Happy Birthday Hawk!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Just saw that down at the bottom of the forums. Have a great one, dude!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Woot! Getting wiser rocks... enjoy your birthday, Hawk!

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Hey, Hope you have a great day!
Enjoy and best wishes,
Connie:laugh2:

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
^ What they said. I hope it's the best one, yet, Hawk. :laugh2:

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Happy Birthday HAWK!:laugh2:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Holy Cow! You people are AWESOME!
I apparently missed this completely, Macgirl gave me the heads up!

Thanks everyone, Yesterday was a definitely different.
Not to make a huge post but...
My wife and I bought our first house back on the 8th. 2500sq Ft, close to work, very nice neighbors so far.
We found out that, we needed a new roof, have a leaking skylight that has just a sheet of glass over it, rotten siding on the chimney...and apparently some sort or critter(s) living in the flooring. To top it off, one of the reasons we picked the location was because we are close to my office, and it saves on gas. Then my office announces that they are moving to a new building next year, back down towards where I just moved from. I was in a foul mood yesterday. I could have used the pick-me-up seeing this thread.
My wife took me out to eat last night at this place called Dante's Down the Hatch. It's kinda famous, and if you ever come to Atlanta and like fondue, you HAVE to go to this place. There is a ship in there and they have live Jazz, and in the water surrounding the ship has live gators and turtles in it. It is really one of a kind.
I was in a MUCH better mood when we got there (but it was raining like Moses was getting ready for a cruise) and was feeling fat and happy when we left.
My wife got me Cloverfield on DVD for my present (love that woman).

So there is how my birthday was. Thanks everyone, you made me smile and made my day.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Thanks again.

The house ain't that bad, but it just pisses me off if you knew what we had to go through to buy the house.

We had looked at one that was one neighborhood over, and it was small but nice. We determined that there would be a little modification to 2 walls but that would be about it.
The appraisal came in low. These people were still in the house, and weren't very motivated to actually sell. Since the appraisal was about 10k under the negotiated price, we were advised that they wouldn't take a low-ball offer on the house and we should keep looking, which we did and found the house we eventually bought.
Apparently the sellers from the first house found out about the other home we were looking at, and went after our earnest money by accepting our low-ball bid. The only way to get out of the contract was to give them our thousand.
On the 2nd home, we were supposed to close 3 different times before we actually started signing paperwork. During all that, our mortgage broker quit. It was a nightmare that lasted a month. Now that we are in it.....Well, I am 90% sure that we wouldn't have had any of these problems in the other house.

The good news? MOST of the house was repaired/replaced already, so a couple more things is just par for the course. We did get a great rate though. 5.75%

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
I didn't really get that, but it sounded complicated :)

Thanks again.

The house ain't that bad, but it just pisses me off if you knew what we had to go through to buy the house.

We had looked at one that was one neighborhood over, and it was small but nice. We determined that there would be a little modification to 2 walls but that would be about it.
The appraisal came in low. These people were still in the house, and weren't very motivated to actually sell. Since the appraisal was about 10k under the negotiated price, we were advised that they wouldn't take a low-ball offer on the house and we should keep looking, which we did and found the house we eventually bought.
Apparently the sellers from the first house found out about the other home we were looking at, and went after our earnest money by accepting our low-ball bid. The only way to get out of the contract was to give them our thousand.
On the 2nd home, we were supposed to close 3 different times before we actually started signing paperwork. During all that, our mortgage broker quit. It was a nightmare that lasted a month. Now that we are in it.....Well, I am 90% sure that we wouldn't have had any of these problems in the other house.

The good news? MOST of the house was repaired/replaced already, so a couple more things is just par for the course. We did get a great rate though. 5.75%

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well we had a contract / agreement with the sellers of be first home. Let's use rounded numbers. Say we all agreed ( sellers & buyers) on buying the house ( the 1st one we looked at) for $150k. For the loan to go through, the lender requires an appraisal on the house using FHA regulations. The appraisal came back at $140k. Sellers were mad, we were mad, and we aren't able to get a loan for any more than 97% of 140k.
since our realtor was convinced that the sellers would never take the 140 bid she advised us to look at more houses, but we still had to submit a bid for the appraises amount- expecting them to back out. The sellers waited till the last hour in which to respond, and then accepted the offer. My wife and I are fairly certain that they knew ( from our realtor) that we we interested in another home, which is why they finally accepted the offer. Then we are the one that will have to walk away, but the seller gets our earnest money for taking their house off the market while we negotiated. It all messed up, nut thats what happened.
The other house was a different nightmare altogether, but we got it, and we areok for now.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
well we had a contract / agreement with the sellers of be first home. Let's use rounded numbers. Say we all agreed ( sellers & buyers) on buying the house ( the 1st one we looked at) for $150k. For the loan to go through, the lender requires an appraisal on the house using FHA regulations. The appraisal came back at $140k. Sellers were mad, we were mad, and we aren't able to get a loan for any more than 97% of 140k.
since our realtor was convinced that the sellers would never take the 140 bid she advised us to look at more houses, but we still had to submit a bid for the appraises amount- expecting them to back out. The sellers waited till the last hour in which to respond, and then accepted the offer. My wife and I are fairly certain that they knew ( from our realtor) that we we interested in another home, which is why they finally accepted the offer. Then we are the one that will have to walk away, but the seller gets our earnest money for taking their house off the market while we negotiated. It all messed up, nut thats what happened.
The other house was a different nightmare altogether, but we got it, and we areok for now.
Ah, the joys of buying a new house, but worth it in the end I hope.
Congratulations!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Yeah, I really like the house and I have actually met neighbors! unlike apartment complexes where if you happen to bump into someone in the hall is how you meet your neighbors, These people actually came over and said hello and introduced themselves.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Happy birthday and congrats on the house. Hope you get everything straightened out and are happy in it.

+1 to Dantes. Great place, but the traffic around there is a PITA!

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Happy Birthday Hawk! I know it's late, but better than never. :p

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
thanks again everyone!
the better half is throwing me 2 parties today. One with the families, and tonight with the friends! Talk to you all on Monday.