Hairline crack/fiber underneath the screen glass?

Joshie

Bronze
May 24, 2007
I was cleaning the dust off my iPhone screen today, I have a black 3GS, and I noticed that there was a mark that wasn't coming off... I instantly freaked out (lol), and wiped it with a tiny drop of water and it still didn't come off. I can't feel the mark as a scratch on top of the screen, and I think it might be underneath. I have never dropped my phone and I baby it like it's a newborn. Any ideas?

sl0ppyshat

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
i would take it back to the Apple store and explain to them exactly how it happened. Also, show them how it has never been dropped. I overheard a genius dealing with another customer who screen was shattered , and she wanted Apple to replace it. The genius said if it was a hairline crack they would but it was obviously dropped and there was nothing he could do for her.

so give it a shot and my an appointment

Joshie

Bronze
May 24, 2007
Well I forgot to mention that I am I ln my 30 days at AT&T would they replace mine at the AT&T store instead of having to drive 60 miles to the Apple store?

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Do your self a favor and take care of it while your in the 30 days. Go to ATT and tell them the phone is defective and you talked to Apple support on the phone. And they WILL swap it out if they have any in stock. don't mention the scratch or whatever though, make up some other problem. Home button not working properly or continuous dropped calls.

Joshie

Bronze
May 24, 2007
Do your self a favor and take care of it while your in the 30 days. Go to ATT and tell them the phone is defective and you talked to Apple support on the phone. And they WILL swap it out if they have any in stock. don't mention the scratch or whatever though, make up some other problem. Home button not working properly or continuous dropped calls.
I called AT&T store that I bought it from and they said that it falls under a warranty issue, and I have to deal with Apple. So I can either 1. Drive 60 miles to an Apple store and take time out of what I need to do to do this. 2. Mail my phone to them and wait for it to be fixed/replacement (up to 10 days without phone). or 3. Pay 40$ to get a new phone and send my old one back.

Joshie

Bronze
May 24, 2007
So should I even bothering making a Apple store appointment? Or would they not give me a new one or fix it? It's clearly an internal mark.

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Well you can go to the store and tell them that the phone is going sluggish and the gps or something isn't working and test your luck. Personally id go to att since your still under the 30 days. and Demand a replacement because of defective item. I did this and i had no issues. Tell them that Apple sent you here since your still under 30 days.

Joshie

Bronze
May 24, 2007
Well you can go to the store and tell them that the phone is going sluggish and the gps or something isn't working and test your luck. Personally id go to att since your still under the 30 days. and Demand a replacement because of defective item. I did this and i had no issues. Tell them that Apple sent you here since your still under 30 days.
Well the AT&T store said that it's a warranty issue and that the 30 days is only if you're not happy with the phone and what another brand.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
I would just leave the phone the way it is FOR NOW. Then when you find time to make your way to your nearest Apple store make an appointment and they should be able to take care of your problem.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I would just leave the phone the way it is FOR NOW. Then when you find time to make your way to your nearest Apple store make an appointment and they should be able to take care of your problem.

Exactly, don't make a special trip just to go to the Apple store but when you know you will be in that area schedule an appointment.

I do suggest though going online and booking your app with the genius bar a day or two in advance as those spots can fill up fast

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
Exactly, don't make a special trip just to go to the Apple store but when you know you will be in that area schedule an appointment.

I do suggest though going online and booking your app with the genius bar a day or two in advance as those spots can fill up fast
Yeah that's what I would do because you can still use your phone. As fugly as that crack looks you'll be alright just schedule an appointment one day when you have some free time.

Joshie

Bronze
May 24, 2007
Hey, just letting everyone know that I took my iPhone to the Apple Store, and they said were first talking about how it's a cosmetic issue and that they don't cover this, but then the nice Apple Girl let her supervisor take a look and they confirmed it was an internal issue, and they replaced my screen for free.

:) Very happy.

crystus

Bronze
Jul 5, 2009
Deltona, FL
I have the same type of mark on my iPhone, but mine is an issue with the screen protector. once i take it off it is no longer there and no matter what I do to the protector it i still on there,

djm7105

Jun 30, 2010
Hey, just letting everyone know that I took my iPhone to the Apple Store, and they said were first talking about how it's a cosmetic issue and that they don't cover this, but then the nice Apple Girl let her supervisor take a look and they confirmed it was an internal issue, and they replaced my screen for free.

:) Very happy.
I ALSO have the exact same hairline crack! Right below the headphone jack and I never dropped it or sat on it. What location did you go to where they determined it to be an internal warranty issue, and do you have any additional info you received from them?

I know the thread ended a few months ago but I appreciate any response and thanks!

Joshie

Bronze
May 24, 2007
I actually just made a genius bar appointment at the Apple store went in. The girl looked at it and then showed the manager/supervisor and they just replaced my screen because it was inside the phone not on the outside. Took all of 5 minutes.

Mar 19, 2008
I took my 3GS to Apple with a cracked back plate at the connector and because it was still within the year(under warranty) they gave me a new phone. I say take it in and get a new phone. Be sure to make an appt.