. Paxton Quigley offers some great tips and doesn't focus solely on the gun aspect of protection for women. My wife Sandi gives copies of Paxton's book "Armed and Female" to any female friend that expresses and interest in protection or a concern about becoming a victim. It's a small, easy read and at just over $3 I think it is a worthwhile read for all women, whether they are considering gun ownership or not. She has several other books available that you may also find interesting, including "Not an Easy Target" and her latest "Stayin' Alive".

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
You lot are so lucky.

I'd love to have a personal weapon, but unfortunately I have to constantly hand mine back into an Armoury after duty.

I remember seeing something which made my jaw drop, it was an American bank. Apparently, if you opened up a bank account, they'd give you a rifle of some description. In England, you get a lollipop and extra bank charges.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
You lot are so lucky.

I'd love to have a personal weapon, but unfortunately I have to constantly hand mine back into an Armoury after duty.

I remember seeing something which made my jaw drop, it was an American bank. Apparently, if you opened up a bank account, they'd give you a rifle of some description. In England, you get a lollipop and extra bank charges.
That must be in Texas, cause I don't know of any bank in Georgia that would do that. A free toaster back in the day, but now it's just a handshake and that's it.

Abominogg

Bronze
Oct 19, 2008
Actually, the shotgun is often suggested as a better alternative to a handgun in homes with children or other occupants because shot won't penetrate walls and hit loved ones in other rooms. I agree with stutter that a shotgun is a great choice.
What about using Glazer (spelling?) Safety Slugs. The round itself, I believe, is small shot encased in liquid teflon. The rounds will do great damage, but will not penetrate walls and other hard objects.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I remember seeing that ad in the American Rifleman several years ago. I believe it was a bank in Idaho or Wyoming but I could be wrong. If you opened an account for a minimum amount, I think it was for $1,000 US and kept in on deposit for a specified period of time you received a very nice rifle, 30-06 I believe. The land of the brave and the home of the free. :eek:k:eek:k

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Whoohoo! I ordered my pistol yesterday! should be here Thursday or Friday. I'll post Pics as soon as I can.
H&K P30 .40 S&W with dec0cker and safety, 2 -13rnd magazines, 3 sets of sizing panels and backstraps.

(here is a pic from H&K's site)

lg_P30_5..jpg

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Whoohoo! I ordered my pistol yesterday! should be here Thursday or Friday. I'll post Pics as soon as I can.
H&K P30 .40 S&W with dec0cker and safety, 2 -13rnd magazines, 3 sets of sizing panels and backstraps.

(here is a pic from H&K's site)

View attachment 7066
Congrats on the new 'piece'

I hope you never have to use it in anger, seriously.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Never in anger, only in self defense of my life or the lives of my loved ones.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Niece piece, H&K makes a great firearm. The people's republic of CA will not let us buy magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I have family in Texas so that isn't a problem. Although if you need more than 10 then you may be in situation you should not have allowed yourself to get in.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Thanks Upload. I'll no doubt spend a few hours dry firing before I put any ammo through it. I want to feel comfortable with it and all it's components first, before taking it to the range.

2 days before I pick it up!

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Don't dry fire it. Snap caps are not expensive, so pick up a couple and use those.