Guys im at the Apple store - dead pixel

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
they told me they will work on it and fix it with some kind a process, what are they talking about? i though they will replace my iPhone 3g, let me know till i will be here

Thanks guys

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
iPhone replacement is much rarer than it was just last year. There was no verification process before. Now they have a number of diagnostic tools and stuff to use on the phone that can repair the minor stuff. I believe they can also do some of the more "intense" work in house now too.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I suffered pixel problems. They replaced my iPhone on the spot. They said it was unacceptable on such a small sized screen which gave me the right to a replacement.

That was a year ago. Times change...

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
Guys just to keep you updated, looks like Apple changed rules, they replace the screen for me on the spot, took 10 min, gave me new screen

jareknyc

Silver
Aug 27, 2007
NYC
No they actually showed me the old screen in the plastic bag ready to be shipped to Apple which is cool he also asked me to test speaker because they had to remove it prior to screen replacement

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I believe that this is going to be the norm from now on, and it's going to become even more involved in the near future.
The first 2 years of the iPhone, they weren't prepared for the amount of returns and exchanges that came in, and I am sure that once they got at least half of those back to the factory, they probably tested fine. The cost involved was probably staggering too.
So expect by the end of the year that at every Apple store, there is someone there that can perform light to medium complexity type repairs, and that the "walk in and exchange" policy days will be over.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
AWESOME! I thought things were a little different. When I went into the Apple Store for a battery problem they ran a diagnostic and told me that there was no problem and it had to have been an App that was causing the problems. I eventually found out it was the amount of web pages i had open. They were running in the backgorund and they were refreshing every 30 seconds and eating my battery power away.

But I noticed the diagnostic on the computer screen. It looked cool and there was nothing wrong with my phone. That same day I turned in a stress cracked 3G which was under warranty for a new one and the Genius used a tool to check the inside of it through the headphone jack to make sure there was no water damage. I had never seen that before. So yes, there are a lot of changes this time around. It's cool. I think I like this new way of doing things @ Apple.

Also, when I made the appointment with a Tech over the phone they told me that there were no referbs or "Service Stock" available so the Genius at the store will run a diagnostic and determine if the battery has to be changed. If so they may be able to do it at the strore. When I heard that I didn't think anything of it. I figured he was just saying that and I would end up getting a swap out but he was right and I didn't need a Swap actually.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
Do you get somthing saying that the genius swapped the screen because doesn't it void the warranty if you open the phone

Imagine taking it back for another problem and them saying that the warranty has been void because the phone has been opened. LOL

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Do you get somthing saying that the genius swapped the screen because doesn't it void the warranty if you open the phone

Imagine taking it back for another problem and them saying that the warranty has been void because the phone has been opened. LOL
That would definitely suck, but I am sure that as soon as the input the serial number or plug it in, the system identifies the phone and lists what service- if any- has been performed on the phone.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I noticed a dead pixel way too late on my 3G. It's off center but somewhat irritating that I know it's there. Invisible to others who look at movies it on it, though. No biggie. I'll be getting a new iPhone next year and this one will be my car stereo, basically.

jerni

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
GA
www.instagram.com
I didn't want to start a new thread. What I need to know is has anyone used any of the pixel apps that are in Cydia? I've installed Bad Pixel and Pixel Checker. They both do basically the same thing, (which is induce seizures) by flashing the different colors. How are these apps supposed to work? I don't have Apple care what are the chances of getting a replacement?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
IF you are within your normal warranty, restore to stock and take it to an Apple store. If you are out of warranty... You'll probably need to located a place to handle the work