Hack allows contract-free iPhone 3G S orders from Apple

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
On EiC home page here:

With recent reports that AT&T has sold out of iPhone 3G S pre-orders already, those who want to get an iPhone on the June 19 release day without standing in line must now turn to Apple’s online store. At release, the iPhone 3G S will be available only with a 2-year contract with AT&T in the U.S., though a method has turned up allowing buyers to pre-order an iPhone 3G S from Apple’s online store without a 2-year contract commitment with AT&T.

The method, described step-by-step at modmyi.com, requires the Firefox web browser and an extension called Fireplug. It requires navigating to a non-Apple item in Apple’s online store and then using the Fireplug extension to examine and edit the page’s code to substitute an iPhone 3G S model number for the current product’s model number. When Add to Cart is clicked after this modification, a contract-free iPhone 3G S is added to the cart, which can then be purchased normally like any other product in Apple’s online store.

The model numbers and prices for the contract-free iPhone 3G S models are as follows:

* MB715LL/A for the black 16GB at $599
* MB716LL/A for the white 16GB at $599
* MB717LL/A for the black 32GB at $699
* MB718LL/A for the white 32GB at $699

Anecdotal claims show this method is working so far, but it’s possible that Apple may find this loophole and fix it to prevent further orders. Apple could also go so far as to cancel orders placed using this loophole. AT&T has been the exclusive carrier of the iPhone since the first generation was released in June 2007. The iPhone 3G was only available contract-free from AT&T several months after it was first released, carrying prices at hundreds of dollars more than devices sold with a 2-year contract. This hack reveals a unique opportunity to purchase the new iPhone model without a contract right away, which was not possible with previous iPhone models at release in the U.S.

Last edited by a moderator:

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Considering that's the full unsubsidized price, I don't see why AT&T or Apple would mind.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
This smacks of fraud to me, calling it a hack, notwithstanding. And who's going to walk into an Apple store to take delivery of such an order, knowing they know what you did?

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Modifying code to pay less? Sounds like jailtime for somebody. I remember my first time trying to modify code...I was VAC banned.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
LOL. I modified a web page order form and printed it up so a competing store would give me an unreal deal on a TV. This was a few years ago before the big names let their employees have access to internet shopping to verify prices at other stores.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
This smacks of fraud to me, calling it a hack, notwithstanding. And who's going to walk into an Apple store to take delivery of such an order, knowing they know what you did?
you can have it delivered to your house.

still, ballsy.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Macgirl, have you done this, as I know you bought your 3g from NZ?

I think if people are caught doing this, then there will be some serious cautions handed out!

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Just to be clear, no one's getting a cheaper price here. You're simply enabling to purchase a contract free iPhone from Apple for same price that you can do the same thing on AT&T, had they any iPhones left.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Just to be clear, no one's getting a cheaper price here. You're simply enabling to purchase a contract free iPhone from Apple for same price that you can do the same thing on AT&T, had they any iPhones left.
There doesn't appear to be any significant advantage to ordering this unsubsidized phone from Apple vs AT&T --- other than the fact that AT&T is sold out.

Same price. Same product. Apple reps are aware of this issue and perhaps they should close the loophole. Makes you wonder, why haven't they?