Guns

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
The grips started out as aluminum and had a small input of grip tape. I was going to try and work around it but it was too difficult so I just stuck a whole piece over the grips and then trimmed it off with scissors. When people see it they say it looks to rough that it would hurt your hand. It doesn't at all. When you pick it up it's solid in your hand and recoil doesn't move your grip. I will try and take some larger pics if I can figure it out.

{StatuSChecKa}

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2010
NorCal
Finally a thread with some testosterone on this board. To bad I'm 5 months too late.

Sir, i'm not very big on semi's with external hammers, but that is slick. Nice and tight considering its a 45 Cal. I keep a sub-compact Taurus 24/7 Milli. Its a .40.
Springfield Armory V-10 Ultra Compact .45 in a Crossbreed Supertuck.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Here is a close up. Still don't know how to get big pics.

I know you said these grips were comfortable but they sure don't look it.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Here is a close up. Still don't know how to get big pics.

I know you said these grips were comfortable but they sure don't look it.
GLSDA, looks like an attachment fail. Try posting them again.

jb829904

Contributor
Silver
Jun 24, 2010
MO
Sorry to bust up in your handgun thread's grill, but I have a question. I need a purse gun.

Right now for home I use a .38 S&W revolver [blued J-frame with wooden grips] that is older than me and does an excellent job, but its a little heavy to tote in a handbag. I prefer revolvers just because they're comfortable and quite simple, but I'm not opposed to getting a lightweight semiauto, either. Currently I'm looking into an aluminum alloy frame revolver, like this .38 LadySmith with the internal hammer:

I think it weighs 15 oz emtpy vs the almost 21 oz of my blue one. If it was up to dad I'd carry a .357 on one hip and a .44 on the other, but I'd look a little ridiculous.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, I am not a fan of Glock, but they do make a nice subcompact, and it's available in different calibers.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Sorry to bust up in your handgun thread's grill, but I have a question. I need a purse gun.

Right now for home I use a .38 S&W revolver [blued J-frame with wooden grips] that is older than me and does an excellent job, but its a little heavy to tote in a handbag. I prefer revolvers just because they're comfortable and quite simple, but I'm not opposed to getting a lightweight semiauto, either. Currently I'm looking into an aluminum alloy frame revolver, like this .38 LadySmith with the internal hammer:

I think it weighs 15 oz emtpy vs the almost 21 oz of my blue one. If it was up to dad I'd carry a .357 on one hip and a .44 on the other, but I'd look a little ridiculous.

Any suggestions?

Your Dad is my kinda guy. The LadySmith will do the job. Remember pistols are primarily close range weapons , especially for the type of self defense you are talking about. The easier the piece is to get out of your purse, handbag or pocket without hanging up on something the better. In the situations I envision you using it you need to be able to access it easily, quickly, aim as well as you can at the center of mass and fire as many times as possible to stop the dirt bag. Hope this helps.

jb829904

Contributor
Silver
Jun 24, 2010
MO
glsda said:
Your Dad is my kinda guy.
Mine too! He is a recently-retired SWAT team sniper slash handgun fanatic, but not the creepy kind that always cleaned his guns when I brought a new boyfriend home [though in retrospect, that would have probably been an excellent idea].

I've heard that carrying in a purse is a silly idea anyway incase it got stolen and you were left defenseless, but I don't love the idea of carrying one on my person. I did get a look at a Ruger LCP 380 that supposedly weighs under ten ounces and has the hidden hammer to prevent snagging. I like the idea of it holding seven bullets [one racked in the chamber] and having extra magazines if needed, though I highly doubt I'll be going Rambo on anyone soon. Besides, if seven bullets doesn't do the trick, you either have no businesss carrying a pistol or need to invest in a good pair of running shoes. I really quite liked the gun though; check it out and see what you think!

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Wow, either of the pieces you mention would be a nice bag weapon, and the Airweight has that great pink thing going for it. I'm a semi-auto guy myself, but that Smith looks nice. Your dad sounds like a good final reviewer for your decision. ;)

Rick is right on the money. You sound like you have a good knowledge of firearms and a level head on your shoulders. I would defer to you dad.

Last edited by a moderator:

jb829904

Contributor
Silver
Jun 24, 2010
MO
Dad does a good job, but like I said, he always suggests absolutely giant peashooters. Thanks for the advice...at least I'm narrowing!

Jagged Toaster

Jun 23, 2010
Defiantly go with smith. I would not go with the .357 in the Lady Smith, to lite of a gun and to powerful of a round, not a nice combination. Also, the fact that the smith has an internal hammer gives you the advantage of firing it repeatedly while it is still in your purse IF the situation requires you to do so. Let me say here that I would not suggest doing this unless you are very familiar with firearms, which it sounds like you are.

P.S.- I agree with your dad, with the exception of the lite weight guns, go with a .357. You can always shoot .38's in the .357, but you can't shoot .357's in the .38.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

jb829904

Contributor
Silver
Jun 24, 2010
MO
A snub-nose K frame .357 packs enough punch that I don't want any part of a J-frame one! Unless I shot .38's in it, but then why not just get the .38 to begin with?

jltjr

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
I like my Colt mustang pocket lite 380. It's compact aluminum body and stainless slide make it super light weight. 7 in the clip and 1 up! Not a whole lot of bang,but a good belly gun none the less.Great little carry piece.

I bought it over 15 years ago! I hear they are hard to come by these days and are worth double what I bought it for new! Keeping that little guy for sure!