Half a genius

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Hi guys & gals. I've been here for almost a year now, and I finally made it to my 500th post. Nothing special. I feel a little bit accomplished just sticking around at any forum; I've been so crappy at posting on them the last few years (even the ones I run) that I didn't expect anything to catch on like I have here.

My name is Dennis Field, I'm 23, and I'm an avid new-tech geek. By that, I mean when I go to sleep at night, my dreams consist of gadgets, gizmos, and the cool things I could do or make with them. My daydreams are usually about the same thing, too. It's somewhat of a problem for my financial well-being; I take it too far every now and then, in fact lost my power, phone, net, and nearly lost my home. But I'm a little better at it now (those are the kind of mistakes where you get to a certain point, you really only make em once).

Professionally, I develop software for an audio company, ranging from using Visual Basic .NET to whip up user interface prototypes for old, complex speaker analysis software, all the way to getting down and dirty with C, reading binary files and learning the joys of pointers, references, indirection, and memory allocation.

In whatever spare time I can find, I try to manage a few online communities; two of them in the form of straight up discussion boards, and one in the form of an online, text-only, browser-based strategy game. I developed the game from scratch, based on what I wanted to play, and what I think other people wanted to play too (from another game that fell out of favor with its community)

I went to school for about 3 years from 2004-2007 for Web Development at Indiana University / Purdue University - Indianapolis. Dropped out without a degree, because it was getting too expensive and I wasn't learning anything new, and my concentration suffered because of it. Everything I was actually using at work, I taught it to myself, and everything I was doing in my spare time was how I learned. I realized around the same time that after all the experience I had, and the career path I want to go down (being my own boss, etc.), my degree wouldn't mean a lick.

User interface design has been my latest interest, inspired largely (initially) by the iPhone. I was totally enamored with it when I first saw it, and I wanted to know more about it and where it came from. I started to explore more about Apple, reviewing old product videos and Stevenotes and such, and learned that their modus operandi all along really fits well with mine - make things that you, yourself, would want to use, and make them easy and powerful. The kind of thing that can be figured out without a manual. I'd like to work for Apple, but they're pretty far away, me being in Indianapolis. So, I'll probably do the next best thing and just be a developer inspired by their philosophies.

man, this is getting deep... better cut it short before I get all emotional

Living with nothing but my dreams, but someday I'll be living them out...

Here's hoping for another 500 posts, which will probably take me long enough that I'll have another life story to write about.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thanks for the little intro. I love to learn more about what people here really do (other than poke around on here).

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Congratulations, Fury. Thanks for the personal information; like Lisa, I really enjoy learning about the fellow posters. Just make sure you stick around to do your 1,000 post. :)

quanyin

Aug 28, 2008
hey,fury!

you've inspired me. I'm new to iec (except reading to fix/learn stuff). just posted once till now.... iPhone got me going on the path to being n00b-no-more....reading your post, I resolve to be (at least somewhat) active on this site.
thanks for your openess,
quanyin (who loves, and occasionally even makes after a fashion, gadgets & gizmos)

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
hey cool reveal
what kind of other gadgets do you own?
I'm pretty minimalized. Although I lust after them endlessly, besides the iPhone, I don't really have any gadgets. Various bits of computers and computer parts and computer accessories, I've got plenty. I think I have at least half a dozen computers in this room alone, half of those inoperable. A cedar chest full of motherboards, various add-on cards (ISA, PCI, even an AGP video card), cables, power adapters, peripherals (mice, keyboards) and small parts (processors, memory, jumpers, screws)

Cause I never know when I'm gonna need something. The last few times I got rid of any of my hardware, I needed it just a short time after. So I never get rid of it anymore, that way I never need it. :laugh2:
Congratulations, Fury. Thanks for the personal information; like Lisa, I really enjoy learning about the fellow posters. Just make sure you stick around to do your 1,000 post. :)
I'll give it my best shot!
Actually, I hadn't heard much about him until I looked him up per your post.
hey,fury!

you've inspired me. I'm new to iec (except reading to fix/learn stuff). just posted once till now.... iPhone got me going on the path to being n00b-no-more....reading your post, I resolve to be (at least somewhat) active on this site.
thanks for your openess,
quanyin (who loves, and occasionally even makes after a fashion, gadgets & gizmos)
It's a great place to be. I'm glad you enjoyed my post!