Handbrake crashing when loading DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by llrickman, May 11, 2013.

1. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

Im not sure where to post this so i'll start here.

Im having trouble with handbrake. It crashes everytime i try to load a dvd to it. I have a late 08 alum macbook and and using Handbrake 9.5 the new is is 64 bit and my machine is a 32.

Anyway anyone know what could be causing this or am i just out of luck?

Thanks

Larry

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is this happening with just a few DVDs or all of them? If it's all of them, try uninstalling/reinstalling Handbrake. If it's just a few DVDs, try one of the following suggestions. Some movies are really finicky.

1. Use DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink (PC) or MakeMKV or RipIt (Mac) first to rip the Video_TS files, then use Handbrake to encode the Video_TS file instead of having Handbrake do all the work.

Or
    2. Start the movie in your DVD player app, then go to the menu and find the title number for the main movie. Then open Handbrake and load that title number instead of the entire DVD.

3. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

Seems to be happening with all 3 so far. But I'll try what you said and see if it works

Funny I've never had a problem with it before

Thanks

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're welcome. I just edited my other post to add in a couple more programs since I re-read your original post and saw that you're using a Mac.

5. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

when i start the dvd player how do i go about finding out the title number in the menu. i have been trying find it but no luck. I can click on the movie in finder then open the TS folder but don't know which one it is from there

6. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I second this. Really, this sounds like more work, but it's the best way to rip DVD's and blu rays. MakeMKV works on Windows and Mac, and rips DVDs and Blu Rays. Then you use handbrake on the MKV file, and you're golden.

7. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

I found a free version of macx DVD ripper something or other and it has seemed to work

Sent using iCafe app