Hands-free car solutions

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
I'm tired of fumbling with my iPhone to receive or make calls while driving, so I've been looking for a hands-free solution. I've found a number of products that claim to do this (most from the UK, possibly because of more stringent laws regarding cell phone use in cars there).

They all seem to let you answer calls with one button press. Unfortunately, none of the product descriptions or reviews say how they work to make calls with the iPhone. Most support voice dialing, but of course the iPhone doesn't, so how do you choose the number you want to call?

Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
I did some more searching and found the Blueant SuperTooth 3, a compact device that clips onto the car's visor and pairs with the iPhone. The latest version announces incoming callers after downloading your contact list from the phone. How well it works with the iPhone specifically is up in the air, since it's apparently about a month from shipping.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
I recently installed one of these car stereos that has bluetooth built in and it works pretty good with my iPhone. While listening to music if someone calls me the music will silence and the stereo will ring. I just press one button on the stereo to answer the call and the conversation is held through the stereo. I don't even have to take my iPhone out of my pocket. There is a way to make a phone directory on it but scrolling through the directory to find the number I want to dial seems to take longer than just dialing using its remote or even dialing using my iPhone. It even has an SD slot and a USB port for flash drives.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
and what do u call that beast?

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
and what do u call that beast?
Sorry. If you go to ebay you can find them by doing a search for VR3 Bluetooth. They have a video that tells more about it.
The actual model number is VR500CS-BT and it's made by Virtual Reality Sound Labs.

Jhors2

Bronze
Nov 11, 2007
Another good site for Headunits like that is crutchfield.com you can search your exact call model/make and then you can look at each individually to see if it has bluetooth capabilities.

xigudun

Jun 26, 2009
I recently installed one of these car stereos that has bluetooth built in and it works pretty good with my iPhone. While listening to music if someone calls me the music will silence and the stereo will ring. I just press one button on the stereo to answer the call and the conversation is held through the stereo. I don't even have to take my iPhone out of my pocket. There is a way to make a phone directory on it but scrolling through the directory to find the number I want to dial seems to take longer than just dialing using its remote or even dialing using my iPhone. It even has an SD slot and a USB port for flash drives.

GADeputy,

I have exactly the same stereo as you, and iPhone 3g with 3.0 software, but the two simply won't connect to each other. I go through the pairing process, and it says "paired" on the stereo, but then just does nothing on the phone.

Is there anything special that you did, or any firmware updates on the stereo that you are aware of?

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm a bit ticked off having bought the stereo for it not to work with the iPhone.

Just for clarity, works perfectly with a Blackberry 8100.

Thanks!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I have the Blueant SuperTooth 3 and I can verify that it works great with the 3GS. It uploads the contacts so it can announce the incoming callers name rather than phone number and also has voice activated calling.

The downside is, like so many bluetooth headsets/speaker phones, it has a default pairing code that can't be changed. I'm currently looking for a replacement because of this.

xigudun

Jun 26, 2009
Europa, though I am happy you have a working solution, I have already bought and fitted the stereo, so I need help getting it to work rather than looking at other solutions.

Thanks.

GADeputy

Bronze
Jan 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
GADeputy,

I have exactly the same stereo as you, and iPhone 3g with 3.0 software, but the two simply won't connect to each other. I go through the pairing process, and it says "paired" on the stereo, but then just does nothing on the phone.

Is there anything special that you did, or any firmware updates on the stereo that you are aware of?

Any help would be really appreciated as I'm a bit ticked off having bought the stereo for it not to work with the iPhone.

Just for clarity, works perfectly with a Blackberry 8100.

Thanks!
Sorry, I'm not going to be able to help you. My stereo paired to my iPhone and worked great until a few days ago when I upgraded my phone to 3.0. Now I get the same problem that you're having. I'm starting to hate the 3.0 upgrade. I'm hoping Apple will release a fix for this.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, that wasn't really a response to your question. I was just chiming in because someone above said they didn't know how compatible the blueant was with iPhones. I know it's a really old thread, just adding that in case someone finds this thread on a search.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I went to my friendly neighborhood car stereo store to check out Bluetooth possibilities for my second car.

I told them I have an iPhone and I want to be able to charge, do handsfree calling, and stream music through stereo Bluetooth.

They told me the BEST system for the iPhone is Parrot:

It works with your existing car stereo. The MKi9200 costs $300. The car stereo store would install it for $75.
The MKi9100 comes with a monochrome screen and is $50 less.

I'm not going to rush into anything, but I'm SERIOUSLY considering this.

PAPER

Sep 29, 2008
Europa, though I am happy you have a working solution, I have already bought and fitted the stereo, so I need help getting it to work rather than looking at other solutions.

Thanks.
Sorry, I'm not going to be able to help you. My stereo paired to my iPhone and worked great until a few days ago when I upgraded my phone to 3.0. Now I get the same problem that you're having. I'm starting to hate the 3.0 upgrade. I'm hoping Apple will release a fix for this.

HELLO All . I'm not sure this is going to help either of you
since I have an ALPINE stereo & Bluetooth unit , but I
figured I would give it a shot . Anyway I had the same problem
when I upgraded to 3.0 firmware . Well my solution was to
go into bluetooth feature on my iPhone click the arrow
next to the Device it found & hit forget , then turn bluetooth
off & then back on & let it search for a new device . I had to do
this a couple time's before it finally paired & worked properly .

HOPE THIS HELPS ?

EDIT =
I Forgot to mention I also cleared all paired device's from
my Stereo head unit ...

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I went to my friendly neighborhood car stereo store to check out Bluetooth possibilities for my second car.

I told them I have an iPhone and I want to be able to charge, do handsfree calling, and stream music through stereo Bluetooth.

They told me the BEST system for the iPhone is Parrot:

It works with your existing car stereo. The MKi9200 costs $300. The car stereo store would install it for $75.
The MKi9100 comes with a monochrome screen and is $50 less.

I'm not going to rush into anything, but I'm SERIOUSLY considering this.
I just priced this same unit on Amazon and it is listed for $234.06.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e...&field-keywords=parrot+mki9200&sprefix=parrot

My local audio store wants to sell it to me for $347.00 and charge &100 to $150 to install it. If I buy it I will do so through Amazon and have it installed by the dealer after checking his price for installation.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I just priced this same unit on Amazon and it is listed for $234.06.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e...&field-keywords=parrot+mki9200&sprefix=parrot

My local audio store wants to sell it to me for $347.00 and charge &100 to $150 to install it. If I buy it I will do so through Amazon and have it installed by the dealer after checking his price for installation.
I wonder how hard it is to install yourself? That one guy on Amazon had to end up splicing wires! But, he seemed to think it was only because of his particular vehicle. I wonder if there is installation instructions on the website?

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I think the probability of messing up and spending more money to fix the problem than spending to have someone who knows what they are doing is very high. I am going to have this done on my wife's '04 Volvo and it has fiber optics which I am sure means I could really screw it up. :cool: