Had my iPhone 4 replaced at Apple Store today

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Hi, they had me on record for an earlier problem that began replicating itself lately.

I was out of warranty by about 1 month.

I had wanted to purchase (3rd party) Apple care for year 2, but got laid off in July, so question, what would happen if I purchased Apple care and tried to use it now (for the second year), or, since they gave me essentially a new phone, should I not worry about it?

Thanks!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think you can get Apple Care on a replacement phone that was replaced after the warranty expired. However, the warranty is slightly extended when you have it replaced within 90 days of it expiring. Yours will be covered for 90 days from the date you had it replaced, which is pretty good considering it was expired before you took it in for a free replacement.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
It's funny you say that, as at dinner we were discussing this and realized exactly what you said.

It's essentially a new phone, it should last a year easily (since a lot of early play with it mode - it's new to me may be reduced anyway).

So the additional 90 days (plus the 1 month that I was over the year) means about8 mos uncovered, then the next phone.

We will get coverage for my kids though, on their phones, they have used/played with them the last 2 weeks for roughly 18 hours a day.

Thanks for the comment, nice to see similar thoughts.