Had a scare

Angiebaby

Apr 11, 2009
I've only had my iPod touch a week today and this morning I was playing the app "bubblewrap" when my iPod froze up completely and made a very loud up and down static noise. I finally got it to unfreeze but the sound stayed the same and constant, volume controls completely unresponsive. After syncing the noise stopped but if I tried to play a song or otherwise do anything, the only sound played was the same static noise, only now volume controls work.

It works fine after completely powering it off, which I had no idea how to do unitl I went to ipod help. if anyone here doesn't know, hold down the sleep/wake button and slide red bar at top to power off.

PHEW! I'm so relieved. Is this a common issue? Has anyone else experienced this static noise? Anyone else have problems with the bubblewrap app? In the week I've had it, I've already made several notes and calendar entries that I don't want to lose.

Thanks.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
Not for me, no...

Glad you go it working again.

May 12, 2009
Wow, Ive never heard of this bug/glitch/error. Maby a Apple messup? I dunno, but im glad its working now. Also didn't it tell you how to turn it on/off on the manual that came with it (came with mine anyway)?

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Nope. Never had that issue with any application. I've used bubblewrap before, too.

If it happens again, leave it in the glitchy state, and take it straight to an Apple store. Tell them it's happened before, and they'll most likely swap it out for a new one. If the computer it's tied to is a laptop, take it with you so you can restore the new one from the backup before you leave.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
My iPod touch 1.x seemed to take longer starting up after upgrading to 3.0. Then, a few days ago, it took "forever" to power down. Worse, it refused to power up even after plugging it in to the charger or into my laptop. Finally, after about 30 minutes of playing with the on/off button and plugging and unplugging from power, it restarted. This weekend, preparing for a trip, I powered down with battery at full charge. After arriving at my destination, it again refuses to power up. I do wish it had a preset button but it doesn't. Has anyone else seen "bad effects" after doing the 3.0 upgrade?

advTHANKSance

Update: I returned home today and placed the dead iPod touch on its charger. Not 2 minutes later, I hear the "chirp" that usually signals that the device has AC power. The battery icon showed a sliver of red indicting a depleted battery that had been at full power when turned off. Curiously, using the same charger while away and for longer periods, accomplished nothing. I continue to be puzzled.