Handbrake error: The CLI is about to read the DVD...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Headie_Fishing

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
So I just downloaded and installed the newest and greatest update to HandBrake for PC. I have never used the program before now so this problem is not new to me. I start HandBrake and select the iPhone preset then insert my DVD, browse, find the D: drive, it then tells me "The CLI is about to read the DVD...This process could take up to a minute." After some time (it varies from a matter of seconds to over a minute) it comes up with the error "No title(s) found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copyright protected source."

I have now tried this with multiple DVD's including 300, Curb Your Enthusiasm (Season 3), and Dumb & Dumber, but I keep getting this error. The fact that some of these DVD's are older hints to me that the problem is not in copyright protection but something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The problem is the encryption on the disks. Google a program called "Dvd43" and install it. It's a tiny program that runs at startup and decrypts the DVD as soon as you put it in the drive! :)

Once I installed it, I've not had a problem since.

On a related note, there's a few Handbrake settings that I have come across that work for me without fail.

1) Pick the "iPhone" setting and change the following:

a) change to MPEG4
b) select "auto crop"
c) uncheck the chapter markers box

I leave everything else the way it is and get good quality videos at reasonable sizes.

Enjoy! :)

Found the program at: http://www.dvd43.com

Headie_Fishing

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Woofus, thanks for the info on decrypting the DVDs.

I have the program installed and I monitor it once I insert a DVD however I am still having the same problem. As far as your source options do you select folder and then simply click the DVD or do you open it and use the Video folder?

On one attempt when I simply selected the Video folder it started to work but took well over 2 hours and appeared to be stuck at 56% so I aborted. How long does it usually take?

Thanks in advance.

Woofus, thanks for the info on decrypting the DVDs.

I have the program installed and I monitor it once I insert a DVD however I am still having the same problem. As far as your source options do you select folder and then simply click the DVD or do you open it and use the Video folder?

On one attempt when I simply selected the Video folder it started to work but took well over 2 hours and appeared to be stuck at 56% so I aborted. How long does it usually take?

Thanks in advance.
Hmmmm?!? Odd.

Ok, when you put the DVD in, does the little DVD43 smiley face turn green? (It should be a green smiley face)

And yes, I just pick "Folder" and then go to the "Video_TS" (I think that's what it's called) folder. It should only take a few minutes. It takes a little longer if you're doing TV show DVDs where there's a bucnh to select from..but shouldn't take hours.

Not sure what to tell you.. just make sure that you're using the latest version of Handbrake. Also check the Handbrake website. They have a forum on there that might be able to shed some more light on the problem.

Once you get it working, I'm sure that you'll love it! ;) It's just getting it working that's the problem.

Got my fingers crossed! :D

Headie_Fishing

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Hmmmm?!? Odd.

Ok, when you put the DVD in, does the little DVD43 smiley face turn green? (It should be a green smiley face)

And yes, I just pick "Folder" and then go to the "Video_TS" (I think that's what it's called) folder. It should only take a few minutes. It takes a little longer if you're doing TV show DVDs where there's a bucnh to select from..but shouldn't take hours.

Not sure what to tell you.. just make sure that you're using the latest version of Handbrake. Also check the Handbrake website. They have a forum on there that might be able to shed some more light on the problem.

Once you get it working, I'm sure that you'll love it! ;) It's just getting it working that's the problem.

Got my fingers crossed! :D

Yup, i've got the green smiley and everything.
It stops with this line "Encoding task 1 of 1, .56% <9.04 fps, avg 33.19 fps, ETA 1h22m16s."

It keeps trying to read the CD for hours or until you stop it.

Thanks for the help and if any of that triggers any ideas let me know.

thanks again.

Yup, i've got the green smiley and everything.
It stops with this line "Encoding task 1 of 1, .56% <9.04 fps, avg 33.19 fps, ETA 1h22m16s."

It keeps trying to read the CD for hours or until you stop it.

Thanks for the help and if any of that triggers any ideas let me know.

thanks again.
You're getting that message BEFORE you start the encode process? Just when you're trying to read the disk, initially? Hmmmm?

Not sure what to tell ya...I'm stumped.

Headie_Fishing

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
You're getting that message BEFORE you start the encode process? Just when you're trying to read the disk, initially? Hmmmm?

Not sure what to tell ya...I'm stumped.
No, that is what happened with one DVD during encoding.

I tried another one, Tommy Boy and the process took about 2 hours. Once it finally finished and I thought it worked I went to add the file into iTunes and it wouldn't add. I used the exact settings you mentioned in your first post...

How did you try and put them into iTunes? I typically do an "import file" to get them in there. The big things I've found that cause it to choke is the chapter selection And the MPEG-4 settings. I also don't change the bitrate since that can cause issues as well.

Did you get the error when you try and sync, or when you just try and add it?

Does the file play at all? (with quicktime?)

The encoding time sounds about right. It really depnds on the speed of your PC, dvd drive, etc. I'll typically start it going and minimize it. But once I figured out the settings, I've had pretty good luck with it.

Keep playing with it. Keep me posted! :)

urba0119

Jan 6, 2009
Handbrake help dos..

I have another question for you sir. I rip my movies but when playing them via iTunes or quickplay and even after syncing them to my 3g they are all pixilated and sketchy. they skip and do not play clear/ fluently. any recommendations?

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
I have another question for you sir. I rip my movies but when playing them via iTunes or quickplay and even after syncing them to my 3g they are all pixilated and sketchy. they skip and do not play clear/ fluently. any recommendations?

I had this happen to me using Handbrake, what i did was go to the sidebar on it and choose the iPod settings not iPhone and then check 2 pass encoding and check turbo first pass and it has worked well for me.

I just added '21" to my phone and it looks great