Handbrake help

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
ok, im not on a mac, and all the help i find has directions for a mac pc...so if someone could help me with the setting i need, how to get it to the phone...and it says that "no titles found...make sure i have selected a vaild, non-copy protected source" and tells me to go to the faqs

do i have to rip the dvd to my pc first then use HB or no ?
please some one help...i don't wana pay for videos again that i have at home if i can get this to work

thanks

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
yes i found that a lil after i posted lol
but it still says something about being a copy protected disk, or it takes to long to "read" the disk when i selcet the video tc folder :mad:

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
thanks, now thats working...once its done and in the file...i just put it in iTunes and then it can go in my phone ?
and how much space do movies take up ?

thanks, now thats working...once its done and in the file...i just put it in iTunes and then it can go in my phone ?
and how much space do movies take up ?
It all depends on the movie, and the quality of the encoding.

I typically do all of my files in Handbrake using the iPhone preset:

Then change...

H.264 (ipod) to MPEG 4
No Crop to Auto Crop
Uncheck Chapter Markers box
leave average bitrate at 960
Leave everything else as is...

Most movies will come out with good quality at about a gig or less.

(Transformers was 1.09 gigs)

fsas06

Silver
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas
lol i just put in transformer it was 1.04 gigs for me...so ill just make a cupple movies, and change them out
thanks i think i got it now

adlx21

Bronze
Jun 21, 2008
hi, I just downloaded handbrake to convert avi files into mp4 for my iPhone 3g. the video shows but the audio is messed up. all i hear is a loud annoying "buzz buzz buzz". does anyone know what Im doing wrong? i used the preset configs on the right (iPhone and ipod touch)..

any help would be great, thanks!

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
hi, I just downloaded handbrake to convert avi files into mp4 for my iPhone 3g. the video shows but the audio is messed up. all i hear is a loud annoying "buzz buzz buzz". does anyone know what Im doing wrong? i used the preset configs on the right (iPhone and ipod touch)..

any help would be great, thanks!
Use this one for converting movies: XviD4PSP (it's free and working)

Last edited by a moderator:

adlx21

Bronze
Jun 21, 2008
picazzo, thank you very much! the video quality for this program is pretty dang good :)
AND audio works!
thanks again!

It appears that the problem is that the encoding either froze or paused with 1 second remaining; why would that happen? I started the process approx 9 hours ago on a Core 2 Duo iMac, so it should have completed by now.

Why would it stop with 1 sec remaining?!

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
What version you running of Handbrake? Im using 0.9.3
when you select from the menu on the right ( presets )under Apple instead of selecting iPhone select the iPod one then select in the middle two pass encoding , then select turbo first pass.

This shouldnt take more than an hour or hour n a half to complete .
I put 21 on my in under an hour

Thanks! I decided to delete what was saved, and downloaded the newer version of Handbrake (9.3); it worked like a charm. The key is having VLC running as well. I found a couple of video clips on YouTube that did a great job of walking me through each step. I would post the link, but not sure if that is allowed per forum rules.

I can't believe how simple it was...and the quality of the movies are phenomenal!

JessRuss

Jan 26, 2009
I just downloaded handbrake for windows. I wanted to do Titanic. I selected it in 'source' and select the preselect 'ipod', and forgot to put the name of the chapters in. I pressed begin and it came up that the ETA was like 7 hours. About an hour in, i realised about the chapters. I minimised the little black window and put the names in. There is nothing to press to enter them so i paused it and then restarted it. The ETD restarted it's self and the started going up, then down the up and it ended up being like 9 hours. I left the computer on at night to let it do its thing. I came back in the morning. It still had a few minutes to go then it was done. I bought up iTunes and imported it but when i went to play it. I was just colour ful squares - bright pink, green, black, grey, loads- and it skipped and moved the squares. It didn't work at all!
What on earth went wrong?! Some one help me!

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
Im not sure if the one for widows operates the same as the one for Mac. but again what i do is select from the presets ipod not iPhone. then click 2 pass encoding and turbo first pass if you don't do this it will come out choppy

Also when u begin select your source and choose the one that is longest running time. use as directed above and on a movie like titanic it should take much more than an hour to encode and be ready to be synced to your iPhone