Guys who sell their phones on eBay

Justin

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
I'm trying to sell my 8GB first gen iPhone but I'm really weary to put it on ebay.

I've heard that ebay is requiring you to wait until you get a positive feedback in order to release your funds if you use paypal... that sounds like a perfect setup for a scam right there.

What are those of you who have sold your phones on ebay doing about it?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm trying to sell my 8GB first gen iPhone but I'm really weary to put it on ebay.

I've heard that ebay is requiring you to wait until you get a positive feedback in order to release your funds if you use paypal... that sounds like a perfect setup for a scam right there.

Justin,
Check this out, it may be an alternative to selling on eBay. http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/patterson/26206

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would also recommend trying Craigslist if you have never sold anything on eBay before. Try finding a local buyer that way you can meet the buyer in person and get cash on the spot, not wait for PayPal to release the funds.

kneshoba

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Sold mine on craigslist for 300 met, will smooth transaction and no paypal or ebay fees

madaca

Mar 2, 2008
I sold mine on ebay within 5 minutes of posting it. Sold for $350.00 even. I then sold my wife's iPhone 20 minutes after and since I sold two and it was over $500.00 my money was held by paypal until I received positive feedback. I had all my money after about a week to a week and a half. Did not expect that to happen but anything over 500 and paypal does put a red flag on it. I suggest shipping it right away and insure it so you have no worries about a scam. As long as the buyer uses paypal to purchase your iPhone then you will be ok. Paypal will cover the cost even if it is a scam. This is why they are cautious about everyone selling so many iPhones on ebay. In a way I can understand why they put a red flag on it. Good luck and I would not take anything less than $350.00 if it is in good condition. Mine 8gigs sold so easy and I have a feeling I could of got more.

gotzaiPhone

Zealot
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
Mine sold for 400 on ebay and i was able to transfer funds right away, I'm guessing that since it was under 500, like madaca said, that i was able to do it. I did however have to wait that 2 to 3 businesss days to get the transfer over to my bank.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
Mine ALSO sold for 400 on ebay. I was able to transfer funds right away but waited the typical 3days to see the money hit my account.

Hookem99

Bronze
Feb 12, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Listed them for 325.00 ea and have an offer for 600.00 for both.....that was quick!
This may be a dumb question, but when I get new iPhones, how do I make sure ALL of my info transfers. I assume that syching will do the trick, but I do not want my wife to freak out if something is missing on her phone!

Just trying to cover my basis! Thanks!

Jul 23, 2007
This may be a dumb question, but when I get new iPhones, how do I make sure ALL of my info transfers. I assume that syching will do the trick, but I do not want my wife to freak out if something is missing on her phone!

Just trying to cover my basis! Thanks!
What you have to do is pretty much backup your iPhone to your computer completely (it will do it automatically through iTunes, if I remember correctly). Then, when you get the new phone you just restore it, and it should be fine. All my text messages, e-mails, etc. were there. The only thing you may have to resync is your music and videos.

I sold my V1 to a guy for $250 and just picked up the new one last week. Not bad, and I didn't want to overcharge anyone, so it all worked out.

Just correct me if I'm wrong guys !

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

Sold mine for $319, no problem with funds being released. I don't know what you're talking about.

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
What you have to do is pretty much backup your iPhone to your computer completely (it will do it automatically through iTunes, if I remember correctly). Then, when you get the new phone you just restore it, and it should be fine. All my text messages, e-mails, etc. were there. The only thing you may have to resync is your music and videos.

I sold my V1 to a guy for $250 and just picked up the new one last week. Not bad, and I didn't want to overcharge anyone, so it all worked out.

Just correct me if I'm wrong guys !
When I did mine, I plugged it into iTunes and iTunes pretty much did a complete restore on the new phone. A good clean back up is a good idea.

rmfnla

Bronze
I sold mine on ebay within 5 minutes of posting it. Sold for $350.00 even. I then sold my wife's iPhone 20 minutes after and since I sold two and it was over $500.00 my money was held by paypal until I received positive feedback. I had all my money after about a week to a week and a half. Did not expect that to happen but anything over 500 and paypal does put a red flag on it. I suggest shipping it right away and insure it so you have no worries about a scam. As long as the buyer uses paypal to purchase your iPhone then you will be ok. Paypal will cover the cost even if it is a scam. This is why they are cautious about everyone selling so many iPhones on ebay. In a way I can understand why they put a red flag on it. Good luck and I would not take anything less than $350.00 if it is in good condition. Mine 8gigs sold so easy and I have a feeling I could of got more.
You probably could have; I got $470 (+ shipping!) for my 8 GB. It was in perfect condition and I had the box and all the goodies, but that was more than I paid for it new!

I used the balance to buy airlines tickets so there was no hold.

icecreamman2

Bronze
Jul 23, 2008
san francisco/vancouver
i sold my 3G on ebay. for allot aswell. i just sent a message to the person that won the auction to send the money to... worked fine for me...