GV Mobile Google Voice ? Confused

jfagundo

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Hi All,

I have spent some time reading but have been confused on the different answers I have seen.

I am using the GV Mobile app and it works great, however, the question is; If i use this app to make/receive calls, does it still use up my ATT mobile minutes? I have read multiple answers to this such as it uses Voip and data. I would think it does use minutes cause it is still using airtime, but does anyone have a more positive answer?

Trying to figure out if I should even bother with the app on the iPhone or the service.

Thx :eek:k:eek:k

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I also have the GV Mobile app and it does use your minutes. As you pointed out, it is using airtime for any calls received or made. The difference is just that the call is "through" your GV number so that the caller ID reflects that number instead of your cell phone's number.

I use it to avoid sharing my cell phone number (which is private and intended only for friends and family members) with others and businesss acquaintances. It's also on my businesss cards since those can go to perfect strangers at times. It's not something I use all the time, but I definitely like it, especially now that it offers free text messaging.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I just spoof a phone number if I don't want someone to see my real number.

dlmart2

Aug 3, 2007
hint: Use AT&T's "a-list" and add your GV number to it.. that way ALL your GV calls (incoming and outgoing) will be FREE (not used against your minutes) :)

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
"a-list"? Wanna explain that more? Thanks. I'd like to do it if I knew wtf it was.

EDIT: aww damn. I'm on a family plan with 550 minutes, so we don't qualify. >:O!

kapolani

Bronze
Oct 2, 2009
Maryland
hint: Use AT&T's "a-list" and add your GV number to it.. that way ALL your GV calls (incoming and outgoing) will be FREE (not used against your minutes) :)

You might want to add that you _have_ to setup Google Voice to use your GV number to display.

That way A-List will know what number is calling in.

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
One question, when you all say "Call your google voice number", what do you mean? Do you mean have google voice call you, like using the website? Or do you really mean call my own google voice number? I've never had to do that, I've always put in a number for google and it called me.

DocRawk

Bronze
Jun 11, 2009
Is anyone planning on updating the app anytime soon? It'd be nice to be able to use my contacts list within the app.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Is anyone planning on updating the app anytime soon? It'd be nice to be able to use my contacts list within the app.
I'm assuming you are jailbroken because if not, it was pulled from the appstore.

DocRawk

Bronze
Jun 11, 2009
Of course I'm jailbroken. I don't personally know much at all about programming, but it seems like it'd be pretty simple to modify the existing code to add basic features like contacts. As it is, it's about as useful as an old fashioned wall phone hooked up to an answering machine that just happens to transcribe your messages. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee for an app that would increase the functionality of GV to that of the standard phone app. I really like the idea of using the GV number for businessses and people that you don't want to have your mobile number.

altjx

Bronze
Oct 21, 2009
www.altonjsupport.net
Of course I'm jailbroken. I don't personally know much at all about programming, but it seems like it'd be pretty simple to modify the existing code to add basic features like contacts. As it is, it's about as useful as an old fashioned wall phone hooked up to an answering machine that just happens to transcribe your messages. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee for an app that would increase the functionality of GV to that of the standard phone app. I really like the idea of using the GV number for businessses and people that you don't want to have your mobile number.
i agree, i wish they updated this app more. there's a lot of bugs, im surprised this doesn't even get much attention

Aug 28, 2009
Umm...when you have the "keypad" pulled up on GV mobile touching the bottom left button takes you to your contacts. Is there a different functionality with contacts you are looking for?