Guns

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
For personal protection, I would carry Corbon.

They are more expensive than the rounds you are using now most likely, but you need the reliability for personal protection. The first image shows them opened up. The action of them opening up drastically decreases velocity, and increases the surface area of the round causing drag and helps create the stopping power you need. This action limits the travel through the target, but if the round is shot at close range the bullet might leave the target at a drastically lower velocity. Some people are going with DRT rounds, but some test have shown that they perform similarly to jacketed ammo in personal protection situations. Study terminal ballistics as they are important in selecting the right round for personal protection.

MyRichLife

Zealot
Gold
Nov 19, 2009
South Florida.
Rich, he's messing with you because you said PAST instead of path, as in Back to the Future III, Marty went into the PAST to the year 1885.
We all knew what you meant. And yes I use hollow points as well. They are no longer illegal because they have better stopping power, and they do not really ricochet like Full metal jacket rounds do. That being said, at 10 feet, a .40 will go through the person and generally the object behind them before it stops. This can cause problems if I had to shoot someone and ended up killing my next door neighbor because the round didn't stop after hitting my target or the wall behind them. Hollow points can keep going a lot further than you think. The only round made to stop after hitting the target, especially in close quarters is the Blazer rounds. or is it Glazer....?
I know I was only saying so no one could start complaining in what I believe in that's all. I agree with you I like using Hollow Points as my personal carrying bullet same with my father, since my dad's former retired military he knows what to buy for himself and for myself. I shot a blazer bullet for target practice with a couple of other shooters they claim they suck as for a bullet of choice. I know it all depends on the person and they're bullet preference, as for me I would go for something that will actually do the trick!

My cousin carried the Glock .45 compact size before he was killed in the of duty while stopping a speeder on the side of the road, he always told me it came down to personal preference and what the bullet and the handgun in hand match up together.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
MyRichLife said:
I know I was only saying so no one could start complaining in what I believe in that's all. I agree with you I like using Hollow Points as my personal carrying bullet same with my father, since my dad's former retired military he knows what to buy for himself and for myself. I shot a blazer bullet for target practice with a couple of other shooters they claim they suck as for a bullet of choice. I know it all depends on the person and they're bullet preference, as for me I would go for something that will actually do the trick!

My cousin carried the Glock .45 compact size before he was killed in the of duty while stopping a speeder on the side of the road, he always told me it came down to personal preference and what the bullet and the handgun in hand match up together.
A round well placed will do the job regardless of the caliber. You must practice, practice, practice to stay proficient with a hand gun. As has been said before a pump 12 gauge
Is the best in home protection.

'The most dangerous creature in the world is an angry woman with a 22 caliber hand gun, she will not kill you, only wound you so many times you wish you were dead.'

JoweBoombotz

Sep 4, 2008
I have a Sig P220 which is awsome! Then I have a smith and wesson 4506. I also have the 870 and mossberg 560 I think. I'll post some pictures later. Chicago need to get conceal carry. Next purchase might be the Sig P250 .40 cal or the H&K USP compact in .40.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Here is some thing you might enjoy upload. It's a CZ SP-01 shadow custom. It is built by czcustom shop and has all the internal work done buy angus hobdell. I sold a custom XDm9 that I put together for this. Let me know what y'all think. This is my new competition pistol

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
The Sig P series are a all GREAT guns...I carried one on duty for awhile. However, they are pretty heavy for what I consider for CCW. Personally, I carry a Glock 27 subcompact and alternate with a S&W M&P 340CT in .357...SUPER light little gun with a flame thrower at the end of it...lol. I CCW 100% of the time. Better to have it and not need it...

Anyways, whatever you ultimately decide, make sure its something that will conceal in a variety of spots (ankle, waist, small of back, pocket, cross draw, whatever) Don't dress around the gun...I did that for a long time and it sucked. Make the gun dress to you. Also, consider weight, ammo capacity, and what happens to the gun when it sits in your sweaty waistband all day. Make sure you have a good holster or at least a gun with a resistant finish...Sigs tend to lack a little in this area...IMHO.

I don't know squat about that H&K, so, sorry I can't help there. If you'd like any more info or tips on CCW, just message me.

Sassytallsista

Contributor
Bronze
May 22, 2010
Texas
hitnrun said:
The Sig P series are a all GREAT guns...I carried one on duty for awhile. However, they are pretty heavy for what I consider for CCW. Personally, I carry a Glock 27 subcompact and alternate with a S&W M&P 340CT in .357...SUPER light little gun with a flame thrower at the end of it...lol. I CCW 100% of the time. Better to have it and not need it...

Anyways, whatever you ultimately decide, make sure its something that will conceal in a variety of spots (ankle, waist, small of back, pocket, cross draw, whatever) Don't dress around the gun...I did that for a long time and it sucked. Make the gun dress to you. Also, consider weight, ammo capacity, and what happens to the gun when it sits in your sweaty waistband all day. Make sure you have a good holster or at least a gun with a resistant finish...Sigs tend to lack a little in this area...IMHO.

I don't know squat about that H&K, so, sorry I can't help there. If you'd like any more info or tips on CCW, just message me.

Is the Glock heavy?

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
The ammo for the glock is heavier than the gun itself I think. The polymer frame really cuts down on weight and metal slide is only a few inches long, so it is negligible in my opinion. For me, it is a great balance of weight, firepower, and ammo quantity. Whereas the S&W I have is SUPER weight, like 14 ounces WITH ammo, but when you shoot it, its like a mini cannon going off in a 1 7/8" barrel. It's intense! Super light and concealable, but not well balanced IMO. The glock 27 is sprisingly good IWB gun too.

Sassytallsista

Contributor
Bronze
May 22, 2010
Texas
hitnrun said:
The ammo for the glock is heavier than the gun itself I think. The polymer frame really cuts down on weight and metal slide is only a few inches long, so it is negligible in my opinion. For me, it is a great balance of weight, firepower, and ammo quantity. Whereas the S&W I have is SUPER weight, like 14 ounces WITH ammo, but when you shoot it, its like a mini cannon going off in a 1 7/8" barrel. It's intense! Super light and concealable, but not well balanced IMO. The glock 27 is sprisingly good IWB gun too.

I think i will check it out next week at the range..... I need something i can put in my purse thanks!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
No matter what anyone tells you, shoot with what you are most comfortable with.

TechnoPhobicGurl

Bronze
Jun 23, 2008
My husband is a police officer and has an issued Glock 21 which he doesn't care for much. His back up and off duty weapon (they are required to carry a gun off duty) is a Kimber ultra carry II, which he loves. It's pricey, but he's never had a jam or any messup with it really and he's had jams through the glock. They are both .45, so no real complaints on that since he prefers that caliber.

Personally I don't like guns, they are fine for protection and all, but I still don't enjoy being around one. We do have a Remington 870 for strictly home defense

TechnoPhobicGurl

Bronze
Jun 23, 2008
Sassytallsista said:
I think i will check it out next week at the range..... I need something i can put in my purse thanks!
My husband is pushing for me to get a purse gun lol. The only one I'm comfortable with is a ruger lcp .380. It's small enough to conceal, feels good in my hand and is still reliable

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
As Hawk says "No matter what anyone tells you, shoot with what you are most comfortable with." but add don't miss unless it's ICanHasiPhone's Remington 870 of course then the sound alone of racking a shell should frighten them off. If not repairing the woodwork and dry wall would be a bear. lol :)

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
Very nice. What type of competition?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
I will be using this as my USPSA production pistol. I am just trying to get back into it. I put about 250 rounds through the Shadow today and im really impressed. The trigger is pretty much amazing. Here are some new pics and my grip mod I completed last night using 3M Safety Walk Outdoor Tread for Home Depot.

IMG_0088.jpg

EDIT: how do I upload larger pictures from the iPhone 4? I hate the small pics.
IMG_0086.jpg

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
On another note this is what I carry daily. It is a Springfield Armory V-10 Ultra Compact .45 in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

It is resting on my Unibody Macbook lol