Had a dumb idea to get free text messaging

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

darknightsiphone

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Philly
With the beejive style of software if someone devolped a yahoo messenger applicable to the iPhone and yahoo messenger has free txt messaging would that circumvent the 200 sms thingy. lol i'm just bored

My first thread

cr0mag

Jul 21, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Either Yahoo msgr or the rumored update...

With the beejive style of software if someone devolped a yahoo messenger applicable to the iPhone and yahoo messenger has free txt messaging would that circumvent the 200 sms thingy. lol i'm just bored

1st thead
That is something I'm watching out for... I've read posts all over the net that there is a rumored s/w update that will include iChat for the iPhone.
I think everyone agrees that 200 sms messages a month without extra charges is lame.

I'm sure that it's only a matter of time till we have some sort of chat that will work, but I don't know if it will interact with sms. In other words, you will probably be able to chat with other computers or iPhones, but not cell users on sms.

Hopefully I'm wrong about that last part...:cool:

oppie1

Jul 12, 2007

1st thead
save that for Pot Talk Monday, then come friday i can celebrate Point and Laugh Friday at your wacky idea :)

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
I use txtDrop.net
Specially for international SMS
since ATT charge $.20 / international SMS total ripp off

Jul 15, 2007
I use txtDrop.net
Specially for international SMS
since ATT charge $.20 / international SMS total ripp off
hey would you mind explaining this trick about cheap international texting? i have folks all over and i bleed through my nose for text messages. much appreciated ...

el31415

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
hey would you mind explaining this trick about cheap international texting? i have folks all over and i bleed through my nose for text messages. much appreciated ...
Just go to txtdrop.net
and text from there it's free
the only annoyance is that you need to know you receiver carrier name
you need to choose from the drop down menu

Soulquarian

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
That is something I'm watching out for... I've read posts all over the net that there is a rumored s/w update that will include iChat for the iPhone.
I think everyone agrees that 200 sms messages a month without extra charges is lame.
I don't know why people complain about this. For just $20 a month, you get unlimited internet and email among other things PLUS 200 text messages.

Do you realize that if you bought any other PDA/Smartphone, you'd be paying $40 a month for JUST unlimited Internet? I used to have a blackberry, and unlimited Internet and unlimited texting was well I over $60 a month!

Jul 2, 2007
I don't know why people complain about this. For just $20 a month, you get unlimited internet and email among other things PLUS 200 text messages.

Do you realize that if you bought any other PDA/Smartphone, you'd be paying $40 a month for JUST unlimited Internet? I used to have a blackberry, and unlimited Internet and unlimited texting was well I over $60 a month!
Sidekick has unlimited EVERYTHING for $20....

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
who compares a sidekick to an iPhone? Or even a blackberry?

That's like saying a Honda civic is better than a Ferrari because it gets better MPG :rolleyes:

And unlimited data for a sidekick is $29.99 btw

As a former Sidekick owner / user, gonna have to agree with this one. lol
The billing rate is correct at 29.99$, also.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
Just go to txtdrop.net
and text from there it's free
the only annoyance is that you need to know you receiver carrier name
you need to choose from the drop down menu
I use textdrop and its great but I haven't made any international Text as of yet, What do you mean by knowing the receiver carrier name? The only thing I put before was the 10 digit number, how can I put a 10 digit international number because I think there's more numbers that that?.?

Jul 15, 2007
I use textdrop and its great but I haven't made any international Text as of yet, What do you mean by knowing the receiver carrier name? The only thing I put before was the 10 digit number, how can I put a 10 digit international number because I think there's more numbers that that?.?
i ran into the same problem. couldn't send international txt on txtdrop. neat idea though. thanks.

about ichat on the iPhone - forget the money for a second. i am all for the cool factor - real time ichat as opposed to sending an SMS, waiting for the response.

hell - with wifi speeds, why not have video ichat? if anyone can do it well with a wow factor, its Apple.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego

I'm sure that it's only a matter of time till we have some sort of chat that will work, but I don't know if it will interact with sms. In other words, you will probably be able to chat with other computers or iPhones, but not cell users on sms.

Hopefully I'm wrong about that last part...:cool:
Well i already use msn messenger on my iPhone. Just go to mobile.live.com
I don't really care about chatting system but I am sure someone is gonna come up with some voip messaging text messaging system.