Handbrake help

Feb 1, 2009
First posting I have had my 16 gig i Pod Touch 2G for a week now. Starting to get the hang of this device. Came here looking for setting for Handbrake that will enable it to play the videos of which I have about 300 gig's worth. I used the setting listed above. I am hoping for the best:laugh2:

How do you use the "add to queue" function?

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
i did "Family Guy" season one and 2 the other day 4 disc each with 7 episodes on it.I did them one episode at a time.
what i did was get the first one started then click on the area where it shows each episode or each chapter hightlight the next one in line and click add to queue .
That way i could start one disc and leave it till it was finished instead of having to come back and start the next one every 15 min. or so

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I'm using Handbrake on my Mac but I have a couple problems. First it takes a minimum of 2 hours to rip. Is this normal. I had purchased MagicDVD for my PC and usually it took 30-40 minutes. Second the file comes out between 1.5 and 2.3 gigs. That's huge for what I'm used to. Am I missing some simple Handbrake settings?
Thanks

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
I just downloaded it and went with the defaults. I'm at work now so I'll have to look tonight. I guess I'm trying to find out how long it should take to rip a 1.5 hour movie and how big should the file be. This is for playing on my 3GS.

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
The default is probably for the Apple TV and is pretty big and takes a few hours. Make sure to select the iPhone toggle.. it should be about 600mb I think

fz1dave

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
nw indiana
Yeah, definitely just a matter of selecting the iPhone for the output device. I've got 7 movies loaded so far and it's only taken up 4.55 gb of memory.

It does still take awhile though. About an hour fifteen or so.

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Thanks guys. I got it to around 600 MB so I'm good with that. It's still slow but as long as I'm not trying to do 6-8 movies at a time I'll be ok. I need to check out the queue feature to see if I can load several movies and let them rip overnight.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
You can do that as long as the movies are stored on your hard drive. If you're ripping these from DVDs, you can use mactheripper to do that.

And keep in mind that converting video is heavily processor dependent, so speed will vary from computer to computer.

Also, if you haven't already, make sure to update the presets by going to presets->update built-in presets.

{StatuSChecKa}

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2010
NorCal
Ok, so I like to think of myself as a computer nerd, but I never have any luck when it comes to copying or ripping DVD's.

I am trying to rip 3 dvds so I can watch them on a tablet during a trip. I attempted handbrake in the past with no success and now i'm back to try it again.

Here are the errors I get on the Vista: dvdnav: read error, error reading nav packet. It repeats itself a million times and Google gives no good answer.

On the XP I get the above message along with "...Not a PS Packet."

I have downloaded VLC Media Player, And I have ran Handbrake as Admin, and I have tried some of my oldest DVDs.
Not a damn thing works, any suggestions.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
can you post the whole log? It may be handbrake is having trouble with one specific track (like a preview or extra feature), and if you tell it to only use the main title track, it'll work better.

Another thing you can try is using a DVD ripper to remove the copy protection from the DVD and also save it to your hard drive prior to transcoding with handbrake. It sounds like extra work, but it really makes the job easier. It's been a while since I've used a ripper for windows, but DVDDecrypter was good last I used it.

{StatuSChecKa}

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2010
NorCal
Well I made progress.
Handbrake just needed a little help from a friend. I used DVD Decrypter to copy the files to my PC. Once on my PC, the files read nicely in Handbrake, and Handbrake then successfuly encoded to a MP4.
Great Success.

Kopitar11

Jan 25, 2012
I have been trying to rip a dvd that I own into the proper format for my iPhone 4S so that I can watch them on my phone. I have tried multiple movies and multiple options. I am able to rip the DVD and import to iTunes. Once into iTunes I can move it to my iPhone. The problem is that the picture and audio are completely distorted. I have done as much research as I can and I have tried everything I can find out there. Here is what I see when I play the movie and what my settings are currently. Please help

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Are you selecting the iPhone 4 or the iPod as the device preset? I have been using Handbrake for the last couple of years and haven't encountered any issues with the playback.

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app