Hairline scratch on iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by imutter, Sep 23, 2013.

1. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

My black iPhone 5s seemed to have gotten a scratch.
    It's hardly visible but it's there and I can feel it.
    Now what would cause it? I have used it at home and 1 time walking the dogs?
    I had no issue with neither of the iPhones 5 we own. And son is not exactly gently it goes in his school book bag and gym bags for Lacrosse and TKD. My men have no screen protectors and pants pockets and their phone glass is flawless! Not happy! Specially not happy since the Apple store is booked for genius appointment till later this week.

2. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

My advice : try to return it. When I originally got my ip5, it had a little area (very small) that looked faded on the back, like a small spot. I let it go as I thought it wasn't worth the hassle of having it replaced. Over time it grew and got worse. It was a defect, not something I did. I finally went in and got it replaced. I was probably lucky they didn't deny me and claim it was my fault.
    If you do it now, there's a better chance they will just replace it.

Sent using iCafe app

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

It can be that the phone came like that. I doubt Apple will exchange it as described.

4. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

Make an appointment for as soon as they are available. Try different stores. This is not your fault. It came like that and they should replace it. Since there are no referbs yet you will get a new one. After you get it, inspect it thoroughly before leaving.

That is a pain, I know how it feels to get a defective iPhone. I went through five iPhone 5 phones when I received mine last year. There were a lot of issues, but I received new iPhones each time I went in because it was early in the game.

Get in there early. Get this taken care of.

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

amy7yte2.jpg adeqe6ur.jpg
    Pictures still i have no idea how they got there

6. cliffeman

cliffeman Zealot
    Gold

They should exchange at the Apple store. I had to get one exchanged Friday evening because the screen had a really strange ghosting effect on the top right area. We took it to the Apple store, the guy exchanged with with out hesitation. They have phones in stock for this very reason.

7. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

EWW! Oh yeah, get them to give you another one ASAP! That looks bad. I wouldn't want to feel that as I was operating my phone all day.

You could put a screen protector on it to cover it but you would still know the scratches were there and depending on the protector still feel them.

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

do I need to make a genius appointment ? I can not get in until Wednesday at the further away store or should just walk in?

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I hope you kept all the packaging. Not the courier box but the Apple box it came in. Before you go to the Genius bar, reset your phone back to factory, don't activate it. Put all the plastic films back on the phone. Put everything back in the box. When you get there, tell them you discovered the scratches before activating the phone. Put your SIM back in your old iPhone just in case they are able to see what iPhone you're using. I'm not sure if they will be able to see if it was activated after you factory reset it. It's worth a shot.

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@imutter

You need a Genius appointment. They don't usually take walk-ins, especially now. Make it online ASAP at the store you know is available.

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I got a new line of service with AT&T and I have the Moto x I have been using too
    I have all packaging but I should not say it was like that, There is no way gorilla glass get's scratched that easy just by handling the phone. I have 14 days with AT&T too.
    I got the earliest appointment Wednesday I guess I update here on what happens.

12. cliffeman

cliffeman Zealot
    Gold

When I brought the phone back Friday. We brought the box with everything in it and the guy did an even exchange on the phones and he reset the phone and we were done. Took the phone home and restored the back up that was made before bringing the phone back to the store.

13. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Thanks I hope it goes that smooth for me.
    I back up in the cloud since I have started this as a new phone and my old back ups are still on my laptop. I am not even done getting all Apps and song playlists the way I want it.

14. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Bene there done that.

Return it.

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Scratches usually occur due to something abrasive rubbing the surface of an object, be it glass or metal. A scratch can happen when you least expect it. You can try to claim it as a manufacturing defect or learn to live with it. It's probably just bad luck.

16. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

AT the store now

17. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@imutter Which Apple store are you at?

Sent using iCafe app

18. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

So..., did they exchange?

19. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@imutter
    Yeah. Let us know something. I'm on the edge of my seat over here. I hope it's going well.

20. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

2une7ate.jpg
    je3yty8y.jpg
    I got a scratch free phone now

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk