GV Mobile (Google Voice App)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008

I can't wait until google voice gets released although I don't actually need it. Eventually I will but this is a great feature for anyone who has a businesss and needs to screen calls. I was trying to explain it to my dad since he has several businessses but he got confused...:eek:

Google Voice isn't even ready for the public so I don't know when the app will be released.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Thank you for posting this! I've been looking for a replacement app for Grand Dialer, which used to work like this with GrandCentral before Google changed it to Google Voice. Woo hoo!

ant7701

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
I use vlingo.....works great!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, I'm a huge Google head and I still have trouble seeing the application of this service for how I use my phione. So someone boil this down for me: why should I route all my calls and texts through GV Mobile?

ant7701

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
LOL...sorry. Thought it was the google mobile app

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Ok, I'm a huge Google head and I still have trouble seeing the application of this service for how I use my phione. So someone boil this down for me: why should I route all my calls and texts through GV Mobile?
Google Voice is great for people who have many phones (home, work, work cell, personal cell) or for people who are paranoid (like me). You can give out a single phone number that will ring all of your phones at the same time, making it easier for people to reach you. If you don't want to give out any of your personal numbers to strangers, like me, I give out my Google Voice number, which allows me to screen calls or even permanently block calls from specific numbers if I want (which AT&T won't do).

The neat thing about this upcoming app is that it will allow me to make calls from my Google Voice number, so whoever I'm calling will see that number as the caller ID, not my cell phone, when I call them. It's a better alternative for me compared to using *67 to block my caller ID before making a call.

Your Google Voice number can also accept text messages. And there's a neat feature that allows you to switch active calls to a different number. Say you answer a call on your home phone but need to leave the house - you can transfer the call to your cell phone and carry on the conversation without needing to end the call.

I use my Google Voice for everything except family, close friends, and important services (my doctor's office, etc.). I'm sure Google will start charging for it and I'm ready to pay a reasonable amount to keep the service.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I haven't touched my Grand Central account in a couple months, but I can set this up so that I can forward my Cell to my GV account, and have it ring at work, but use the GV voicemail and info to track my personal calls.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Thanks, MG... now I know for certain this is a service I do not need nor do I ever hope to. :D

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
This is great news! I use my GrandCentral account & this will make it much easier to admin. I love the call screening & ability to record the conversations.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Thanks, MG... now I know for certain this is a service I do not need nor do I ever hope to. :D
Believe it or not Dave, one you have played around with it for a bit, you will definitely find uses for it. Most probably won't be recognized till you find all that a feature is capable of, and then you'll be like me, and realized that there are aspects of this that would make certain things easier.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Google Voice is great for people who have many phones (home, work, work cell, personal cell) or for people who are paranoid (like me). You can give out a single phone number that will ring all of your phones at the same time, making it easier for people to reach you. If you don't want to give out any of your personal numbers to strangers, like me, I give out my Google Voice number, which allows me to screen calls or even permanently block calls from specific numbers if I want (which AT&T won't do).

The neat thing about this upcoming app is that it will allow me to make calls from my Google Voice number, so whoever I'm calling will see that number as the caller ID, not my cell phone, when I call them. It's a better alternative for me compared to using *67 to block my caller ID before making a call.

Your Google Voice number can also accept text messages. And there's a neat feature that allows you to switch active calls to a different number. Say you answer a call on your home phone but need to leave the house - you can transfer the call to your cell phone and carry on the conversation without needing to end the call.

I use my Google Voice for everything except family, close friends, and important services (my doctor's office, etc.). I'm sure Google will start charging for it and I'm ready to pay a reasonable amount to keep the service.
Sounds pretty cool! thanks for giving everyone a short description.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Believe it or not Dave, one you have played around with it for a bit, you will definitely find uses for it.

The thing with me is I so rarely use my phone for voice that it certainly would be overkill. Maybe if I find myself wanting to talk to people a bit more in the future I'll check it out. ;)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Thanks for the description macgirl (better than I could have done).
Secondly, do you really think google will charge for it? I can't think of any of their services they charge for although I could see this one being a small fee considering they give you a phone number and whatnot...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Thanks for the description macgirl (better than I could have done).
Secondly, do you really think google will charge for it? I can't think of any of their services they charge for although I could see this one being a small fee considering they give you a phone number and whatnot...
Well, they don't charge for domestic calls according to the current GV page (users page) but it does show a dollar credit towards international calling.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I love it! I went ahead & set it up & all my Google contacts were migrated automatically. I tested it out & left myself a voicemail. It sent an email notification with the transcription! YESSSS! No more having to call my voicemail anymore to see what the caller wanted. If you want to listen to the voicemail anyway, all you have to do is select "Play Message".

Here's a screenshot of the email for the voicemail notification...

Also, it looks like they redesigned the website just for the iPhone because I can now listen to the voicemail & the message is played through Quicktime. I think previously, if you accessed your account on the iPhone, it required Flash to listen to the message. I'm never giving out my cell phone number again.

Oct 5, 2008
Wow, this looks awesome. Cant wait until GV is open to the public. :)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yancy, how did you get an account?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yancy, how did you get an account?
If you were a GrandCentral user, then you are already signed up. Google bought GrandCentral a while back. There are a number of us that were able to get accounts, and then things got quiet for a while.
This is definitely looking a lot like the the iPhone setup, but completely mobile and with a few more useful features.
I really like the SMS portion too!