Had enough of the crApp store. I'm jailbreaking again.

Velodog2

Silver
Jul 19, 2007
My friend bought an iPhone a couple days ago and I was like Oh cool, what apps can I recommend for him? And I realized that there were damned close to zero that I thought were actually useful.

I was jailbroke w my V1 phone and very happy with it's general functionality. I've given the official apps a chance, but it's fallen completely flat with providing the things I want. They are a bunch of useless toys for the most part. Actually useful things, such as tethering apps, are deleted. Lol, they haven't even been able to get something as simple as update alerts working correctly. Pathetic. They should hire hackers - they had that working a year ago.

Anyways, looking forward to simple things like being able to have something besides a black background for my icons again.

VasiliosKN

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
NY - Miami
Yes, I was actually happier with my 3G phone when I jail-broke it. The AppStore really lacks in anything I really need. Its a shame! Video Recording is important for me so I will definitely jailbreak 2.1 when the software comes out. And I totally miss Mac-Man!

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I was waiting for a software update from Apple that was stable and hopefully 2.1 will be so I jailbroke mine last night. Glad I did too, I missed some of my previous customizations and apps that you can't get in the App Store.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
I was waiting for a software update from Apple that was stable and hopefully 2.1 will be so I jailbroke mine last night. Glad I did too, I missed some of my previous customizations and apps that you can't get in the App Store.
Can you please elaborate on those apps? I've finally to decided to jailbreak my iPhone when 2.1 WinPwn comes out.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Can you please elaborate on those apps? I've finally to decided to jailbreak my iPhone when 2.1 WinPwn comes out.
The one I originally used was Summerboard but that was before I used Pwnage. Since Pwnage, I installed Winterboard and a couple of themes along with Retro Phone Dialer, HPCalcs, and a couple of battery themes (I like Stewie Battery. I didn't do much with SSH or direct file transfers but I did like the ability that Winterboard gives to let your wallpaper show up on the Home screen.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Winterboard has certainly allowed me to make my iPhone mine again. I love the customizability of my v1 and planned on remaining stock for the life of my 3G. I soon tired of the same icons that everyone else with an iPhone had so I decided to Jailbreak and I will remain that way until Apple starts allowing for full user customization, which I doubt is anytime soon.

Voltaic Shock

Bronze
Aug 15, 2008
Leesburg, VA
Winterboard has certainly allowed me to make my iPhone mine again. I love the customizability of my v1 and planned on remaining stock for the life of my 3G. I soon tired of the same icons that everyone else with an iPhone had so I decided to Jailbreak and I will remain that way until Apple starts allowing for full user customization, which I doubt is anytime soon.
This is one reason I want to jailbreak my phone. I miss that coming from a BB.

aj2008

Aug 11, 2008
Does jailbreaking compromise performance/stability in any way?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Does jailbreaking compromise performance/stability in any way?
There are certainly risks associated with Jailbreaking your phone. I have not experienced any true, pressing issues with any of the Jailbreaks that I have done. If something goes very wrong you always have the choice of restoring as a new iPhone.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
My friend bought an iPhone a couple days ago and I was like Oh cool, what apps can I recommend for him? And I realized that there were damned close to zero that I thought were actually useful.

I was jailbroke w my V1 phone and very happy with it's general functionality. I've given the official apps a chance, but it's fallen completely flat with providing the things I want. They are a bunch of useless toys for the most part. Actually useful things, such as tethering apps, are deleted. Lol, they haven't even been able to get something as simple as update alerts working correctly. Pathetic. They should hire hackers - they had that working a year ago.

Anyways, looking forward to simple things like being able to have something besides a black background for my icons again.
I could not agree more. Welcome to the club.